August 22, 2014, 09:53:08 PM

Author Topic: 5dMKII vs. 60D  (Read 6834 times)

dtaylor

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: 5dMKII vs. 60D
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 08:39:41 AM »
But where the 60D has those bonuses it also lacks a fair bit. Those being low light and other details that you can only really get from a FF sensor.

There isn't a detail difference between the two sensors in good light when using their full 18/21 MP resolution for 24" prints. What difference will be observed when their resolution is processed down for video and displayed at a maximum of 2 MP (1080)?

Low light I'll give you. The 5D2 is amazing in low light. But the 60D is pretty good itself.

On the other hand the 5D is a fantastic camera but not really a camera for a beginner. The learning curve is steep and you may be better off sticking with the 60D is you are not 100% dedicated to what you are wanting to do.

In what way does the 5D2 have a steeper learning curve?

As for lenses, The 60D with the Tokina and a 50mm f1.8 (around 80mm on FF) will cover most shots you will need for basic video, maybe even chuck in a cheap 55-250 lens in there too for those shots you need the reach.

Sigma 30 f/1.4 or 50 f/1.4 would be much better choices. The 50 f/1.8 is optically good, but has poor bokeh and is a pain to manually focus, which is even more critical for video.

I'm not sure shallow DoF is a good argument for the 5D2 for video either. Wide open primes on FF are difficult to use in any close situation for still photography. Manually focusing for video? Forget it. You will be stopping down any way.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »
But where the 60D has those bonuses it also lacks a fair bit. Those being low light and other details that you can only really get from a FF sensor.

There isn't a detail difference between the two sensors in good light when using their full 18/21 MP resolution for 24" prints. What difference will be observed when their resolution is processed down for video and displayed at a maximum of 2 MP (1080)?

Low light I'll give you. The 5D2 is amazing in low light. But the 60D is pretty good itself.

On the other hand the 5D is a fantastic camera but not really a camera for a beginner. The learning curve is steep and you may be better off sticking with the 60D is you are not 100% dedicated to what you are wanting to do.

In what way does the 5D2 have a steeper learning curve?

As for lenses, The 60D with the Tokina and a 50mm f1.8 (around 80mm on FF) will cover most shots you will need for basic video, maybe even chuck in a cheap 55-250 lens in there too for those shots you need the reach.

Sigma 30 f/1.4 or 50 f/1.4 would be much better choices. The 50 f/1.8 is optically good, but has poor bokeh and is a pain to manually focus, which is even more critical for video.

I'm not sure shallow DoF is a good argument for the 5D2 for video either. Wide open primes on FF are difficult to use in any close situation for still photography. Manually focusing for video? Forget it. You will be stopping down any way.

I shoot my f/1.4 primes on full frame wide open almost all day at weddings with moving subjects. I would hardly say "forget it". It just takes some practice and perhaps a precision focusing screen.

stevevihon

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 11:24:40 PM »
I think you need to consider what type of photographer you are. 
-- Are you more comfortable having the versatility of a zoom lens versus using your feet to move closer or further away from the shot you want?
-- Do you need the versatility a zoom lens offers?  Are you deliberate in your shooting?  Or, do you need the flexibility a zoom will offer with different views of the same scene?
-- How important is bokeh in your photos and do you shoot in low light?  If these are important, consider a prime.

I do not have experience with either camera.  I most recently owned a Nikon D300.  My first lens for it was a 35 f2, which I sold to buy a 17-55 f2.8.  The zoom lens was much heavier and more cumbersome.  I was able to fiddle with the lens length for a particular scene, but I spent more time snapping shots versus thinking through what I wanted to shoot. 

It might be worth thinking about what you will be shooting and how you are comfortable shooting and then let that lead you to your answer.

briansquibb

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 05:16:37 AM »
Prime lens all have that manual zoom, 1 step forward and one step back - makes a BIG difference with a 50mm