November 23, 2017, 08:30:55 AM

Author Topic: What do you Cheap Out on?  (Read 12813 times)

dstppy

• EOS 5DS R
Re: What do you Cheap Out On?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »

Hrm; I think I've been scared into buying high-end with everything.  I do swear by an arca-swiss plate to allow a handstrap instead of getting a grip for my camera . . . I think that's more of a weight thing.

I think you are on to something there.  I might cheap out on the intervalometer, the lighting kit or some other peripheral but not anything that puts the camera/lens at risk.

You see it on SlickDeals all the time, someone gets a $600 smartphone, then wants to save $10 on sync/charge cables.

Everytime an iPhone/Android goes up in flames, they blame the manufacturer.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »

mrsfotografie

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • M.R.S. Fotografie www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
I usually buy new because I want to be sure my gear is in good condition,  though I'm very price conscious. I will buy second hand but only if gear is not available new.

I cheap out on primes, going for old discontinued stuff or third party new. The only one exception being my 100L macro.

I've bought third party batteries for my previous Canon bodies and for my Sony NEX but for the 5D MkII and MkIII I only use OEM batteries.

I,ve never skimped on battery grips ; every Canon SLR I,ve owned got the OEM model.

Edit: I have a METZ flash :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:29:35 PM by mrsfotografie »
5D3, 5D2, G5X, G16 | SY14/2.8, V20/3.5, 28/2.8 IS, Ʃ35/1.4, 50/1.8, 50/1.8 STM, Ʃ50/1.4 EX, 100/2.8L IS Macro, 16-35/4L IS, 24-105/4L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 2.0x III, 70-300L IS, Ʃ150-600 OS HSM S

jhpeterson

• EOS M5
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »
Can't say I cheap out on many things photography-wise. I've done so in the past, and they almost always had a way of disappointing me.
I use 1D-series bodies and L glass for almost everything. Of course, not every piece of gear is the latest generation, as I expect that paying for quality it should last a long time.
One of my most-used lenses is 20 years old. I'm known to keep things until they're pretty well worn out. Maybe most people call that being cheap; I just look on it as getting good value.
1D series bodies (x4), L glass (x9)

CANONisOK

• EOS M5
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 01:07:58 PM »
* Yongnuo YN-E3-RT: $100 cheaper than the Canon original, has AF assist lamp Canon doesn't, but functions identically. No problems using extensively since launch.
* Some 3rd-party batteries: For long days & trips where I don't have charger access I've got a handful of legit LP-E6 batteries and several more Wasabi Power clones for backup. I never put the batteries inside the 5D3, but use them in the grip in case of the overheating/swelling issue should arise. Of course, if I was smarter I'd be using a clone grip instead of the BG-E11 for those situations.  :P
A few bodies, some flashes, a tripod here and there, a handful of lenses. Plenty of equipment, a lot of perseverance, but not enough talent (yet).

Besisika

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 01:13:29 PM »
Somebody make some popcorn...batteries. I have 4 genuine Canon LP-E6s and 4 or 5 generics. With the exception of one clone prematurely wearing out, I am unable to see a difference in performance that would in any way justify the price difference.
I cheap out on almost everything except the body and my main two lenses.
I even try to cheap out on my 1DX battery. I bought two, all died within 2 days, then I bought other two and one died after few days, one is still alive until now but I don't trust it so I ended up buying a second legit.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »
I'm not posting much as my air conditioning has been out for 5 days and it was 100F here in Florida today.  Only 92F in the house at least >:(

brutal and with humidity too no doubt, yikes

yeah keep that computer off! they are so powerful these days, they are like space heaters

On to the thread: All of us cheap out on some of our gear - whether it's memory cards, camera bodies, or other stuff. 

What do you cheap out on?

Use to on tripod, finally got that part settled.

I actually think that is about it.

Which is why I cheap out on everything else.  ;D

I suppose you could say remote release, since it was like $10, BUT it's worked great for years and seems solid, so I don't think it's cheap.

My impression is that the #1 think people cheap out on is displays, you the thing to actually look at the pictures you took with that 20k of equipment, but can you recommend a nice screen for under $150 please. And if you dare mention wide gamut or 4k or calibration/profiling or internal LUTs, on some forums, people bite your head off, who needs that garbage, it's all marketing BS!!!! Wow, seriously?

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »
Our house is about 2500sq ft. Last May, we replaced our 20yrs old noisy AC unit with Trane XV20i. We removed all old ducting and replaced with new ones, much more efficient. From 80F down to 74F in less than 10mins. I highly recommend Trane XV20i if you looking for new AC unit.

I had a Trane Furnace, it died well before the warranty expired and they told me that they no longer made that model and had no parts for it, so the warranty did not apply.  After some very heated comments to the Trane customer service, they finally coughed up a new furnace.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
The closest I can come to 'cheaping out' is that I bought an EOS M + 22/2 at the start of the fire sale, and subsequently bought a white box EF-M 18-55. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Chisox2335

• EOS M5
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 08:11:56 PM »

2. Intervalometer - I had the Canon release (only) and it sucks, so I bought the Vello intervalometer and it works perfectly for $30

Dear Mackguyver, I've been thinking about getting an intervalometer and I also don't want to spend a lot on it. Would you mind posting the model number?

Thanks!

Vivid
Sure, it's the Vello Shutterboss Version II Timer Remote Switch for Canon with 3-Pin Connection.  I paid $37.50 for it - just a bit better than the $169 Canon price :)  Make sure you get version II.

Have the same one. Like it a lot.

Chisox2335

• EOS M5
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 08:19:56 PM »
I bought my first vello grip for my 60d. I loved it, I have them for my 70d and 6d as well. Very pleased with all of them. I also have an oben monopod and tripod head. The b&h brands have served me well so far.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
Black Foamie Thing, best single flash modifier I use.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/the-black-foamie-thing/

And many of you know of my liking for the Rosco Swatchbooks that I get for $2.50 every time I place a B&H order. You are very welcome sagittariansrock :-)

My other cheapy for the longest time was Yongnuo RF-602 radio triggers, 100% reliable and excellent range, I still have them but don't use them now I have the 600-EX-RT's. I have had little luck with my Yongnuo YN-E3-RT though, not that I got it for price as I already had the Canon ST-E3-RT, I got it for the added functionality on pre 2012 bodies but rarely use it.

I am not so much a "cheap" person, as a buy it once and save in the long term, but I do like my 50 f1.4 when I could easily have the 1.2L (but that is another thread :-) )

Oh, I did buy the Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3 for $135, but that was long before the Chinese clones came out.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Vivid Color

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »

2. Intervalometer - I had the Canon release (only) and it sucks, so I bought the Vello intervalometer and it works perfectly for $30

Dear Mackguyver, I've been thinking about getting an intervalometer and I also don't want to spend a lot on it. Would you mind posting the model number?

Thanks!

Vivid

Sure, it's the Vello Shutterboss Version II Timer Remote Switch for Canon with 3-Pin Connection.  I paid $37.50 for it - just a bit better than the $169 Canon price :)  Make sure you get version II.

Thank you, Mackguyver!

If your body is compatible, Magic Lantern includes an excellent intervalometer and is cheaper than any external option  ;)

Thank you, lintoni! I'll have to check that out.

Vivid Color

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »
I bought the Fotodiox collar for my 70-300 L lens. It is solidly made and was much less expensive than the Canon version.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »

tolusina

• Gallery Administrator
  • EOS 5DS R
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 11:04:40 PM »
Spent about $1,400 on Gitzo, Acratech and RSS, maybe as much as $6 making a carrying strap.

Spent about $300 on an ASUS tablet for tethering instead of $800 to $2,000 for a Microsoft Surface.

Built a monster PC, ASUS board, 32gb ram, 2 256gb SSDs, 1tb HDD, i7 Haswell @ 3.4 GHz, gorgeous Lian-Li aluminum case, er, no video card, using on board DisplayPort.

6D, 40, 50 1.8 II, 50 1.8 STM, 24-105L, 90EX, 2X 600EX-RT, 2X Lightsphere, ST-E3-RT, Kenko DG set, GT2531LVL, Ultimate GP, PRO-100, SPYDERPrint, MG3122, PA242W-BK-SV, Intuos Pro, WIN 10 on hardware with intent, AE-1, D-70, D-80, P30T

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 11:08:32 PM »
Breakfast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 11:08:32 PM »