December 18, 2017, 04:04:23 PM

Author Topic: D810 users are seeing spots  (Read 24795 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: D810 users are seeing spots
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 04:33:43 PM »
Does anyone here remember how long it took Canon to address issues with the 5D Mark II? It definitely wasn't this quick!

Does anybody remember Canon getting banned from importing or selling a model because of an unacknowledged fault? Nikon were banned from selling the D600 in China.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 04:33:43 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
Does anyone here remember how long it took Canon to address issues with the 5D Mark II? It definitely wasn't this quick!

What problems were those?  I can't find any Canon Service Notices (firmware updates notwithstanding) for the 5DII...

EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Joe M

• EOS M5
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 07:15:54 PM »

What problems were those?  I can't find any Canon Service Notices (firmware updates notwithstanding) for the 5DII...
That's all I remember, a firmware update (quite quick) for some minor "black pixel" issue where under some circumstances a black pixel or halo could be seen around extreme highlights.  Maybe that's the "issue" he's referring to.  Again, didn't it get a firmware fix in under a month or something of the sort? 

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 02:51:49 AM »

Does anyone remember issues with the 5DII ? Talk about clutching at straws.

Viggo

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 04:04:35 AM »
If you're going down that route dilbert, at least use the 1d3 as an example ::)
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

sarangiman

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 05:35:10 AM »
They don't learn quickly: back in the day, when I shot Nikon, a solution to the D200's horrible banding problem had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, out of the buggers - and it never did really fix it (for me anyway) on either of my D200s.

That camera is why I'm a Canon shooter now.

Having issues with banding, and then being satisfied by switching to Canon... now there's something I'm going to have to scratch my head over for a bit.  :o

charlesa

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 06:03:36 AM »
Hot spots are quite normal during long exposures, how bad is this?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 06:03:36 AM »

MLfan3

• EOS Rebel T7i
Re: Nikon D810 Product Advisory
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 08:22:17 AM »
FYI on Nikon's latest postmarket findings:
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/08/19/nikon-europe-issues-product-advisory-d810/

I'm on the fence with this one.  Dust with the D600 100% should have been caught in evaluation period before launch.  But finding an issue that only shows up in crop mode + long exposures might be more of the weird lightning bolt of an issue you don't find until you release it to the masses.

- A

it is not only in crop mode, if you have this camera you know it but it is quite serious issue.
I had it for a couple of weeks, and it is really a big issue.
it sometimes even shows up normal exposure mode such as ISO 6400 1/15th, f4.
it is now a big issue here in Japan and many people here returned it 3 or 4 times to get an acceptable copy.
and this is not first time, but 4 times in a row we found this kind of unacceptable QC issues in recent Nikon FF cameras.
the d600 with dust and shutter issues, the D800 with left AF and sudden freeze up issue, the D4 with battery issue, this one with terrible thermal noise and color issue.  I think this is not acceptable at all.
I know all manufactures have some sort of issues but not this bad, and most of what this D810 has over the D800E actually done with FW updates, which Nikon seldom does.
I think most of people even extreme die hard Nikon fans lost respect and faith in them.
as a result , Nikon stock hits really hard and keeps dropping every day.
And for high resolution required work, we do not need or want the mirrorslap anyway, and thus the A7R would be much better choice for most of us.

Nikon is seriously doomed.

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 09:24:37 AM »
Quote from: MLfan3 link=topic=22278.msg426773#msg426773 date=

Wouldn't be good for any of us if they were.

I can't help wondering if Sony might buy Nikon from Mitsubishi.

Maximilian

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • The dark side - I've been there
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »
[...] long exposures and crop mode should be covered in even the most basic field trial testing protocols, what the hell are these guys doing?
nowadays problem is, that even system and field tests are "optimized". that means cost optimized.
You reduce the test protocols to the min and let the bananas mellow and get yellow in the customers hand.
 >:(
Pitty, but OTOH todays systems are sometimes so complex, that you cannot cover even 20% of test and use cases.
 :-\
But I agree with you: these here should have been tested and detected. Maybe the returns from field test came in too late for the scheduled release...
 ::)
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 12:49:31 PM »

I received on of the first 5D MK II's about November 27, and a week or so later, on December 8, reports of a issue from black spots appearing on bright highlights when people shot Christmas lights.  NR normally made them go away, so many did not see them.  I had to review my shots to find one that had them.

On December 15, about two weeks after the first Camera deliveries, Canon announced that they were looking at the issue.  Canon modified the firmware to eliminate them.  On January 9, three weeks later, Canon issues a firmware update to fix them.

So, it took ~ a whole month from initial reports to verify the issue, develop a firmware update, test it and release it.

How many D810 users will have their camera fixed in a month?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:53:00 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

tron

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 12:53:24 PM »
The 5DII problem has been solved via a firmware update (If I recall correctly 1.07). I remember this issue because solving it was a prerequisite for me to get a 5DII...

Now, to defend Nikon, if I had a D810 and I was doing a long exposure I wouldn't even think of using it at crop mode.

If problems can be solved in firmware and companies are willing to do so all is well.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »

So, it took ~ a whole month from initial reports to verify the issue, develop a firmware update, test it and release it.

How many D810 users will have their camera fixed in a month?

Indeed.  Plus, Canon's fix was a downloadable firmware update.  Reports to date indicate the D810 fix is also a firmware update, but users must bring/send the camera to a service center for the update to be applied.  I suppose that's better than a 'fix' of having to wait for then buy the D820, but still...   ::)

Keep grasping those straws, dilbert.  I hear they come in handy if you want to suck.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »

sarangiman

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »
most of what this D810 has over the D800E actually done with FW updates, which Nikon seldom does.

Like the redesigned mirror & shutter mechanism, the complete lack of OLPF, faster processor, and true ISO 64 along with the shot noise and DR benefits it can bring?

And for high resolution required work, we do not need or want the mirrorslap anyway, and thus the A7R would be much better choice for most of us.

That's ironic, b/c the A7R's shutter shock is literally unavoidable (at longer focal lengths), while the D810 at least offers an option for an electronic 1st curtain that - when combined with mirror up+delay - can completely get rid of camera-induced shake. So, despite Nikon's poor implementation of electronic 1st curtain (only available in Mirror Up mode), at least it offers a way to completely eliminate shutter shock. The only way to mitigate it on the A7R is to add a ton of mass to your camera (which kind of defeats the whole point of the little FF wonder), and even then you may or may not completely eliminate it.

Harv

• EOS 80D
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »
Keep grasping those straws, dilbert.  I hear they come in handy if you want to suck.  ;)

Neuro, you crack me up.   ;D
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

http://www.harveyg.smugmug.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »