October 24, 2014, 08:08:28 PM

Author Topic: Coming Home to Nikon “ The story behind the story”  (Read 4111 times)

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Coming Home to Nikon “ The story behind the story”
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »
Notice how the root word for "sympathetic" is "pathetic"?

You know where you can find sympathy in the dictionary?

Right between Sh&t and Syphilis.   ;D

Had an old Chief tell me that about a hundred years ago.   ;)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 03:57:33 PM »
Oh what a sad story, we should all feel so sympathetic and punish that nasty Canon for being so mean to photographers.
Notice how the root word for "sympathetic" is "pathetic"?

You may want to recheck your concept of "root word."
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Captain Explorer

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 04:05:32 PM »
If you want "stories behind the stories,” I am the guy to give you ALL the stories behind the stories you want — enough to choke on.  :—)

Canon’s “Explorers Of Light” program was created and managed by me from December 1994 through March 2003.  Anybody that has a desire to question my credentials, as an image-maker should take the time and make the effort to look at my Linked-In page —the URL is:

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=21441632&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile_pic

Here is a huge story behind the story fact — I original brought the “Explorers” concept and idea to Nikon USA where I had worked as a Nikon School Photographer in 1974.  It was, unfortunately, rejected, but I still had to take care of my family and eat.  So I took it to Canon, and the rest, as they say, is history. 

The initial concept of the “Explorers” was an educational program linked to marketing, advertising and ultimately sales — at least it was during my watch.  The program started out with 55 photographers all signed to the exact same two-year contract and the same amount of money for the use of their name — that was it, and contrary to popular “rumors” it was NOT a lot of money — under $10,001 for a 24-month contract just for the use of their name.  However, they did earn additional fees for lectures, seminars, workshops, and advertising.  I was allowed to add ten (10) more photographers to the program because it was a huge success — even more than I imagined.  The “Explorers” totaled 65, but, in a brief period of time, it became a “FAMILY” consisting of the finest image-makers ever assembled — all with the same contract and under one roof.  I handpicked all but three of the original 55, and selected all 10 of the additional photographers making the total 65.   My criteria had nothing to do with friendships but everything to do with talent, creativity, and “star power.”  I wanted to bring East Coast photographers to the West Coast and visa versa.  I produced over 800 events and shows with the “Explorers.” After my “departure” from Canon in March 2003, contracts changed, deals where not the same for all, and, in my humble opinion, the quality and exclusivity of the “Explorers Of Light” was decimated and diminished.  Some photographers were brought in because they had a “friend” who was either a tech rep or in the camera division at Canon USA.  In any event, the group grew to over 90 “Explorers.”  Canon cut the group back once they figure out the program had become watered down.  Unfortunately, and unwittingly because they began using “metrics” to determine who stays and who goes — the best of the best were eliminated along with some who never should have been anointed “Explorers,” in my opinion, of course.

Seth Resnick was, and still is, an incredible image-maker even before digital, and then he became even better.  He not only makes terrific images but also teaches including the “Explorers Of Light” under my watch.  You know how they say, birds of a feather flock together — well that’s exactly what happened with the “Explorers” during my watch.  Seth Resnick and Jeff Schewe became the ultimate “digital gurus” for the “Explorers,” and that’s a FACT.  They were both powerhouses and I don’t know if they ever slept, but they had more energy then anybody.  Unfortunately, they were both excised from the “Explorers Of Light.”  For anybody on this forum or anywhere insinuate Seth Resnick was let go because he is “…not good enough for Canon's "Explorer of Light," but Nikon is not so picky…” needs a reality check.  Nikon leans more toward photographers who exhibit creativity; style, innovation, productivity, and the ability of do it with consistent results. Canon is now all about their stable of photographer’s metrics, and the least of which has to do with creativity or style.

The following are the list of image-makers who were “Explorers Of Light” while I was in charge, but have since been let go — would you dare to say they are not good enough for Canon’s “Explorers Of Light…” or any imaging company’s stable?

Paul Aresu • Harry Benson • Barbara Bordnick • Patrick Demarchelier • Anthony Edgeworth • Arthur Elgort • Robert Farber • Dick Frank • Beth Galton • Larry Dale Gordon • Timothy Greenfield-Sanders • Dirck Halstead • Ryszard Horowitz • Carol Kaplan • Steve Krongard • Harvy Lloyd • Mary Ellen Mark • Robert McNeely • Susan Meiselas • Eric Meola • Sheila Metzner • Duane Michals • Sarah Moon • Arthur Morris • David Muench • Co Rentmeester • Seth resnick • Roger Ressmeyer • Jeff Schewe • Larry Silver • Gil Smith • Melvin Sokolsky • Albert Watson • Stephen Wilkes • Art Wolfe • James Wood.

These image-makers are some of the most highly productive and creative photographers anywhere — especially Seth Resnick.  Next time do some research before spewing out disinformation, misinformation, and pure “dribble.”

I consider myself very fortunate the original “Explorers Of Light” allowed me to be their “captain.” They trusted everything I did for them, the group and the company footing the bills.  In essence, I literally walked with the giants of the photo-imaging industry.

I must also include those “Explorers Of Light” who died, and may G-d bless them:

Arnold Newman • Henry Wolf • Brian Lanker • James “Jimmy” Moore • Monte Zucker.

We are still a “FAMILY.”

Sorry for the length of this but at least now you know…All the BEST, and keep me in your “loupes”

“Captain Explorer — Emeritus”
(a.k.a.  Michael Newler)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 12:16:09 AM »
Michael, I'm not sure how you found this post, but welcome to CR and thanks for the very informative information.  I'm sure it was an exciting project to gather these photographers together in your program and while it may not be the same anymore, the concept itself is still a success.

canon1dxman

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 02:09:01 AM »
Is (or was) there any relationship between the explorers of light and the current Canon Ambassadors (eg Jonathan and Angela Scott)?

Captain Explorer

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 02:44:45 PM »
Hi "mackguyver" — It is not important how I was able to find this particular post as much as it is for me to correct allot of misinformation.  From my perspective, this was somebody playing games by spewing disinformation and making outrageous assumptions without a clue as to the "story behind the story.”  I can tell you there wasn’t a picoliter of truth in what was written.  In addition, the person(s) writing those posts showed no respect, and, as is typically me, I stood up to correct the “dribble.”  So-called experts often possess more data than judgment.  Perhaps a more sophisticated and honest diagnosis of the “metadata” would have been more appropriate before making loose suppositions.

Captain Explorer

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 11:41:55 AM »
Hi canon1dxman — there is no “relationship” between Canon USA “Explorers Of Light” with any other similar Canon type program presented globally.  However, I can assure you that both Canon Europe and Australian programs were, in fact, replicated using my original concept, which was stated in announcing their programs.  "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 11:41:55 AM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 11:45:01 PM »
Wow, what an interesting thread.

Thanks for jumping in Captain Explorer!  Since you have had the privilege of knowing so many talented folks...

FWIW, I've enjoyed the work of Nevada Wier for years.  Do you know her or have you seen her work?  She does a lot of teaching, workshops and maybe some Canon work.  (She's shot Canon a long time.)  She travels all the time all over the world and is very interesting to listen to.

http://www.nevadawier.com/
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 01:57:09 AM »
Really good lesson here for all - keep your mouth shut if you don't know what you're talking about.  None of us is immune to jumping to conclusions - I try regularly to remind myself that pulling someone down doesn't elevate me. :(

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 03:59:01 AM »
Hi Jack.
I like that phrase, a good one to live by!
Dad had a similar saying, I don't know the origin, but very sage advice.
"Be careful who you step on on the way up, you will have to pass them on the way back down!"
Another that he used was
"If a problem has a solution there is no need to worry, if it doesn't have a solution there is no need to worry!"

Cheers Graham.

Really good lesson here for all - keep your mouth shut if you don't know what you're talking about.  None of us is immune to jumping to conclusions - I try regularly to remind myself that pulling someone down doesn't elevate me. :(

Jack
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 10:47:35 AM »
Seth Resnick was, and still is, an incredible image-maker even before digital, and then he became even better.  He not only makes terrific images but also teaches including the “Explorers Of Light” under my watch.  You know how they say, birds of a feather flock together — well that’s exactly what happened with the “Explorers” during my watch.  Seth Resnick and Jeff Schewe became the ultimate “digital gurus” for the “Explorers,” and that’s a FACT.  They were both powerhouses and I don’t know if they ever slept, but they had more energy then anybody.  Unfortunately, they were both excised from the “Explorers Of Light.”

Seth and Jeff leaving the Canon "Explorer's of Light" is Canon's loss. There's no other way to put it.

Watch the early Lightroom tutorials on LL with Seth and you get a very quick impression that he's not only a fantastic photographer but a very intelligent and charismatic person too.

wtlloyd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 11:49:44 AM »
Artie Morris is still involved with the Canon Explorers of Light program, Canon sponsored seminars given by Artie just this year.
I've met and taken classes with Seth and Jeff multiple times, they ARE charismatic (Seth), brusque (Jeff) and mildly comedic as a team when together.
Oh yeah, and they know their business backwards and forwards.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »
CR should come up with some kind of way to host photographers of this caliber from time to time.

Video, Blog, or whatever.  I think it would be cool and really set CR apart from (and above) other rumor sites.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »
CR should come up with some kind of way to host photographers of this caliber from time to time.

Video, Blog, or whatever.  I think it would be cool and really set CR apart from (and above) other rumor sites.

Absolutely agree with that idea.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Lightmaster

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 12:46:47 PM »
Hi "mackguyver" — It is not important how I was able to find this particular post as much as it is for me to correct allot of misinformation.  From my perspective, this was somebody playing games by spewing disinformation and making outrageous assumptions without a clue as to the "story behind the story.”  I can tell you there wasn’t a picoliter of truth in what was written.  In addition, the person(s) writing those posts showed no respect, and, as is typically me, I stood up to correct the “dribble.”  So-called experts often possess more data than judgment.  Perhaps a more sophisticated and honest diagnosis of the “metadata” would have been more appropriate before making loose suppositions.

and who precisley you are talking about?

what does not contain "a pictoliter of truth"?
the article from seth resnick i quoted?

i guess you adress the people here at the forum who made jokes about seth "not be good enough" etc.

sorry my english is not that good and it´s damn hot here today.... so my brain runs a bit slow today.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:54:48 PM by Lightmaster »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 12:46:47 PM »