November 28, 2014, 06:34:21 PM

Author Topic: Need a Good Card Reader  (Read 6736 times)

BumpyMunky

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • I wonder what this button does...
    • View Profile
Re: Need a Good Card Reader
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »
An argument against using a card reader is that the pins in the camera connecting to the CF card have a finite life.  If they get bent, the camera's useless and you have an expensive repair job on your hands.  If you use the USB connection and it goes wrong, you can still use a card reader.

I've never had this problem with a body, but with cheap card readers all the time.  My first CF reader was an old Sandisk ImageMate. Worked very well for years until the USB interface went wonky, but the physical CF interface was solid.  A number of cheap readers don't have a deep enough (or tight enough) cavity, and if the card slops around on the way in, bent pins almost every time.  A couple of the pins are longer (ground pins I guess) and those typically are the ones that bend.  Not too much of a deal to straighten with a jewellers screwdriver, but a pain if it happens a lot.

My latest CF readers are the Lexar USB 3.0 dual readers.  Like the Sandisk (and any CF body I've used, for that matter), a deep and solid cavity, and the card slides in positively every time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »
I use a $12 one I got at Target.  It reads different cards, and works pretty good and is small.  Not the fastest though.  I used to have a ExpressPort one that went in the MacBook Pro 17", but it broke.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

EELinneman

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »
I'll second others recommendation of the Lexar USB 3.0 card reader.  Rock solid, closed small and the usb cord can be removed for easy packing and travel if you take it with you.  I've had zero problems with mine and it replaced the previous USB 2.0 model which sprouted legs and walked away about the same time my son left for school.....

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

KyleSTL

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 04:14:13 PM »
I have a cheap Vantec internal 53-in-1 reader that has sustained good speeds with my cheap cards (4GB Kingston CF, entry level).  I typically see 17-25 MB/sec.  I had an internal before this, though, that would not exceed 2 MB/s with any type of media (I forget the brand, but it was purchase back in 2007).  My brother had the same problems with a Silverstone internal model that would not go above 1.5 MB/s.  Seems it's pretty hit-and-miss with card readers.  And before anyone says anything, yes, it was operating at USB 2.0 speeds.

I've never had a problem with card readers dropping or causing resets or needing to be unplugged like others have mentioned.  I have needed to bend pins back, though.  A reader and a Digital Rebel were saved with a jewelers screwdriver as BumpyMunky mentioned.  I don't think bent pins in CF slots are as common and concerning as some would lead you to believe.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 06:14:13 PM »
I have a good internal card reader, that I ordered as part of my PC (2 years ago). It operates at very much the same speed as an external USB2.0 card reader I have.

Many many years ago (back in the 'bad old days') I had a few experiences with pins being bent in the connections between graphics card & monitor cord (where these were not inserted carefully enough). And a short time later I had to tell a person their card reader (USB1.1) was broken because they had bent the pins in that.

Since then I've been 'wary' of bending any pins, so I usually connect my DSLRs to my computer using the USB cable.  (Hence I'm probably a bit more 'wary' than I need to be, but I prefer using a few % of battery power than 'risk' bending pins by removing / changing cards all the time).

The speed from connecting my 7D directly to my PC USB2.0 is about the same speed as the internal card read and external card reader. (My 350D is somewhat slower).  The speed connecting my 7D to my computer is very appoximately a bit quicker than 1GB per minute.  As I don't take many videos, and shoot mainly JPEG, it works well for me about 90% of the time.

However, what is annoying (I'm not sure if this is an anomaly) - but using 'My computer', raw files on my 7D (and maybe my 350D also) are only viewed as a 'double JPEG' eg IMG_1234(1).jpg and when copied, is not the raw. So when I shoot raw files (eg tricky lighting, or to really get maximum sharpness & dynamic range) - then I take my Sandisk Extreme Card out of my camera and put into my internal card reader.

In summary, for me, the 'cable' is the most useful solution. I usually copy the files (nearly always just JPEGS) and while I'm waiting for it to do that, I am doing something else on my PC (eg sorting other photos, updating facebook, etc). I have set my camera to auto power down after 1 minute, so it shuts down a short time after the copy transfer is complete.

Hope my post is useful for some people.

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 05:44:15 PM »
Yes this is two years old.... But here's a comment.   The USB cable  has pins too and the on-camera assembly is not as mechanically robust IMHO compared to the CF card socket  which has a very nice guided insertion.      I suspect the latter will sustain a greater number of insertions before failure.   That said I pulled 70k ish frames out of my 40d using only the cable without any issues. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 05:44:15 PM »

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
Yes this is two years old.... But here's a comment.   The USB cable  has pins too and the on-camera assembly is not as mechanically robust IMHO compared to the CF card socket  which has a very nice guided insertion.      I suspect the latter will sustain a greater number of insertions before failure.   That said I pulled 70k ish frames out of my 40d using only the cable without any issues.

I started this thread and was surprised to see a reply 2 years later.  :o   I have come to the same conclusion for the same reason.  I decided to stick with USB cable transfer and minimize CF card removal/inserts.

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 08:29:53 PM »
However, what is annoying (I'm not sure if this is an anomaly) - but using 'My computer', raw files on my 7D (and maybe my 350D also) are only viewed as a 'double JPEG' eg IMG_1234(1).jpg and when copied, is not the raw. So when I shoot raw files (eg tricky lighting, or to really get maximum sharpness & dynamic range) - then I take my Sandisk Extreme Card out of my camera and put into my internal card reader.
If the camera believes your computer doesn't have the necessary raw codec installed, it tries to help you out by converting cr2's to jpegs in-camera before copying.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

Alan

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »
I use a Kingston FCR-HS3 USB-3 on a windows 7 machine with no problems.

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 6D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
This is a good thread to keep alive!

I was very happy for over a year using an internal card reader that hooked up to a SATA card in my computer.  That was fast!

Unfortunately, when I rebuilt my computer with a new motherboard (something I do about every two years) there was a compatibility issue I could not solve, possibly due to my switch to Windows 7.

I ordered a cheap USB 3 external reader that was very slow and sometimes locked up my computer.  I got a replacement that was almost as bad.

I am now using a Kingston USB 3 external reader that works fine and is reasonably fast.  I conclude that there is a reason to avoid the very cheap USB 3 readers.

I would have tried another internal card reader, but my current computer case doesn't have any floppy drive bays and you can't get any good card readers in a 5.25 inch bay these days.

I've never had a problem with the CF pins on any of my bodies, but did have some pins get bent in cheap card readers.

I never felt the need to hook up the cable from the camera to the computer.  Perhaps being an old competitive pistol shooter, the idea of slapping in a fresh magazine while I reload the old one is in the back of my mind.  :)
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

K13X5C

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »
For what it's worth I've had the Lexar Pro USB 3.0 card reader for two years now and it still works perfectly. It's very sturdy, surviving several drops onto pavement. And I've never had a hint of a problem with the CF pins in the camera body. Using it with a USB 2.0 connection in an older computer it was much faster than downloading with the camera via USB cable. Now that I have a computer with USB 3.0 the Lexar reader is even faster yet again. 8GB CFs download right now. The Lexar Pro USB 3.0 reader is a stellar piece of equipment.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »

Viper28

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 03:46:09 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-Dual-Slot-Reader-LRW300URBNA/dp/B0050C9ZMC/

+1 thats what I use and its been faultless

Never bent a pin on any of my camera bodies, but then I take time and care changing them
Cheer Simon

SithTracy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 06:22:30 AM »
I got the Hoodman RAW Steel via Amazon a month ago and am pretty pleased with it.  A little pricey, but I had the Lexar reader and it failed me.  Just decided to quit working one day (PC & Mac).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 06:22:30 AM »