November 24, 2014, 05:45:26 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M Vanishes from Canon USA Web Site  (Read 13559 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS M Vanishes from Canon USA Web Site
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:52:57 AM »

We were alerted to the fact that Canon USA has removed the EOS M camera from their web site. They still list two of the 3 EOS M lenses, but there doesn’t appear to be any reference at all to the EOS M camera.

Are we going to see a mirrorless from Canon back in North America? At this point, I wouldn’t think so. Unless they completely revamp the product concept, it seems to be a lame duck system for Canon shooters.

There’s the possibility we see an EF based mirrorless system, maybe an even smaller SL1 style DSLR. I love the SL1 and I think removing the prism and introducing a few more pancake style lenses with an EF mount would be welcomed.  I’m speculating, as I haven’t heard anything to actually support such a concept.

Or maybe Canon is going to concentrate on the prosumer level of cameras and lenses, as that appears to be where the money is for companies in this industry at this time.

thanks Tom

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS M Vanishes from Canon USA Web Site
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:52:57 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M Vanishes from Canon USA Web Site
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:59:50 AM »
40mm pancake is a great lens. I'm sure Canon shooters won't mind adding few more to their kit. UWA pancake - like 19mm would be awesome.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

rrcphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:01:18 AM »
meh.  The EOS-M was replaced last December by the M2. this should be no surprise if canon USA doesn't have plans currently to distribute the EOS-M2.

CR .. you're mixing canon and canon usa up in this post / announcement quite a bit.  canon USA doesn't have plans.  canon as afar as we know are still going ahead with EOS-M.  Huge difference.

it's also still listed on Canon Canada.

So perhaps change also your "north america" part too - unless there was a huge geopolitical change here after I went to bed last night.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:36:02 AM by rrcphoto »

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »
Still listed on th UK Canon site...
Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
After burning stock with insanely low prices, it seemed inevitable. I would love to mirrorless options fully compatible with EF / EF-S lenses.
Could be the size of the current SL1, or even lower, accompanied by new pancake lens EF-S, and would make great success.

D.

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:46:29 AM »
Bummer...I really like the EOS M despite its limitations. I was hoping ver. 3 would be released in the US with the 70D sensor, improved AF, EVF and some new lenses.

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »
Hello Kitty Kameras don't sell well in the USA! There should have been a Pro M from the start. Canon could have given us an A6000, an X-Ti, a GH4, or an OM-D E-M1, but they choose not too.

I've been using Canon cameras/lenses for over twenty years -- but no more. Cameras are just tools, and for me, Canon doesn't make the best tools any more. I'm keeping my Full Frame Film Elan 7n, but all of the DSLRs have already left the building.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »

rrcphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »
Bummer...I really like the EOS M despite its limitations. I was hoping ver. 3 would be released in the US with the 70D sensor, improved AF, EVF and some new lenses.

it could be, but considering that M2 was released as regional only canon usa taking it down since it's no longer in production probably makes sense.

dcm

• Canon 70D
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:08:37 PM »
The M and all three lenses are still on the Canon site in Canada.
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 12:10:39 PM »
I could go for a mirrorless FF, even with EF mount. There are already some nice little lenses: 24 2.8 IS, 28 2.8 IS, 35 f/2 IS, 40 2.8 pancake, 50 1.4, 85 1.8

OR bring on an EOS-M Pro , but don't compromise. Make it the best you can deliver, and price it accordingly

weixing

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »
Hi,
   IMHO, the only advantage of mirrorless camera is the smaller size. By decreasing the price of entry level DSLR, the entry level lenses, entry level full frame DSLR, making smaller DSLR and lenses and making good high end compact camera (G16 and G1X Mk2), I think Canon had successfully "limit" the grow of mirrorless market share... only those who want a mirrorless camera or those who really need a small interchangeable camera will go for the mirrorless camera now.

Just my $0.02.

Have a nice day.

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »
Hi,
   IMHO, the only advantage of mirrorless camera is the smaller size. By decreasing the price of entry level DSLR, the entry level lenses, entry level full frame DSLR, making smaller DSLR and lenses and making good high end compact camera (G16 and G1X Mk2), I think Canon had successfully "limit" the grow of mirrorless market share... only those who want a mirrorless camera or those who really need a small interchangeable camera will go for the mirrorless camera now.

Just my $0.02.

Have a nice day.

Small size and weight can be really important, as long as ergonomics and IQ is still good.
In fact, size and weight are the only reasons I'm interested in mirrorless.

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »
This may or may not be the end of the EOS-M line for Canon USA, time will tell.  Personally, I think its a great little complementary camera system, but Canon probably is losing money on every sale under $400.

I'm hoping Canon does continue to develop the M or another line of a really compact camera's with APS-C sensors.  Whether the future design is mirrorless or a small DSLR similar to the SL1, I don't really care.  I think there is a market for a small camera system that is compatible with Canon EF and EF-S lenses.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:39:19 PM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
EF Lenses: 35mm f/2.0 IS, 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, 135mm f/2.0L, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; EF-M Lenses: 22 f/2, 18-55
Speedlites: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »

Over40yearsofCanon

• SX60 HS
  • started with a IVsb2...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 01:10:42 PM »
+1 ^this
I've been holding off on a small mirrorless camera so I can use Canon's flash system, actually.  I have several Canon wireless Speedlites that I distribute around a room when I have small indoor events, and they work very well for getting even light front-to-back throughout the room, but my SLR (5D+grip+L lenses) is large and heavy.  The focussing speed is what lets me catch fleeting moments and expressions; sure the Rebels are smaller, but the prospect of phase-detect focussing speeds coupled with a smaller mount (and correspondingly smaller lenses, body, etc.) is very appealing.  (Little cameras are much less intimidating and attention-getting, and tend to get more natural reactions, if they're noticed at all.)  Add in an EF mount adapter (for occasional use) makes it much easier to stay in the Canon family. I've been visiting CR frequently largely on the hope of an imminent M3 announcement or even rumour. (That, and an old hope of the return of ECF... but that's another topic.  :-\)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »
Canon has made no secret of the poor mirrorless sales in the USA and Europe, and the likelihood that we will not be seeing them. 

The sales figures seem to support this, mirrorless sales have dropped drastically in the USA and Europe, while holding up in Asia.  Its expensive to stock and distribute a camera system, and when times are tough and dollars are tight, dropping poor selling products is going to happen.

This is no reflection on the camera itself, its just that American buyers have small cameras on their phone,  and want something big to get professional images.  Obviously, to those who are informed, that's not true, but the buyers dictate what sellers will offer.
I'd like to see a 5D MK IV with dual pixel sensor that is mirrorless, as long as its big and looks professional, it will sell.

The other thing that sells is a wide zoom.  The SX50 is not only a good camera, but a huge profit maker for canon.

Because Americans have proven that they will pay for more, we might even see more mp in a camera.  computers are now able to handle the load, but tablets and smartphones might have a issue with 200mb files.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »