October 22, 2014, 12:07:26 PM

Author Topic: Survey: Preferences on LCD displays on back of DSLR bodies  (Read 1839 times)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I started a survey on a 7D2 rumor thread, but thought I'd increase my hits by having a standalone posting.

Head here for my simple and fast survey re: displays on the back of DSLR bodies.  I'm trying to segment everyone's take on touch vs. no touch, rigid vs. tilty-swively, etc.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TK65Z2Y
(I did this offsite to get more than one question asked with a multiple checkbox response, that's all)

Everyone can participate once, and then repeating the link should show the results.  It's interesting so far, but I'd like more responses if you have 90-120 seconds to give.  It's fast.

Thanks,
A

canon rumors FORUM

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: Survey: Preferences on LCD displays on back of DSLR bodies
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
I started a survey on a 7D2 rumor thread, but thought I'd increase my hits by having a standalone posting.

Head here for my simple and fast survey re: displays on the back of DSLR bodies.  I'm trying to segment everyone's take on touch vs. no touch, rigid vs. tilty-swively, etc.

(I did this offsite to get more than one question asked with a multiple checkbox response, that's all)

Everyone can participate once, and then repeating the link should show the results.  It's interesting so far, but I'd like more responses if you have 90-120 seconds to give.  It's fast.

Thanks,
A
We need to start calling you survey man!  I'm all for a tough version of the articulated LCD - I had one on the 60D and loved it for macro and overhead shots.  I hate touchscreens of all varieties, phones included (not that we have a choice), but will concede that the one on the EOS M works well and is faster than the Q button for those random settings.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:28:45 PM »
We need to start calling you survey man!  I'm all for a tough version of the articulated LCD - I had one on the 60D and loved it for macro and overhead shots.  I hate touchscreens of all varieties, phones included (not that we have a choice), but will concede that the one on the EOS M works well and is faster than the Q button for those random settings.

I'm just trying to segment the market using the CR Forum dwellers (who are the only people who buy cameras of course).

See this posting from that 7D2 thread:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=21693.msg415241#msg415241

It's possible we have enough of a split on opinion that Canon should consider something like a relatively thin (1 cm?) removable module for the LCD, so people could slap in one of 3-4 different LCD types based on their preference.  Think of it like a MF digital back with just an LCD.  Then people could have whatever they want.  We can tweak our focus screens in some cases, so why not get the LCD we want?

I think of body selection as a sensor size first, IQ/AF/DR vs. price second, features are third sort of approach (and everyone's order is different!), etc. but possibly folks desperately need the LCD to be a specific variety or they just won't buy that body. 

So I'm wondering if the market is sufficiently spread out enough to warrant (a) two standalone SKUs -- identical cameras with different LCDs or (b) a modular snap-it-together setup that users can tailor to their needs.

The respondents so far -- even from this forum, a Gear Acquisition Syndrome opium den of mad enthusisasts and pros -- shows a fairly even split in LCD preference.  It's far less polarized of a preference than I would have guessed.  But let's see, I'd like to get a good 50-100 responses.

- A

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 12:40:37 PM »
Thanks for the additional detail and with the 1D series, I doubt there's enough volume to produce two different models - hence the 1Ds & 1D line combination.  With the 5DIII or especially 6D, it's possible.  I'm not sure I'd want a removable LCD as that would drive up price and reduce durability even though it is a cool idea.  I dropped my 60D from about 4 feet onto asphalt and the screen survived unscathed, but I still think I'd want one considerably tougher on a 1D, 5D or 7D body.  My back & neck would love an articulated LCD for macro work...but I guess the CamRanger is an alternative.

tculotta

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 12:53:01 PM »
On 2 & 3, there is no option for the fact that my camera simply doesn't have those features. There are things I WOULD like, but I'm not about to buy a new body just for them and the survey doesn't ask me what I want, it asks what I don't want. I respect the intent of the survey, but I think there is value in knowing what people want in a future body (but don't have in their current body/bodies.)

Thanks for putting it together nonetheless.

dak723

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 01:03:16 PM »
While I voted for an articulating, touch screen display (why not have the most features and flexibility?) the actual Canon camera that I bought last year was the 6D - which has neither.  In other words, the features of the rear display are low priority and played no part in my camera choice.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »
I think that what is needed is a touch screen on the back of all new cameras.

Obviously, one should not get rid of the knobs and dials of cameras, but this gives you an additional way to operate the camera (for those so inclined). One should be able to run an App on a phone that gives you the same functionality as the built-in touchscreen, or on a tablet where the increased real estate would give you even more convenience. Yes, tilt/swivel is nice, but removable/remoteable goes so much further....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 01:32:59 PM »
My old G1X had the swing out type display, similar to the 70D.  Mt new G1X MK II has a swing up touch screen that is larger, and much easier to use.  Plus, it can be made much larger, since it does not need all the supporting structure.  It appears to be much more difficult to damage, I worked in electromechanical design for 35 years, and can pretty well tell as far as reliability of a structural design.

It also looks very water resistant, the flat cable enters the body thru a rubber seal that will resist water entry, and might even be sealed, but I can't tell from the outside.

So far, its a improvement, but long term usage will tell better.

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 02:06:26 PM »
If Canon is listening.......................  Touch screen is nice, but there has to be a way to turn it off and on without turning off the camera.  I am getting to like the touch screen on the M, but if you leave the camera on and the camera bounces around, all your settings have changed.  Articulating:  I had one on my G1 (that's the original G1 from circa 2001).  Worked fine (even though it is tiny).  Probably still works fine.  I haven't used that camera in a while.  As someone else noted, articulating or not is way down on the priority list in selecting a camera.  And if I could only figure out Wifi on the 6D, I could use my phone or my wife's tablet as an articulating screen...........
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
On 2 & 3, there is no option for the fact that my camera simply doesn't have those features. There are things I WOULD like, but I'm not about to buy a new body just for them and the survey doesn't ask me what I want, it asks what I don't want. I respect the intent of the survey, but I think there is value in knowing what people want in a future body (but don't have in their current body/bodies.)

Thanks for putting it together nonetheless.

I am familiar with market research in my industry (not cameras), and yes, we'd have 6-8 questions to even 'rangefind' what type of user you are, what you currently use, what you lack today, etc.

So I admit that this is as crude a survey as you get.

- A

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
My old G1X had the swing out type display, similar to the 70D.  Mt new G1X MK II has a swing up touch screen that is larger, and much easier to use.  Plus, it can be made much larger, since it does not need all the supporting structure.  It appears to be much more difficult to damage, I worked in electromechanical design for 35 years, and can pretty well tell as far as reliability of a structural design.

It also looks very water resistant, the flat cable enters the body thru a rubber seal that will resist water entry, and might even be sealed, but I can't tell from the outside.

So far, its a improvement, but long term usage will tell better.

Anything is possible if you put the time and thought and cost into it.  The new Pentax MF rig with the 51 MP sensor is weather sealed and it has a tilty screen.  I don't think it swivels, though...

- A

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 03:07:57 PM »
If Canon is listening.......................  Touch screen is nice, but there has to be a way to turn it off and on without turning off the camera. 

Agree.  I am stunned Canon hasn't gone touchscreen on most models (maybe not the T3 or T5) and simply put a 'touchscreen defeat' option in the menu to satisfy both camps.  One would think that if we can have a lock screen on a phone, a touch screen could be shut off on a camera.

That might limit the ability of the engineers to optimally make a smudge resistant screen for those who don't want a touchscreen, but that's not my area of expertise -- I defer to the materials guys and consumer electronics designers in this forum (if we have any).

- A

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:13:21 PM »
In my opinion, Canon should include touch capability on all future camera LCDs -- with a menu option to disable touch functionality. Then everyone can use it or not use it as they prefer.

I love the articulating screen. Had one on an A80, G12 and now 70D, and I can't imagine life without it. In fact, if/when I move to full frame, that will be what I miss most (unless -- crossing fingers -- Canon introduces a full frame body with articulating touch screen). If I was a pro that was hard on my gear, I might choose a fixed display for durability.

The articulating screens on all three of my cameras work like the day they were new, despite some pretty hard use (elk hunting in icy temps, snowboarding in even icier temps -- even dropped in the snow a few times, desert sand dunes with fine sand getting in every crevice, etc.). It would not surprise me if they were durable enough for hard pro use. If not, I don't think it would take much for Canon to "ruggedize" them.

Anyway, I'd want a durable articulating touch screen on any future body I own...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:13:21 PM »

StudentOfLight

• Canon 70D
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »
One of the features that I like on the 60D is that I can reverse the articulating screen. I hate getting nose-prints on the screen and with the short eye relief on the consumer and semi-pro bodies, nose-to-screen contact is almost guaranteed.
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L-II,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  35-85mm f/1.8, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 03:32:52 PM »

Reminder for those who just jump to the end of a thread and add their thoughts, there is an ongoing survey at survey monkey to mine this out very crudely.  More responses are welcomed:

Thanks!

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 03:32:52 PM »