December 18, 2014, 01:22:50 PM

Author Topic: Next Canon Flashes With Exposure Based on Color Temperature?  (Read 10297 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Next Canon Flashes With Exposure Based on Color Temperature?
« on: November 20, 2011, 05:56:50 PM »
The Next Speedlite A patent has shown up explaining a technology that could appear in future Canon flashes.

The replacement of the 580EX II is said to be a quantum leap forward as far as flash technology goes. We’re all eagerly awaiting it.

Patent Information (Translated)

• Patent Publication No. 2011-232461
  • Published 2011.11.17
  • Filing date 2010.4.26

How to determine the flash exposure

• Capacitor (GN), sensitivity ISO, aperture by calculating the distance
  • If the flash can adjust the RGB primary colors, not for its calculations
  • Based on the color temperature is set to flash, strobe light to calculate the distance

Source [EG]

cr

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:00:07 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Next Canon Flashes With Exposure Based on Color Temperature?
« on: November 20, 2011, 05:56:50 PM »

tt

Re: Next Canon Flashes With Exposure Based on Color Temperature?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »
To play devil's advocate - would the 580 EX II be better improved by looking at Pocket Wizards, and building in a better  wireless system to the flash (and then having say a flash mount controller ala AC3 Zone controller)?

Doesn't a gel work better? Or knowing white/grey/black, and then adjusting afterwards. Would a flash changing temperature make post corrections harder or easier?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:31:18 PM by tt »

Gothmoth

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:33:40 PM »
it´s time for build in wireless RADIO TTL.

infrared sucks and with expensive third party stuff like the pocket wizards you can´t be sure it will be 100% compatible in the future.

build in radio TTL would bring canon ahead of nikon.
nikons flash system is today way better then canons.

by the way... maybe it´s my bad english or the lack of information but the stuff about exposure based on color temperature makes no real sense for me.

or it will be the case that changing the color temperature OF THE FLASH will also change the guide number.
so the flash would have different power output for white, red or blue light (etc).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:50:42 PM by Gothmoth »

grabbedlight

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:36:59 PM »
I just don't get why you need "strobe light to calculate the distance"...

TexPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 08:12:34 PM »
With todays flash, you get one temperature of light from the flash, and another from the ambient light.  Your foreground and background will then have different light temperatures on them making color correction difficult, even from the RAW photo.

So... a flash that could mimic the color of the ambient light, would mean foreground and background could then both be corrected with the same fix, or the camera could do it automatically.

Sounds very high-tech, and like the kind of thing I would never use.

branden

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
That's what gels are for.

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »
With todays flash, you get one temperature of light from the flash, and another from the ambient light.  Your foreground and background will then have different light temperatures on them making color correction difficult, even from the RAW photo.

So... a flash that could mimic the color of the ambient light, would mean foreground and background could then both be corrected with the same fix, or the camera could do it automatically.

Sounds very high-tech, and like the kind of thing I would never use.

This would be a wedding photographer's dream.  Not having to use gels would remove one extra piece of work.

I would like to see the flash get the exposure right when you are bouncing it off something that is not completely white - which is what happens most of the time.  My guess is that a pre-flash would be necessary to attempt to get that right.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »

Maybe I was Flash Gordon in a prior life....

But it seems to me like this should have been done long ago. I can hardly believe past technologies lodged limitations against this. We've known a lot about light for a long time now.

Maybe a reason I resist flash so vehemently is because the current flash product is so primitive.

Let's get this technology parade on the road, folks!
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »
It's just a minimal amount of detail to work with, but if it works even MOST of the time this would be brilliant. Sure, I'm happy clip gels onto my Profotos or Einsteins but in real world dynamic shooting situations when I'm working with 580's this just does not happen.

Looking forward very much to more detailed information on this development. Regardless of what the final 580 replacement is, I'll be getting two as soon as they ship.

Paul Wright

willrobb

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 12:43:32 AM »
I'm excited to see what the new speedlite will be able to offer us. The gels etc will be useful if they are built in, they'll encourage people who otherwise don't use them to try them out and better photos will (hopefully) result.

The infrared does suck a bit, the principle of the ST-E2 transmitter is great, setting flashes to different channels and being able to weight the flash outputs is really good....when it works anyway. Pocketwizards are pretty small, with all the money in canon's R&D department it would be nice to see future flashes (and therefore bodies as well) have this technology inbuilt. Even the same infrared ability if the 7D to work off camera flashes in future bodies and a separate radio transmitter would be nice.

Fingers crossed...

siebzehn

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 03:30:39 AM »
My first impression was a measurement system.  if you take two pictures/wb-measurements (with and without flash) you can calculate the impact of the flash because it has a defined color.
If your subject is fare away the impact of the flash is low and you have to increase the power.
This would allow more precise automatic flash adjustment. e.g. the overexposure on macro can be avoided or not to fire on landscape.

Ray Padden

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 05:18:47 AM »
My guess is that it may have a c.t.o. and c.t.b. setting.  From my days working as a lampie (lighting tech)on stage I can see how this would benefit.  Having the option to change the out put from day light to tungsten would help blend the flash and available light.  Thats just my guess

Blaze

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »
Gothmoth, it's not your English. The post is pretty much grammatically nonsensical. It seems to be poorly translated.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »

outsider

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 08:28:07 AM »
So how would this adjustment of color temperature be done?

I can only think of putting 3 flash bulbs in the head, each gelled with one primary color (RGB) and adjust the output of each flash bulb accordingly to give the desired color temperature.

Or could it be LED based instead of flash bulb? (doubtful as I don't think LED's have the light power that a flash bulb does)

Isaac

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 08:45:10 AM »
About how much will the new flagship speedlite cost? I hope it's not going to be like a $300-$500 jump more than the 580EXII.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:47:22 AM by Isaac »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 08:45:10 AM »