December 18, 2014, 07:30:26 AM

Author Topic: Is RAW worth it?  (Read 12638 times)

LovePhotography

• Rebel SL1
  • Texas Not Taxes.
    • View Profile
Is RAW worth it?
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:41:44 PM »
I haven't shot in RAW very much, and just started with DxO9 a couple months ago. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I'm not seeing any appreciable improvement in final IQ when I shoot in RAW and run through the PRIME de-noise and other manipulations, then when I simply shoot large jpeg and run through DxO9. I'm shooting with a 6D and good lenes. I was expecting some marvelous increase in resolution since the file size goes from 7MB to 22MB. Do you guys see a big improvement?? Is RAW worth it?

canon rumors FORUM

Is RAW worth it?
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:41:44 PM »

candc

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Is RAW worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
Raw is better if you want to make adjustments to white balance or boost the shadows/cut the highlights. That sort of thing because you are not making corrctions to an image that has already had adjustments and compression applied. The camera itself makes a raw to jpeg conversion which is the same as DPP. Shooting raw does not automatically give better results but gives you more flexibility and if a better raw converter comes along then you can still work with your old files but if you have jpegs then everything is "baked in".

LovePhotography

• Rebel SL1
  • Texas Not Taxes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »
Thx!   :)

candc

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:40:15 PM »
I use dxo myself and like it because its fast and the lens modules are great for making automatic corrections to lenses that need it, especially distortion and chromatic aberrations.

TexPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:46:13 PM »
Well, there are better t-shirts for RAW shooters.

You will get better results with RAW, but the difference is very small especially if your manipulations of the photo are going to be minimal and your lighting was good, and lighting color was good etc. 10+ years ago cameras made horrible jpegs and there was more of a difference.

I shoot RAW+Jpeg 100% of the time, and for casual shooting, 90% of the time I use the jpeg.  For Serious work I use the RAW. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:01:12 PM by TexPhoto »

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »
I haven't shot in RAW very much, and just started with DxO9 a couple months ago. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I'm not seeing any appreciable improvement in final IQ when I shoot in RAW and run through the PRIME de-noise and other manipulations, then when I simply shoot large jpeg and run through DxO9. I'm shooting with a 6D and good lenes. I was expecting some marvelous increase in resolution since the file size goes from 7MB to 22MB. Do you guys see a big improvement?? Is RAW worth it?

RAW is all about the flexibility to do more with the image, as there is more data kept to manipulate.  While JPG looks great, in certain situations it can fall apart with significant manipulation.

If you were shooting something like a Rebel, I would probably advise to stick with JPG if you are happy with it as the Rebel cameras can't do RAW+JPG without running out of buffer quite quickly.  But the 6D can do RAW+JPG for quite some time before running out of buffer, so I would advise trying RAW+JPG for a while.  Eventually, you might switch over to RAW exclusively.

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:29:51 PM »

If you really want to get a feel for why we like RAW shooting, go to a typical high school or college stage play and shoot some pictures.  If you shoot in JPEG, you'll sit there and swear because metering for half the scene results in blown out highlights in the other half, and if you meter for the bright half, you get noisy mud on the other half.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:29:51 PM »

candc

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 10:51:14 PM »
Oh c,mon  admins, you have to admit that was a pretty awesome T-shirt?

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 11:15:37 PM »
So there's a RAW tea shirt and we don't get to see it??

I shoot RAW and really appreciate the degree of exposure adjustment that is available after the fact!
Also sharpening via specific lens tuning in DPP is a definite benefit.

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 11:18:57 PM »
If you ever accidentally set your white balance incorrectly, as I did shooting photos of President Obama's second inauguration, you won't be asking that question, you'll just shoot in RAW or RAW+JPEG.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 11:57:06 PM »
If you ever accidentally set your white balance incorrectly, as I did shooting photos of President Obama's second inauguration, you won't be asking that question, you'll just shoot in RAW or RAW+JPEG.
OP, shoot JPEG by all means, for the most part you'll get a solid result.

If like VividColor you do projects for clients where the consequences of a screw-up could be career-ending, you shoot RAW. Hell, why wouldn't you shoot RAW? I thought this argument was long over. The reasons are written up ad-nauseum. I thank the Gods of Photography daily for the astounding flexibility and depth of RAW files.

The only JPEG's I ever shoot are on my phone. BTW, your phone and every single digital camera shoots RAW and does a no-consultation conversion for you. Why not do it yourself?

-pw

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »
Yes,

Storage is cheap, computers are powerful, and you can't always go back and reshoot.  If after a shoot, you cull your shots down to what you like.  Decide if you want to batch them all to jpg and call it done.  You can convert to jpg at any time, but can never go back to RAW.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

KeithBreazeal

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 12:40:33 AM »
All you have to do is cry over a once in a life time photo shot in jpeg you can't salvage and get $$$$ for.
When you expect to shoot your "normal" stuff all day in jpeg, that's when the photon god sends you a split second of glorious light spread across 15 f-stops.  :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 12:40:33 AM »

KeithBreazeal

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 12:56:23 AM »
Here is an example of shooting in raw.  The photo was part of a bracketed HDR series and this frame was 3 stops over exposed.(for shadow detail)  It's also the only frame with the lightning strike.  Because it was a raw file, all the important elements in the photo were recovered via DXO Pro9 and Lightroom.

Lightning strike Clay Lacy P-51 Reno 2013 Sati 4321 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 01:22:52 AM »
Increase in resolution: not much.
Everything else like white balance, shadows, lights, local corrections can be much better.
1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III,
Fuji X- E2, XF 23 1,4, XF 18- 55 2,8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 01:22:52 AM »