September 16, 2014, 05:54:50 AM

Author Topic: Tripod center column - yes or no  (Read 5505 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Tripod centre column - yes or no
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »
Raising the center column *up* adversely affects stability.  I think that is pretty self-evident.

But what about lowering the center column *down*?  Down as extending below and in-between the legs of the tripod?  Is that equally as unstable as raising it.  Is there any stability concerns with hanging the camera below the lowered center column?

I will often flip the center column when I am taking pictures of low flowers.  Is that a wise thing for me to do?

Wouldn't that lower the center of gravity of the entire apparatus... and much like hanging a sand bag on a hook on the column... it should have the same effect of adding stability.  I say go for it.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »
Or is the sand bag adding more normal force and consequently greater inertia... which as we know... matter at rest tends to stay at rest unless...

Crap...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

anthonyd

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 06:53:56 PM »
Raising the center column *up* adversely affects stability.  I think that is pretty self-evident.

But what about lowering the center column *down*?  Down as extending below and in-between the legs of the tripod?  Is that equally as unstable as raising it.  Is there any stability concerns with hanging the camera below the lowered center column?

I will often flip the center column when I am taking pictures of low flowers.  Is that a wise thing for me to do?

Wouldn't that lower the center of gravity of the entire apparatus... and much like hanging a sand bag on a hook on the column... it should have the same effect of adding stability.  I say go for it.

The overall stability will certainly be improved, especially with a heavy camera+lens. However the resistance to vibration will depend on how tight the tolerances are between the column and whatever it is that holds the column in place.

AcutancePhotography

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »

The overall stability will certainly be improved, especially with a heavy camera+lens. However the resistance to vibration will depend on how tight the tolerances are between the column and whatever it is that holds the column in place.

That's what I was thinkin'
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014, 02:02:36 PM »
While this shot may not look it...it was taken in really strong head wind. My pod was low and the spikes embedded in the bracken. It was stable for a long exposure in the buffeting wind:

Exif says 240 second exposure. It's pin sharp and I'm not sure an IS equipped 16-35 f4 LIS would have gotten the effect I was after ;D

Mr Bean

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2014, 08:58:25 PM »
My Gitzo tripod (can't remember the model) has a central column. I rarely use it to extend the height, because, as others have mentioned, stability issues.

However, for macro work, reversing the column and extending the legs out, works a treat. In fact 90% of my macro work is done that way, as I'm usually photographing things low to the ground. My second tripod, when I get around to buying one, will be a more solid unit without the center column, for tele lenses and landscape work.

Horses for courses really.
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 08:46:47 AM »
I like a center column and like having my center column boom out like on my vanguard travel tripod. I've used the boom function a lot.

But my heavier aluminum manfrotto tripod is what I would take to the beach or the studio for extra stability. It has a center column but it reaches neck height without using it and works great.

If your really serious about tripods, then a gitzo with no center column would be a tank for those hurricane winds.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 08:46:47 AM »

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback with this model?
"Sirui R-4203L 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod"  From what I've seen, it looks pretty darn good for the price but I'm not familiar with the brand.. at 70" it seems that may be a good height for me, I'm 5'10". 

Anyway, please give me your thoughts or comments.  Thanks!   :D
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2014, 06:21:11 PM »
"Sirui R-4203L 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod"  From what I've seen, it looks pretty darn good for the price but I'm not familiar with the brand.. at 70" it seems that may be a good height for me, I'm 5'10". 

I don't have that tripod but I do have a few Sirui products and find them to be very good. I currently use the P424 Mono pod (similar leg thickness to the 4203 tripod) and  can confirm that Sirui carbon legs are close to Gitzo in performance and I love the Sirui leg locks!
My problem is that I wonder whether you need a monster like the 4203? Yes it is a cracking tripod but what lenses are you going to use it for? If you are looking at a 600 F4 or an 800 F5.6 then the 4203 would make you very happy. However if you are thinking of shorter lenses then have a look at the Sirui R3203. This would be more than enough to do the job with quite large lenses and quite tall enough. I am 5ft 9inches tall and use tripods of 140cm tall quite happily - this one is quoted at 150 cm so it's plenty high enough.
As a footnote I would add that if I hadn't got my Gitzo tripods so cheap the Siruis are what I would have bought.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2014, 07:12:26 PM »

There is one user on CR who swears by them.  When getting a tripod, and laying out $600, make sure that you can get parts.  With camera sales tanking, I'd expect that tripod makers are hurting too, and some of them will drop out or get bought up.   

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
I wonder what is better (or preferred?) centre column yes or no? What is your opinion or experience?

I currently use a tripod with centre column. Advantage is that it is easy for me to adjust height - if needed. Sometimes I use it from a sitposition (walkstool) and pick things up to move to a different location (with different level underground) So very easy (and fast) I can adjust my camera height by adjusting the centre column. It is just one ring to turn instead of 3 (from the legs)
However sometimes I feel that, while centre column is moved up,  the whole thing is less stable. Don't know if it really is or just my feeling.
I am asking because I am looking for a new tripod and wonder if to buy with or without the centre column. I guess I could buy with and remove it or not use it.... :-\

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!

(and as a side note, don't forget about tricky weird angle macro low ground stuff where you split the tripod legs out almost flat and flip the center column over and extend out sideways)

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2014, 07:55:47 PM »
by the time you get the legs finally set perfectly the scene is gone and some slightly undamped whatever is infinitely more damped than a scene totally missed too

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »
I'd use a center column for cameras with lenses no longer than 200mm. Anything longer no center column.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »

Canon1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »
by the time you get the legs finally set perfectly the scene is gone and some slightly undamped whatever is infinitely more damped than a scene totally missed too

No center column. Instead of a tripod with a center column get a tripod without one and put a leveling base on it. Then you just get the legs close and use the base to quickly set level. Then if you move a few feet you can adjust level without changing leg extension.

Very fast, very stable.

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
Re: Tripod center column - yes or no
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 01:14:32 AM »
Thank you everyone for participating and discuss this subject.
I purchased the Gitzo GT4542LS and RRS BH-55 + B2ASII LR. The Gitzo is without the center columm but can be purchased optional if required.
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Tripod center column - yes or no
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 01:14:32 AM »