Gear Talk > Lenses

Re : B + W 105mm Circular Polarizer

(1/4) > >>

Otter:
I am looking into picking up a B + W 105mm Circular Polarizer to go on the end of my Lee filter holder.  Does anyone familar with the product have any idea what the difference between the two that B and H Photo Video sells?  Other then the price of course.  They are both 105mm Kaesemann.  I am not sure what "extra wide" entails considering they are both 105mm.  Any help would be much appreciated!  thanks!!

B+W 105mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Filter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10873-REG/B_W_65016142_105mm_Kaeseman_Circular_Polarizing.html

B+W 105mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Extra Wide MRC Filter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856348-REG/B_W_66_1071051_105mm_Kaesemann_Circular_Polarizer.html

neuroanatomist:
The 'extra wide' version has 105mm threads, but the glass part is wider than that to avoid/reduce vignetting (thus the higher cost).

wickidwombat:
i've been toying with getting one for my tamron 150-600...

but between the UV filter and this it would make filters for the lens cost more than 50% of the cost of the lens  :o

is a CPL usefull on a supertele? Neuro do you use a CPL much on your 600?

Otter:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on June 05, 2014, 09:35:32 PM ---The 'extra wide' version has 105mm threads, but the glass part is wider than that to avoid/reduce vignetting (thus the higher cost).

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the reply Neuro.  Would the addition of threads bring the filter further out from the lens, in essence making them fairly similar?  As well, do you have an idea if these would both fit in a lee holder?

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: wickidwombat on June 05, 2014, 09:50:49 PM ---Is a CPL usefull on a supertele? Neuro do you use a CPL much on your 600?

--- End quote ---

I use my drop-in CPL a fair bit, particularly when shooting around water.

--- Quote from: Otter on June 05, 2014, 10:04:20 PM ---Thanks for the reply Neuro.  Would the addition of threads bring the filter further out from the lens, in essence making them fairly similar?  As well, do you have an idea if these would both fit in a lee holder?

--- End quote ---

The threads don't really add much depth, and the EW filter gets much wider – it has front threads that are 122mm in diameter.

You'd be attaching the CPL to the Lee 105mm holder, which is a just a threaded ring than mounts onto the front of the foundation kit.  Anything with 105mm threads can attach, so both the regular and EW 105mm CPLs you linked would mount.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version