November 23, 2014, 03:27:43 PM

Poll

When you've shot for a short time (~5min) in medium rain with the 6d...

nothing happened, the sealing seems to have worked
23 (34.8%)
buttons malfunctioned, but it worked again after drying
4 (6.1%)
the camera broke and needed to be serviced
2 (3%)
(see results) I only use my 6d in good conditions
17 (25.8%)
(see results) I don't have a 6d or never experienced bad weather with it
20 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: August 14, 2014, 02:37:19 PM

Author Topic: POLL: 6d weather sealing experiences & warning  (Read 7127 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
POLL: 6d weather sealing experiences & warning
« on: July 31, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »
The day before yesterday I was surprised by a thunderstorm and shot with my 6d (and a sealed 70-300L lens) for about 5 minutes in the rain. I did my best to still protect the camera and wrapped some cloth around it, but some rain hit it. Afterwards I dried it with a towel as good as you can in a thunderstorm and stored in a waterproof bag.

Problem 1: The back buttons (Q/INFO) and the joystick buttons started malfunctioning after a very short time after the rain began. I have not experienced this behavior with my 60d.

Problem 2: Yesterday the camera broke down completely after some minutes of reviewing pictures - it's now at Canon service and I hope the warranty covers it. I had put it in a dry place over the previous night, but didn't use the "rice bag" method.

Question: What are your experiences with the 6d and wet conditions? Was I just very unlucky? I know the 6d sealing level is well below the 5d3 (which itself is way below a 1d), but after this experience I'll have to tread my 6d as I would a Rebel :-\

canon rumors FORUM

POLL: 6d weather sealing experiences & warning
« on: July 31, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: 6d weather sealing experiences & warning
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:59:39 PM »
No one really knows what the term "weather sealing" means.  There is not an objective way of measuring to a standard called "weather sealing".  There are no industrial standards for something having "weather sealing"

The problem is what is the definition of "weather" and what is the definition of "sealing"

Note that they don't say it is "weather sealed"  There is a difference between sealing and sealed.

If a camera manufacturer puts in one foam gasket on one part, they can advertise it as having "weather sealing".   Sealing really means what ever they choose to make it mean.

How can one measure "weather sealing" and how can one test it?

Cameras are sealed against all sorts of weather until the point they are not.  ;D

There are camera models that are better at resisting weather than other cameras, but that's about as far as one can really go. Even a 1D will fail under the right or wrong weather conditions.

I treat all my cameras/lenses as being not weather sealed. I try to protect both the camera and lens so I don't have to find out the hard way what the marketing department meant by "weather sealing".
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »

As discussed over and over, you can't w/o a lot of money and creation of a new industry standard. That's why the only way to tell cameras apart is by collecting user experiences, hence this poll.

Afaik there is one thing that's different between camera models though: Some buttons are "sealed" with just some cheap foam, and some have rubber rings (or the like). Hard to tell since Canon doesn't give us any specs other than fancy "sealing" diagrams-

I treat all my cameras/lenses as being not weather sealed. I try to protect both the camera and lens so I don't have to find out the hard way what the marketing department meant by "weather sealing".

I also try to do that, but shooting outdoors I find this nearly impossible - sand and humidity always linger around the next corner. That's why I cannot tread my dslr as "unsealed" as my cheap mobile phone which breaks even if you put it into a damp pocket :-o

wsheldon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:38:22 PM »
I haven't soaked my 6D yet (knock on wood), but I was told that 2 6D's and a 50D failed in wet/humid conditions during an insect macro-photography workshop in Belize last year, but 7D's and even some Rebels kept clicking. I bought emergency rain covers for my 6D (the cheap OP/TECH rainsleeve variety) and stashed them in all my bags as cheap insurance. Those have worked well the few times I've been stuck out, and I have gear insurance if those aren't enough.

Good luck getting your gear repaired. Tough break.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »
I try to keep it protected but I have to admit I probably push my luck more than I should.  Fortunately, I don't get caught in rain very often.  I also have the OP/TECH covers.

I have considered the Pentax K-3 someday for more reliable weather sealed protection.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:55:43 PM »
Hi folks.
There is a water and object ingress standard at least in Europe, IP XX, where the first number stands for objects and the second for water, I  think it was something like IP 00 means you can get an industry standard finger in there, and water that runs in runs out and IP 67 means that dust has to be below so many microns and you can pressure wash the item and water won't get in.. This is just from memory so feel free to correct me!
Anyway back to the point if it doesn't say IP XX on the label it isn't weather or water resistant!

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

NancyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
I use mine in good weather or light misting. There is chronic high humidity in St. Louis in the summer. If there is significant rain, out comes the plastic bag and my wide-brimmed rain hat. No problems. Same for 60D. I have the Optech also for longer lens, but for short lens, common kitchen plastic food bag is fine. Sorry for your bad experience.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 05:44:14 PM »
Hi folks.
There is a water and object ingress standard at least in Europe, IP XX, where the first number stands for objects and the second for water, I  think it was something like IP 00 means you can get an industry standard finger in there, and water that runs in runs out and IP 67 means that dust has to be below so many microns and you can pressure wash the item and water won't get in.. This is just from memory so feel free to correct me!
Anyway back to the point if it doesn't say IP XX on the label it isn't weather or water resistant!

Cheers Graham.

Agree. That is the standard most commonly used in America as well as internationally. Most of my flashlights are IPX7 ;D  Camera manufacturers simply choose to not use them.

IPX Standard Code Meanings

IPX-0     No special protection
 IPX-1     Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10 minutes.
 IPX-2     Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees – Same as IPX-1 but unit is tested in 4      fixed positions – tilted 15 degrees in each direction from normal operating position.
 IPX-3     Protected against spraying water – Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min.
 IPX-4     Protected against splashing water – Same as IPX-3 but water is sprayed at all angles.
 IPX-5     Protected against water jets – Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at a pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.
 IPX-6     Protected against heavy seas – Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a 100kN/m2pressure for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.
 IPX-7     Protected against water immersion – Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.
 IPX-8     Protected against water submersion – Equipment suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions as specified by manufacturer.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »
I haven't soaked my 6D yet (knock on wood), but I was told that 2 6D's and a 50D failed in wet/humid conditions during an insect macro-photography workshop in Belize last year, but 7D's and even some Rebels kept clicking.

Interesting, after my recent experience I believe it - and it's in line with my general assumption that Canon cut corners on the 6d wherever they could, except for the sensor that is. I hope more experiences turn up so we might know if the 6d is really more endangered than for example the 60d or even the 5d2.

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 09:41:21 PM »
I've shot in the rain with my 5d2 with a 50mm 1.2 and 580exii mounted no issues. But that was pretty sealed up since all of those items have weather sealing. Guess that's one of the pros to the old 5d2, slightly more robust.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 12:26:24 AM »

As discussed over and over, you can't w/o a lot of money and creation of a new industry standard. That's why the only way to tell cameras apart is by collecting user experiences, hence this poll.

Afaik there is one thing that's different between camera models though: Some buttons are "sealed" with just some cheap foam, and some have rubber rings (or the like). Hard to tell since Canon doesn't give us any specs other than fancy "sealing" diagrams-

I also try to do that, but shooting outdoors I find this nearly impossible - sand and humidity always linger around the next corner. That's why I cannot tread my dslr as "unsealed" as my cheap mobile phone which breaks even if you put it into a damp pocket :-o

I have a friend who shoots Pentax, I forget which body, but it's not the newest.  He takes it out in steady rain for hours without covering it.  Once he got a little water in the top display and was concerned.  He let it dry overnight and had no problems since.  If Pentax can do that in a prosumer crop body, then Canon ought to be able to without a lot of R&D money.  Please canon, charge me the additional $50 for comparable weather sealing!

bardamu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 01:02:30 AM »
wonder how it compares with the D610.

HankMD

• Canon AE-1
  • SLR newbie since July, 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 01:11:08 AM »
My 6D is stored in a dry box at home when not used as the local humidity makes summer like sauna. It goes back in after a drizzle or two, with or without a rainsleeve. An umbrella comes out when it gets to "medium rain" or downright pours.

Probably because I make $0 out of my gear  :)
6D | 7D | 10-22 | 40 | 18-135 IS | 70-200 IS II | Tamron 150-600

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 01:11:08 AM »

MichaelHodges

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 01:15:37 AM »
I shoot with my 6D in snow and -20 temps, and never had a problem. I am extremely obsessive about using it when it rains, though. I use plastic sleeves and have a wad of paper towels in my pocket. 

e17paul

• EOS M2
  • Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 01:45:34 AM »
If any piece of electronics gets wet, don't seal it in a bag because that will keep the moisture in and worsen the problem. It's much better to find some shelter and let the camera dry out in circulating air. The only exception is if you have some desiccant with you (eg uncooked rice) and put it in the bag with that.

My 6D with non weather sealed lens dried out fine on a car seat after a few minutes thorough soaking in the rain.
6D, 5(film)x2, 650(film)x2, Canonet QL19, EF 15/2.8, 24/2.8 IS, 50/2.5 & 70-300/4-5.6L
Fotodiox Pro OM/Eos adapter, Olympus OM-10, Zuiko 24/2.8, 50/1.4 & 135/2.8, Ensinor 28/2.8, XA/2, Mju 410
Apple iPhone 6 & iPad 2. I've only listed the equipment I still use for photography!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 01:45:34 AM »