November 28, 2014, 06:22:31 PM

Author Topic: What's Next for Cinema EOS?  (Read 1593 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
What's Next for Cinema EOS?
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »

After a weekend at Cine Gear 2014 in Los Angeles, it became apparent to me that we won’t be seeing any replacements to the EOS C100, EOS C300 or EOS C500 anytime soon. We were told that the EOS C300 is selling “extremely well” and that the EOS C100 is also selling “better than expected”. The EOS C500 is a bit different and isn’t quite as popular as Canon had hoped, but it could be that the camera is in no mans land as far as price/performance and what people are using $20,000 cameras for.

I did get the impression that Canon does plan to be aggressive in the “A camera” space and will take direct aim at the king ARRI. I’m hypothesizing this point, but after talking to various people, I get the feeling that Canon is serious about clawing its way into the professional, large budget cinema market. With the consumer space in photography shrinking, it does make sense to put resources into new markets for growth.

I don’t think we’ll see any Cinema EOS announcements until next April at NAB 2015.

Canon EOS C100 | Canon EOS C300 | Canon EOS C500

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

What's Next for Cinema EOS?
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »

tyger11

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: What's Next for Cinema EOS?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
If they don't get something out at Photokina to compete with the GH4, I suspect most of the low budget indie crowd will consider Canon dead in the water, and start migrating, unless they've already got too much invested in glass and already have a 5D Mk III.

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:03:52 PM »
If they don't get something out at Photokina to compete with the GH4, I suspect most of the low budget indie crowd will consider Canon dead in the water, and start migrating, unless they've already got too much invested in glass and already have a 5D Mk III.

The GH4 is certainly an interesting camera, but not perfect. A lot or most Indies cant afford or handle a full 4K workflow yet, shallow DOF is a challenge on the GH4 since you need much larger aperture lenses to achieve it (think f/1.2 ), XLR is nice, but most people use separate audio and it's not that difficult, some people like Philip Bloom have reported that low light performance is not that great (5D3 is awesome in low light). The GH4 is no longer small and light, and with the Audio option, it's quite large and heavy, and yet still not a good option for ENG ... and it's $4000 . I'm not tempted by the GH4.  The 5D3 footage still has a special beauty to it.

The real threat may come from the Sony A7s ... if reviews confirm the promise. Small, light, full frame, unbelievable low light, and 4K available for a high end production if you really need it. I'd like to see Canon put something head to head with the Sony A7s rather than the GH4

SpaceGhost

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »
It seems to me that the C500 is a C300 on steriods, but not in a good way. Everything about it seems to be stretching its abilities for marking specs. Low frame rates, low bit depth, etc. but it has 4k raw*!

*External recorder needed.

I want what should be a real C500... 4k at 60p 4:4:4 Raw (I'll deal with the external recorder for Raw but then an external recorder should enable 120 frames per second... I'll even accept the 4:4:4 is only available in an external recorder) Also, 14 bit minimum but 16 bit is a must for big productions. If they really want to be a game changer, dump the super35 size sensor and go full 35mm sensor for the bragging rights. Super DOF FTW! (Yes there are bigger digital sensor but mostly in niche cameras.)

I would spend the $20k ($30k max with external recorder) on that camera and I've spent a lot more on a camera body many times before.

Peer

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 09:12:38 PM »
[...] it became apparent to me that we won’t be seeing any replacements to the EOS C100, EOS C300 or EOS C500 anytime soon.

And no words on a 1DC update/replacement..? 

-- peer

Policar

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:16:41 PM »

Low budget indie crowd is generally shooting Alexa.

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 10:58:50 PM »

There's low budget, and there's LOWwww budget. My low budget crowd thinks I'm big budget with a 5DIII setup   :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 10:58:50 PM »

Policar

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 11:15:18 PM »

There's low budget, and there's LOWwww budget. My low budget crowd thinks I'm big budget with a 5DIII setup   :)

What content are you producing and for what client? For low end corporate it's absolutely a viable solution, but do those clients care about 4k vs 1080p or do you and are you looking for the opportunity to sell 4k to your client so you can try it out?

The issue is the GH4 might be great in terms of IQ, but the C100 is the rock steady wedding videographer/event videographer camera with amazing ergonomics and battery life and ease of use. (And the C300 one step above for low end TV/high end corporate.)

Canon can charge more and deliver less because they're targeting "pros" who care more about return on revenue (and have a revenue stream) than hobbyists, who care about image quality but don't have the cashflow to justify the expense. The C100 is a joke spec-wise as is the 5D Mark III for stills. Both are market leaders. They're easy to use and affordable enough, but too expensive for hobbyists to buy (unless they are committed, I guess).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:20:23 PM by Policar »

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:43:29 PM »

And major big studio features and major episodic TV shows and even TV feature pieces….

I would say you see way more RED's on indie set's and Alexa's on major Hollywood features and TV show 

It may not be a 4K camera, but the Alexa is the digital workhorse of features and TV shows.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:43:29 PM »