June 24, 2018, 09:02:12 PM

Author Topic: Is Canon 5D Mark II Refurbished Still Have Its Position in 2018?  (Read 6229 times)

Michael Clark

• EOS Rebel SL2
  • Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Re: Is Canon 5D Mark II Refurbished Still Have Its Position in 2018?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 06:45:27 AM »
I've owned a 5D Mark II for almost a decade. I still use it as a third body at times. It was a great camera for its time. But its time has long passed.

For the price Canon is asking ($1,759 USD - are they kidding?), there are way too many other options that are better than a refurbished 5D Mark II. Maybe for $759 it would be a good deal.

Overall, the 6D is a better camera than the 5D Mark II. There are a few things where the 5D Mark II bests the 6D, but not many. Canon currently sells 6D refurbs for $1,199.20!

The newer 6D Mark II is overall a better camera than the 5D Mark III (which I've owned since 2014 and still use as my primary FF body - It's a great camera, but the 6D Mark II is better unless you just have to have 1/8000 second or a second memory card slot). The only things the 6DII gives up to the 5DIII is minimum shutter time (1/4000 vs 1/8000), X-sync speed (1/180 vs 1/200 -only 1/6 stop), and that extra memory card slot. Canon currently sells a refurb 6DII for $1,599.20!
It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive. - C. W. Leadbeater

5D3 7D2 5D2 EF70-200/2.8 II EF24-70/2.8 EF 135/2 EF50/1.4 EF100/2 EF24-105/4 EF17-40/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 06:45:27 AM »

Adelino

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 11:47:49 AM »
Canon Refurbished prices can always be wonky. Sometimes the exact same camera can be had with a kit lens for less than the body alone, sometimes later versions of a line can be had for less than a previous Mark. The 5 Mark 2 could be a great camera for someone and it may be available sometime at a screaming deal but not at that price you are talking about.

WesternGuy

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
For a couple of hundred dollars more (or less?), you might be able to get a brand new 5D III, if you look around.  You can probably get a refurbished one for less.  Check out Amazon. 

WesternGuy

Zeidora

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »
My old 5D2 is an experimental full spectrum camera. $2-500 would be about right, IMHO, depending on condition. The one advantage is the easily interchangeable focusing screens. So for MF shooters, that may be a plus not as easily available on the later 5D series. But even on those it can be done. Switched on my 5DsR.
5D2 full spectrum, 5DsR, a bunch of Zeiss (some other) primes, for documentary natural history, macro, and micro.

aceflibble

• EOS 80D
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 08:57:06 AM »
Here in the UK a used 5D2 in good condition sells for about £550-650, depending on if it also has all the accessories, original box, kept out of smoke, etc. A used 6D(mkI) is about £850-950, so you can pay quite a bit more for what is essentially a slightly better center focus point.

For that ~£600 price point, the 5D2 is a good camera. That puts it around the same price as a 200D/SL2, and I'm sure most people will agree that for most stills work and for any low-light, manual focus video, the 5D2 is a better buy than the 200D/SL2. At that price point, at workshops/talks I regularly recommend any beginner save for a good condition used 5D2, or make that their first upgrade if they need to start off with something even cheaper (often something like a used 60D) first. I also often recommenced it as a solid backup camera for pros, and I myself have a 5D2 which fills that role, as well as being the 'disposable' SLR for when I need to take a camera somewhere where my little Fuji's battery won't last, but I don't want to risk the value and insurance of my Phase, a 1D, or newer 5D; it's better for a £600 5D2 to be broken, lost, or stolen, than a £5000 1DX2.

Does the 5D2 still have a use in 2018? Absolutely. At the full Canon refurb price? No. Is it worthwhile as a main camera to people who can comfortably afford a 5D3, 6D2, or Sony α[whatever]? No. But for tighter budgets, for beginners, or as a backup, yes, it still works very well. Newer sensors may  be better, newer processors may be faster, newer focus systems may be more advanced, but that doesn't mean the 5D2 is any worse than it was originally. It's been a workhorse for years for good reason; the stills quality holds up, the video quality holds up as long as you don't need advanced frame rates or more than 1080p, the focus is still in the 'good enough' camp (though one more generation and the entry-level SLRs should finally overtake it), etc.

Don't pay Canon's overblown refurb price, but get a good price on one and they're still good cameras.

BillB

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 09:34:07 AM »
Here in the UK a used 5D2 in good condition sells for about £550-650, depending on if it also has all the accessories, original box, kept out of smoke, etc. A used 6D(mkI) is about £850-950, so you can pay quite a bit more for what is essentially a slightly better center focus point.

For that ~£600 price point, the 5D2 is a good camera. That puts it around the same price as a 200D/SL2, and I'm sure most people will agree that for most stills work and for any low-light, manual focus video, the 5D2 is a better buy than the 200D/SL2. At that price point, at workshops/talks I regularly recommend any beginner save for a good condition used 5D2, or make that their first upgrade if they need to start off with something even cheaper (often something like a used 60D) first. I also often recommenced it as a solid backup camera for pros, and I myself have a 5D2 which fills that role, as well as being the 'disposable' SLR for when I need to take a camera somewhere where my little Fuji's battery won't last, but I don't want to risk the value and insurance of my Phase, a 1D, or newer 5D; it's better for a £600 5D2 to be broken, lost, or stolen, than a £5000 1DX2.

Does the 5D2 still have a use in 2018? Absolutely. At the full Canon refurb price? No. Is it worthwhile as a main camera to people who can comfortably afford a 5D3, 6D2, or Sony α[whatever]? No. But for tighter budgets, for beginners, or as a backup, yes, it still works very well. Newer sensors may  be better, newer processors may be faster, newer focus systems may be more advanced, but that doesn't mean the 5D2 is any worse than it was originally. It's been a workhorse for years for good reason; the stills quality holds up, the video quality holds up as long as you don't need advanced frame rates or more than 1080p, the focus is still in the 'good enough' camp (though one more generation and the entry-level SLRs should finally overtake it), etc.

Don't pay Canon's overblown refurb price, but get a good price on one and they're still good cameras.

The refurb 5DII's don't seem to be flying off the shelves at the Canon Store.  At least, they are still available.  Unsurprisingly.

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 11:09:54 AM »
Hi folks,

Do you think refurbished Canon 5D Mark II still worth $1,759 in 2018?

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-5d-mark-ii-body-refurbished

This camera has dropped to around $1,800 while 6D launched, and refurbished unit still asking for $1,759 as per today price.

Just a bit strange for the pricing, the brand new 6D Mark II is listed as $1,899.

Seems tough to convinced consumer to purchase a refurbished unit at this price range.

Please share your comments.

Thank you.
Check B&H (and probably Adorama and Amazon) offer for 6D if it still is for 999 new.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 11:09:54 AM »