December 19, 2014, 07:21:56 PM

Author Topic: Lightroom vs. Capture One  (Read 6304 times)

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Lightroom vs. Capture One
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »
Here I found an interesting article, where the author praise Capture One over Lightroom as a RAW converter. He wrote that the colours appear more natural and representative of the original scene. And that the images are sharper at the beginning, straight out of camera (without any adjustments).

See the article here: https://fstoppers.com/originals/lightroom-or-capture-one-which-raw-processor-best-24769

Has any of you similar experience?

canon rumors FORUM

Lightroom vs. Capture One
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:11:03 PM »

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
Re: Lightroom vs. Capture One
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »
Interesting review, and thanks for sharing!  I would like to know more about this, too...  Capture One appears to be somewhat oriented toward fashion and product photographers, so I would be particularly interested in nature photographers' comparisons with Lightroom.

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
I prefer the Capture 1 output over Lightroom for flower pictures.

I'm certainly no pro with post processing stuff, but the C1 looks nicer right out of the box. This doesn't mean that you can't get there with Lightroom.

Edited to add: From a hobbyist point of view, DPP sure seems to do a damn fine job at processing Canon images. If the image is good/close out of the camera, just a couple of quick clicks does the trick. As much as I may hate to admit it, the "auto" and "auto +" do a damn fine job of recovering underexposed images. I haven't tried 4.0 yet.

DPP is free- added bonus.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:53:47 PM by danski0224 »
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:02:01 PM »
Here I found an interesting article, where the author praise Capture One over Lightroom as a RAW converter. He wrote that the colours appear more natural and representative of the original scene. And that the images are sharper at the beginning, straight out of camera (without any adjustments).

See the article here: https://fstoppers.com/originals/lightroom-or-capture-one-which-raw-processor-best-24769

I've tried Capture one, DXO, DPP, and even ACDC Pro.  Each renders a image slightly differently, and its a matter of personal preference.

I did not like Capture One at all.  DXO had poor face tones.  DPP and Lightroom, while different were acceptable.  I've forgot how ACDSEE Looked, I have not used it for over a year.

It really is personal preference, so give them a comparison and see which you like best.  It is often true that they will do a better job on certain subjects as well, one might excel at landscapes, while another might be better at portraits, so pick the one that works for you.  I wanted to like the new DXO, but so far, its been a disappointment, and my trial is almost over.  Be sure to test export times, and the look of exported jpegs, as well as prints.  All those things are variables.

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:38:26 PM »
I use light room for most of my work. 99% of the time it's fine. BUT every time I want to get the best out of an image I go straight to capture 1. I like the images it produces and have been using it for about 2 years now.

DPR also produces better images than lightroom IMHO and of course it's free  ;)

BUT lightroom is a great database for photos,  with an in built raw converter. I find I'm using plugins more and more with lightroom, but for those few special images, for me, it's capture 1 followed by photoshop every time.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

hsbn

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »

I always find straight out of the camera comparison kind of bias. Each software has its own default settings, some may apply more sharpening than other. Also Lightroom can use custom-profile to get accurate color.
I want to see comparison where expert in Lightroom and experts in other software working on the same photo from start to finish. Then comparing the final products to see which one is better.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »

I always find straight out of the camera comparison kind of bias. Each software has its own default settings, some may apply more sharpening than other. Also Lightroom can use custom-profile to get accurate color.
I want to see comparison where expert in Lightroom and experts in other software working on the same photo from start to finish. Then comparing the final products to see which one is better.

While its true that you can tinker with images in the software to get what you like, its also a good point that some software renders a nicer image with default settings.

Of course, with a different camera model, the results might vary, so its again something that should be tried before buying.  Phase One is said to do a super job with the high MP Nikon D8XX series.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • D.Judd Photographics
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 02:09:33 AM »
Until this year I've been using Lightroom extensively. I've now completely switched over to Capture One pro 7.

Why? Personally I find the results are just better and that bit counts. Some tools Capture One has like the colour correction tool (huge one), tethering tools and even the clarity/details sliders are a light year ahead of Adobe in my opinion. That said, I completely agree Capture One is built for commercial photographers. But that said, any photographer of any genre can obviously use it. It's a very very different program, Adobe Lightroom I'd suggest is much more user friendly to the casual's out there, costs less money too!

Without going into any real depths, those interested would pick up there's a free 30 day trial. Either program can create stunning results, it's a personal and potentially logistical choice for some. That's my view.

In the end, only the image matters... Not what equipment you used to get there.

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »
If someone is interested in Capture One, below is a video about the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KqYfjVt50&feature=em-uploademail

canonvoir

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »
With the Aperture BS Apple has pulled I decided to try out a few alternates. I purchased a year license to the photography package from Adobe (LR and PS) because it is the closest to Aperture in terms of using my NIK plugins, etc. So far, the Auto Enhance in Aperture is great, but in LR not so much. All that aside, I am sure I will get better with the adjustment.

Capture One seemed nice but it definitely has a studio feel. Not my thing.

I am struggling with DxO Options Pro Elite (crazy they charge based on camera body) and I like the RAW conversion and the Essential Tools section. If you shoot raw, this is a real winner. What frustrates about DxO is the lack of watermarking (which I hear is coming soon), brush/localized corrections and lack of plugins. I don't need another step in my workflow but if you want to get the best out of a RAW, DxO is hard to beat (especially if you don't want to use PS).

I will still utilize Aperture the remainder of this year for paid projects as I decide on which path I am going to take.

1DX | 5Diii
300mm ii IS 2.8 | 70-200mm ii IS 2.8 | 24-70mm 2.8 | 16-35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.2 | 50mm 1.2, etc.

LDS

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »
He wrote that the colours appear more natural and representative of the original scene. And that the images are sharper at the beginning, straight out of camera (without any adjustments).
That depends on the kind of pre-processing the software applies to RAW images when you open them. A RAW image *can't* be displayed without some kind of pre-processing - what in LR is in the "Process Version". In LR you can use both camera profiles and import presets to tailor the initial image to your tastes. For example you can match one of the camera RAW processes selecting it from Camera Calibration -> Profile.

LR default profiles are pretty conservative, AFAIK, and don't try to render a "good" image from start, because it can't know what is good for you, your specific camera, and for a given image.

I wouldn't judge a RAW editing tool from its initial display of a RAW images, especially if this can be calibrated as you like. Other are the factors about choosing one software or another.

MichaelHodges

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »
When I upgraded to LR5, I had issues with the "out of camera" look. This was especially true for 6D files.

I kid you not when massive amounts of color information was missing. The images looked pale. They were sharp, but something was wrong. I was getting better results in DPP and other RAW programs.

To fix this, I needed to choose "Camera Standard" in the develop module, not Adobe Standard (which my copies of LR always defaulted to). It never used to be this way for me, but it is now.

I'll post a couple examples later. Perhaps this is why C-1 may look better to some people now.

I'm a huge LR fan, so encountering this was frustrating.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 11:45:30 AM »
When I upgraded to LR5, I had issues with the "out of camera" look. This was especially true for 6D files.

I kid you not when massive amounts of color information was missing. The images looked pale. They were sharp, but something was wrong. I was getting better results in DPP and other RAW programs.

To fix this, I needed to choose "Camera Standard" in the develop module, not Adobe Standard (which my copies of LR always defaulted to). It never used to be this way for me, but it is now.

I'll post a couple examples later. Perhaps this is why C-1 may look better to some people now.

You can default Lightroom to any look you like, and can make it specific to camera model, serial number, or camera / lens combination.  It will apply the processing as it opens the images depending on your settings. 

The biggest issue with Lightroom is that users often just try to learn as they go, and miss some of the features.  Its really worth the trouble to purchase a book and work entirely through it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 11:45:30 AM »

LDS

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »
The biggest issue with Lightroom is that users often just try to learn as they go, and miss some of the features.  Its really worth the trouble to purchase a book and work entirely through it.

+1

In his book "The Digital Negative - RAW image processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw and Photoshop", Jeff Schewe writes:

"If you fell in love with the way your image looked when you chimped the LCD on the back of the camera, this first look in Lightroom or Camera Raw might be disappointing. Neither Lightroom nor Camera Raw uses the camera-maker’s software development kit (SDK) for rendering the digital negative, so expecting the preview to look like the camera LCD is unreasonable. When he was designing the rendering engine, Thomas Knoll made a conscious decision not to try to match the camera companies’ “looks” but, instead, to present you with a reasonable and normalized preview of your image." 

In LR 5 camera profiles allows to match the camera "look".

IMHO among the best books about LR is Martin Evening's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book - The complete Guide for Photographers", it's not a light read, but it is comprehensive and really explains how LR works (and why).

MichaelHodges

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 04:00:38 PM »

You can default Lightroom to any look you like, and can make it specific to camera model, serial number, or camera / lens combination.  It will apply the processing as it opens the images depending on your settings. 

Right. I've been using it since Version 1. But this was the first time the Adobe Standard just really messed up the image. Before it was variations on a theme. This just ruined the color information.

An interesting bug that popped up in LR5.

I love Lightroom and use it for everything. I find the IQ to be outstanding and well suited to nature photography. I prefer "the look" to DPP, which IMHO smooths out to many details.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:04:14 PM by MichaelHodges »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 04:00:38 PM »