May 27, 2018, 08:06:15 AM

Author Topic: Upgrade from 7D  (Read 12589 times)

rockyduderino

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: Upgrade from 7D
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 01:10:36 AM »
I meant that it's one step on the knob on my camera. I think I understand but yeah, I'm tripping, that's for sure. Not just by this, but by ALL the technical stuff. I was naive enough that I wouldn't have to get into that and just shoot as I got instructions from a friend before I started. I didn't understand that the instructions were more like opinions and however are not relevant anymore because of the technical evolution.

Now I'm looking at completing this 4 year project with my S____ camera or shooting pictures that will make what I have done so far look if not mediocre, at least very different.

How do you think the picture style of C100 would compare with the D7 that I've shot with?
Better than A7s I assume?

Also, any other tips on handling aliasing in post, like jagged horizons, mountain crests, sand dune crests?
I tried a bit with gaussian blur but it blurs the whole picture too much. Or is there a way to apply blur only in parts of the picture, kind of a like vignette of blur or something?

Thanks so much for the input! For real.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 01:10:36 AM »

Tinky

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 05:10:57 AM »
The c100 has bigger photosites and less noise per iso.

I wouldn't get too hung up on this.  Shoot the new footage the best you can, not trying to match an older inferior camera..  you can add things like guassian mono noise in post if you feel it needs it.

Do keep everything progressive though... the c100 has interlaced modes.  Interlaced mixed with progressive has the potential to jar, with combing effects etc.

If you want to isolate an area then duplicate the video layer, do the blur on the upper layer and garbage matte out the bits you don't want.

If you aren't getting on too well with blur then try the marvels plug-in.

Also, as with pics.  Use a real world viewing environment.. no pixel peeping.  Things can look terrible on a monitor which look great on a conventional tv.
2x Panasonic G7, Metabones .64 xl. EOS 3, 300X, 7D, 60D, 400D, 20D, 10D, M1, Arsat 80mm TS, Samyangs f1.4 35, 50 & 85, f2.0 20mm, ef-m 22 f2.0, 100 2.0, 70-200 2.8L, Sigma 18-50 2.8, 70mm f2.8, Tokina 11-16 2.8, 400 5.6, OSMO, P3-4K, and lots and lots of grip, lights, sound gear.

rockyduderino

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 06:42:05 AM »
Thanks for your input, it means a lot!

Yeah I'm at a big crossroads. I'm choosing between

- buying a D7 Mark II anyway which would be a compromise to finish the project with a camera that is not too different (lenses / picture profiles etc) but still (considerably?) better regarding aliasing and noise. And then sell it when the project is finished early next year.
- doing what you suggest and just shoot the rest with a new camera, most probably a sony a7s. Though I'm a bit scared that I won't like the style of the good quality of the new cameras, especially not next to my material from the D7. i have got the feeling the footage may become less filmic?

I borrowed an A7 from a store just to feel it out and was panicking from how different everything was. Settings, systems, file format but especially the picture profiles. It is very hard to find a picture profile (or creative style as sony calls it) that matches the ones I used on my D7. When I turn everything down as flat as possible it looks very different (sooo much flatter than the flat settings on my canon!) and when I use the existing
It's also hard to compare since the A7 has . All that made me want to run back to canon with the tail between my legs.. For a new project it would be different but being in the middle of one makes it hard to handle the changes.

I think I feel that the c100 is partly too heavy and partly too expensive.. And it will still probably be as tough to match with my old material..

Thanks for the advice on keeping everything progressive! So no 50i then, right?

Which marvel plug are you talking about?

Yeah, I know, then again 99 % will probably watch it on a computer / phone anyway..

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 11:09:02 AM »
i have got the feeling the footage may become less filmic?

If you want "film look" rather try a ff camera like the 5d2....

I borrowed an A7 from a store just to feel it out and was panicking from how different everything was.

Indeed it is, one of the main reason Canon probably doesn't worry too much of people jumping ship because the competition has the better specs. Whenever I handle a Nikon or esp. Sony (with evf) in a shop I come to realize how blindly/quickly I handle my Canon equipment by now. If you're in the middle of a project, I'd say rather don't take the risk.

Ebrahim Saadawi

• EOS M5
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 02:26:09 PM »
7D MKII vs your 7D

-60p at 1080p
-No aliasing or moire
-Much improved low light performance (closer to 5D3)
-Dual Pixel Autofocus, brilliant piece of technology
-Clean HDMI output with full Audio and Timecode for external recording to ProRes
-Headphone jack to monitor your audio whilst recording
-Better, less compressed codec, 90mbps ALL-I vs 30-mbps Long-Gop
-29:59 minutes recording time vs. 12 minutes on the 7D
-Internal Timelapse mode (intervalometer)

I think it's the best choice for you to mix with the footage from a Canon DSLR (same picture styles and colour science) and since you're uncomfortable with learning an entirely new system.

The 7D mk II is the best Canon DSLR for video right now, as while the 5D3 gains a bigger sensor it lacks many new features on the new 7D mk II.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 02:26:09 PM »