September 22, 2014, 02:38:51 AM

Author Topic: Canon brand UV and Circ. Polarizing filters  (Read 2873 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon brand UV and Circ. Polarizing filters
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
I'd go with an XS-Pro CPL.  I have Slim Käsemann CPLs in 77mm and 82mm, the XS-Pro is actually 1mm thinner.  I bought my CPLs before the XS-Pro versions came out, those are what I'd buy today (but it's not worth it for me to sell the Slims and buy the XS-Pro).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 08:17:37 PM »
So, Click and neuroanatomist, why do you recommend B+W over the Canon brand filters?

Mt Spokane Photography, why did you switch to non Canon brand?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against buying B+W or other brands, I'm just curious why the seeming recommendation to avoid Canon filters except when unavoidable.  Price?  Quality?  If you could elaborate I'd very much appreciate it.  Thanks.

I switched to B+W and Helicon based on the many reports from filter users, and saw no bad effects from the Canon filter, it went with the lens when I sold the lens while moving to FF.  I also noticed a benefit from leaving filters off the lens when using it in studio, the images seemed clearer with more contrast, but that could be just me reacting to suggestions from others.

One item that has not been mentioned, is the nasty tendency of the cheap filters made with aluminum rings to gall on aluminum filter threads and become stuck on your lens.  Filters using brass rings like the high end models are not going to have galled threads and be semi-permanently stuck to your lens.  Brass filter rings do sometimes require use of a filter wrench, but do not require extreme force to remove.  The aluminum galling is mostly a issue with aluminum threads on lenses.  Canon is switching to plastic on some newer models, I don't know how this will affect filters getting stuck, but its likely a improvement in that regard.  For example, the 16-35mm f/4L has plastic filter threads.

Mitch.Conner

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 10:19:13 PM »
I'd go with an XS-Pro CPL.  I have Slim Käsemann CPLs in 77mm and 82mm, the XS-Pro is actually 1mm thinner.  I bought my CPLs before the XS-Pro versions came out, those are what I'd buy today (but it's not worth it for me to sell the Slims and buy the XS-Pro).

Maybe I should just make it simple and get XS-Pro for all 3 filters then.  With the 24-105 going down to wide'ish angles and already starting with f/4 perhaps it would benefit from a thinner clear filter too.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 07:07:51 AM »

Maybe I should just make it simple and get XS-Pro for all 3 filters then.  With the 24-105 going down to wide'ish angles and already starting with f/4 perhaps it would benefit from a thinner clear filter too.

No need for the 24-105, but maybe if you need that 77mm filter on another lens later...

On the 24-105 you can stack an F-Pro on an XS-Pro with no issue, two F-Pros stacked gives ~1/8-stop extra vignetting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/5938142014/in/set-72157624587295692

Mitch.Conner

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 09:47:56 AM »

No need for the 24-105, but maybe if you need that 77mm filter on another lens later...

On the 24-105 you can stack an F-Pro on an XS-Pro with no issue, two F-Pros stacked gives ~1/8-stop extra vignetting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/5938142014/in/set-72157624587295692

For the polarizer, how do you like your XS-Pro Kesemann style CPL w/MRC?  I assume yours has the MRC.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 10:01:55 AM »
The Käsemann CPLs have the MRC coating plus better construction so they don't delaminate.  Great filters !

Mitch.Conner

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »
The Käsemann CPLs have the MRC coating plus better construction so they don't delaminate.  Great filters !

Sounds like the way to go for a polarizer.  I'll have to try harder to spell it correctly when I place an order.   :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 10:57:42 AM »
What is the difference between the various types of filters offered by B+W?  The XS-Pro vs the F-Pro.. etc.  I don't see on the Schneider Optics page a comparison of the details of each.  I found a thread online that claimed the F-Pro was made of brass whereas the XS-Pro wasn't, but according to Amazon et. al. the XS-Pro is indeed made of brass.

I ask because between this thread, and this thread, I've gotten recommendations to go down the B+W route for filters.  I'm just confused though between their F-Pro, and XS-Pro filters, and any other types.  Did I miss on the Schneider Optics site where they explain the differences?

I've learned through these two threads that I should pass on UV filters and just get coated clear filters for protection.  I'll also be getting a polarizer that I can use hopefully on both the 24-105 and the 70-200 given that they both take 77mm.  I'm unsure though if that will work since the 24-105 goes down below 35mm and I've heard that below 35mm FL, you need a thin polarizer (or alternatively you shouldn't use one at all).

Any help will be appreciated.  I'm going to post this on the other thread too since I've inadvertently scattered my questions across 2 threads.

Get these:
B+W 77mm XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007 Filter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/756818-REG/B_W_66_1066111_77mm_XS_Pro_NANO_Clear.html

B+W 77mm Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752975-REG/B_W_1066400_77mm_XS_Pro_Digital_MC.html

XS-Pro = Slim filter with added threads for lens cap/addt'l filters, less light falloff with some lenses than a thick filter
Clear = Neutral, exactly what you want from a protective filter (unlike UV, which can affect color balance adversely)
MRC = Multicoated, better scratch protection and flare resistance than cheaper single coated filters
Nano = Coating that makes filter much easier to clean (almost like Rain-X, water/debris comes right off instead of requiring polishing)
The B+W filters also are made of brass, which binds less than cheaper aluminum filters.

Yes, the initial investment is significantly higher than a cheap filter.  But these filters will last longer, be easier to work with, and have less adverse impact on image quality compared to cheaper filters. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:08:07 AM by Ruined »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
Clear = Neutral, exactly what you want from a protective filter (unlike UV, which can affect color balance adversely)

Can I ask… Do you have empirical evidence for that adverse effect, or are you basing the suggestion on the <5% loss of transmission in a ~25nm region of the spectrum where the sensor is at <20% of its maximum sensitivity?

xps

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 11:38:19 AM »
I am using the

B+W AUC Polfilter Käsemann - zirkular - XS-PRO DIGITAL MRC nano 77mm  & 58mm
B+W F-Pro AUC Zirkularpolfilter Käsemann 105 mm x 1 mm - MRC vergütet

and the
Heliopan HT-Polfilter # 8098 - 77 MM  & 105 MM   High Transm. Circ. Polfilter SLIM SH-PMC

From Hoya the Hoya Polarisationsfilter Cirk. Pro1 Digital 58mm

The 105mm´s are for the LEE Filterkit. (Bought the Heliopan and got the B+W 1055m cheap from an friend)

Optically I can not see any differences between the B+W and Heliopan in IQ. They are both great filters!
The Heliopan high transmission has an advantage: It does not swallow as much light as the others. It is a little bit brighter than the B+W. So it is an advantage, if you shoot in darker situations.

The Hoya is quite darker. But the IQ is really good.

If you own an good lens, I would buy an high quality filter. Don´t own an expensive Cam & lens and reduce the IQ by using an cheap glass in front of your high-end optical system.

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »

Can I ask… Do you have empirical evidence for that adverse effect, or are you basing the suggestion on the <5% loss of transmission in a ~25nm region of the spectrum where the sensor is at <20% of its maximum sensitivity?

Basing it on the tech specs and the fact that the manufacturer sells and markets a clear filter that is more neutral than the UV.  Also, if the new patented Canon multilayer sensor ever is released (which has a UV layer), would you want to risk having to replace all of your filters for a potential quality gain (since the sensor may not perform as optimally with UV filtered before hitting the sensor) when you could have just bought clear to begin with?  Given the relative small cost difference between UV and Clear, I see no reason just to buy Clear in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:13:53 PM by Ruined »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »
I can't find a lot of information online about these so far.  I'm looking to get 2 77mm UV filters to protect my lenses and one circular polarizer.

The Canon brand filters are more expensive than the other filters I see in my catalogs.

Are they worth it?

No.

I had to buy a Canon CPL once and it was the biggest POS I ever got, it delaminated in a matter of weeks and scratched very easily. Do not buy them.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »

The nano coatings that are on some of B+W's filters can't be praised enough in my opinion. They do an outstanding job of repelling dust.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »
I can't find a lot of information online about these so far.  I'm looking to get 2 77mm UV filters to protect my lenses and one circular polarizer.

The Canon brand filters are more expensive than the other filters I see in my catalogs.

Are they worth it?

No.

I had to buy a Canon CPL once and it was the biggest POS I ever got, it delaminated in a matter of weeks and scratched very easily. Do not buy them.
Pretty sad that Canon makes such garbage considering what great optics they make.  Maybe they should come out with an "L" line of filters ;)
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »

Are they worth it?

No.

Pretty sad that Canon makes such garbage considering what great optics they make.  Maybe they should come out with an "L" line of filters ;)

I don't think Canon do make them, they might be made for them, but not by them.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »