September 15, 2014, 11:00:52 PM

Author Topic: popup-flash - made a "pro feature"?  (Read 4835 times)

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
Re: popup-flash - made a "pro feature"?
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
On this topic (an a little off it as well), please recommend a little external flash that I can use for fill-flash on a 5D series body when traveling. I currently have a Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 that's great but way too big for that purpose.

The 270EX II is relatively small, sits low on top of the camera, and has some bounce capability as well. Uses 2AA batteries. Obviously, it suffers from the same issues as a pop-up flash - not very powerful and close enough to the lens that redeye can be a problem. But if you don't want to pack a 600EX-RT, it's small enough to carry easily when you might just need a little light.

Cool, I was looking at the Metz 24 AF-1, but it doesn't have high speed sync which is a deal breaker for me. How about the 270EX II, does it have HSS?

If you have a camera that has external flash control (e.g., 1Dx, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II), you can set HSS on the 270EXII through the camera menu. Of course, depending on how high you set the shutter speed, you will cut down on the range significantly.

Thanks for your help. As you can see in my signature, my Canon bodies do have that ability so the 270EXII has now made it to my shopping list  ;)
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, S90 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »

eli72

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2014, 11:01:59 PM »
On this topic (an a little off it as well), please recommend a little external flash that I can use for fill-flash on a 5D series body when traveling. I currently have a Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 that's great but way too big for that purpose.

The 270EX II is relatively small, sits low on top of the camera, and has some bounce capability as well. Uses 2AA batteries. Obviously, it suffers from the same issues as a pop-up flash - not very powerful and close enough to the lens that redeye can be a problem. But if you don't want to pack a 600EX-RT, it's small enough to carry easily when you might just need a little light.

Cool, I was looking at the Metz 24 AF-1, but it doesn't have high speed sync which is a deal breaker for me. How about the 270EX II, does it have HSS?

If you have a camera that has external flash control (e.g., 1Dx, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II), you can set HSS on the 270EXII through the camera menu. Of course, depending on how high you set the shutter speed, you will cut down on the range significantly.

Thanks for your help. As you can see in my signature, my Canon bodies do have that ability so the 270EXII has now made it to my shopping list  ;)

Stofen also makes a flash diffuser for the 270EXII in case you want to use it with the bounce feature. http://www.adorama.com/SFOMEV.html

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2014, 06:09:45 AM »

Stofen also makes a flash diffuser for the 270EXII in case you want to use it with the bounce feature. http://www.adorama.com/SFOMEV.html

Thank you, yes I will probably want that (I have Stofen diffuser for my Metz, too).
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, S90 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

benperrin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Perrin Photography
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2014, 09:35:03 AM »
Another user here that is firmly in the camp of don't put a pop-up flash on my camera. Even for fill there are better alternatives.

There is no alternative if you don't have one with you.
Why the heck does the darn little flash hurt you guys so much? It won't break if you don;t use it. The fact you are worried about breaking almost hints that they you think you might find a use for it at times. And how does it break more easily than an external flash? If it breaks and you didn't want it anyway, who cares?
And NO it doesn't make you look like a cool, real pro to have no pop-up.

I don't know why you're having a go at me over expressing my opinion. I really don't care about a popup flash breaking as I'd never ever use it. It's something I don't ever want to have popup in the middle of a shoot or to ever worry about and as far as I'm concerned that space could be used for something more beneficial that I would actually need. I understand it's use on entry level bodies but once I discovered off camera lighting (including reflectors) or even bounce flash I really couldn't see a reason why something so harsh and direct  should ever be included in a pro body.

P.S. This is just my opinion and I have no problems with people finding a valid use for the popup flash. If you think it is absolutely critical to your work then I'll respect your point of view on the matter.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2014, 09:51:44 AM »

P.S. This is just my opinion and I have no problems with people finding a valid use for the popup flash. If you think it is absolutely critical to your work then I'll respect your point of view on the matter.

Fortunately it is the same opinion as many others - including Canon  ;)

I'm putting money on the 7DII not having one.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2014, 09:54:07 AM »

I sort of disagree.  If it's a 7D Mark II priced south of $2K, I think it'll have a popup flash.  If it's a 7D X priced north of $2K, I can see them omitting the PUF.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

benperrin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Perrin Photography
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »

That's one thing I'm not so sure on. It could go either way. It'll sure be interesting though to see what specs are actually correct and let's face it, it's a lot of fun to guess :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »

Given that it is likely to be an aps-c camera, the smallish prism leaves room for a flash to fill up the room given by the professional bulge on top of the camera. So I think it will have the popup again.

Old Sarge

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »
I expect the 7D MK II, if it is announced, will have a pop up flash (also expect it in $2300.00 neighborhood) and I like them though it won't be a deal breaker for me.  I appreciate the suggestion of the 270 as a substitute and will probably buy one if necessary 
The Old Sarge

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »