December 10, 2016, 09:38:36 PM

Author Topic: 7D2, 5D3 and Megapixel Insights  (Read 42772 times)

Minnesota Nice

Re: 7D2, 5D3 and Megapixel Insights
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »
My ambition is really low. :)

My wish list for 5D3:

- Improved & cleaner sensor at high ISO (1+ stop improvement over 5D2)
- 19 cross-type AF points,
- weather seal,
- LP-E6 battery pack (If they update it, just make it compatible with 7D/60D and vice versa.), and
- SD/CF slots,
- f-stop adjustable in Av mode for video (just like 5D2, whereas 7D/60D just have either full auto or full manual mode).

If 5D3 comes out with that for $2,600-$2,700, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. :)

I'm sure it will be using that XQD card by the time it's released.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »

michael6liu

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 09:14:44 PM »

My wish list for 5D3:

- weather seal,
- LP-E6 battery pack (If they update it, just make it compatible with 7D/60D and vice versa.), and
- SD/CF slots,
- f-stop adjustable in Av mode for video (just like 5D2, whereas 7D/60D just have either full auto or full manual mode).

I like the first 4 points but I'm a bit greedy on ISO! 2 stops would be nice! After all these years and only a mere 1 stop increase will sure let down a lot of people.
Throw in a wireless flash control and I don't care about SD slot or video function.

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 09:50:32 PM »
Good news everyone waiting for the 5D3, it's announcement should happen within the next week since I finally gave up waiting on it and bit on a 5D2. Such is my luck.

Adorama has body + Canon USA warranty for $2K bundled with a Slinger bag and Red Giant Magic Bullet PhotoLooks, Text Anarchy and Knoll Light Factory for Photoshop.

I need to do some advertising shots for my business websites as well as a series of videos and the bundled software definitely made me bite on this deal. I'm a huge Red Giant fan for their video plugins. And best of all it will get written off this tax year, despite the high likelyhood the 5D3 will appear very soon now that I bit on the old one...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:03:32 PM by skitron »
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Rokinon 14mm Canon TC 1.4x III

AG

• Canon 70D
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 10:53:39 PM »

My wish list for 5D3:

- weather seal,
- SD/CF slots,

- Would like to see ISO raised by 2+
- AF agreed
- Sealing agreed
- Battery AND Body the same/similar so we can still use the BG-E6 also would be nice. Otherwise I'm just moving all my LP-E6 batteries over to my old 60D.
- Would like to keep the CF card format, One of the cut downs from the 1DX could be single not Dual CF, so that could work.
- Disagree, Learn to use manual mode  :P
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

michael6liu

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 11:00:47 PM »
I would not hold my breath for 5dIII to be $2000. It will be around $2500-3000 when released. The recent price drop on 5dII has more to do with retailers during holiday season than anything. It might even go up slightly early next year until 5dIII announcement. Hopefully around CES, but more likely to be Photokina.

Sony is showing some promising results from the NEX7 but that is just one mirroless camera with a crop sensor. There are a couple of hurdles Sony needs to pass first before they can challenge Canon & Nikon:
1. Fix A77. If anything, the A77 (APS-C sensor) proves Sony is lacking in one area or the other when it comes to producing a conventional DSLR. That translates into a big unknown for their full-frame DSLR.

Why does the A77 sensor need improving? It is better than any Canon APS-C sensor.

2. Get the lenses on par with Canon & Nikon. What's a camera system without proper lenses to max out its potential? At this moment, NEX7 is heavily relying on lenses manufactured by others, like Leica. It is accetable for now with an adapter but what does that tell you about Sony as a brand? Is that the kind of company people wanna invest money into? There's no easy way to do this and it will take a long time.

The important point here is that Sony is bringing new lenses to market - they're not just sitting around doing nothing.

Personally, I would not bother with a Sony full-frame even if it's priced at $2000. I have invested in Canon's gears and I have no intention of switching unless my disposable income just shoots off the roof so that I can buy Sony stuff on the side.

Right, so Canon already owns you and has nothing to fear from you deciding to spend money on photographic equipment from Nikon/Sony.

But there are many millions more people out there that have not yet bought into a lens system from either Canon, Nikon or Sony....

OK. I get it you're a BIG fan of Sony. So what exactly are you doing here on a Canon Rumor forum? Trying to persuade people to join your cause?

LimeTapse

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 11:05:37 PM »
I still think Canon has to respond with a sub $2K FF with cutting edge low light capabilities when I see stuff like DP's just-today released review of $1300 Sony NEX7 that now "in terms of out-and-out image quality probably the best APS-C camera yet, regardless of size" and "offering excellent high ISO performance for low light work, with quite usable results up to ISO 6400".

How will this compare with the 5MDII?    Could a similar challenge of improved low light performance come from a $1800 Sony FF if they bring one out soon?  Or a $2000 Pentax FF (isn't the APS-C K5's low light performance 'close' to the 5DMII)?  How will a $900 Rebel T4i with Digic 5 hold up - might it be within a half stop (the 7D sensor is only a stop worse)?

That's why Canon can't price their least expensive NEW bottom-of-the-line FF at $2700, or $3500 for that matter (it almost seems that some on here don't want to see a <2K Canon FF... is that a case of 'keep the FFs out of the hands of the masses' attitude, or a case of 'I had to pay $3200 for my first FF, you should too').

Competition drives prices down, economies of scale drive prices down, a maturing market segment drives prices down.  IIRC, the 5d came to market around $3299, and the 5DMII at $600 less, I am convinced they can do a 'lighter build' FF with cutting-edge low light capabilities  for $1899.

And now they might just have to!

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 12:53:16 AM »
i just really really want a pro build FF with no integrated grip battery life now in modern LI batteries is fine the grip is just un-necessary bulk. We need something more like nikons D700 and upcoming D800. I'm not interested in a FF rebel no feature plastic fantastic but i dont begrudge anyone for wanting such a camera, I guess there would be some concern from a business standpoint that a cheap FF might canibalise sale on the higher end ones, maybe they are still smarting from the 5D2 cutting the legs out from under the 1Ds3
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 12:53:16 AM »

jweu

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 02:45:41 AM »
i just really really want a pro build FF with no integrated grip battery life now in modern LI batteries is fine the grip is just un-necessary bulk. We need something more like nikons D700 and upcoming D800. I'm not interested in a FF rebel no feature plastic fantastic but i dont begrudge anyone for wanting such a camera, I guess there would be some concern from a business standpoint that a cheap FF might canibalise sale on the higher end ones, maybe they are still smarting from the 5D2 cutting the legs out from under the 1Ds3
I agree and think: If lenses are sharp enough for 18MP crop sensor, there lenses should be good enough for 45MP FF. So why not more Pixels at 3 images per second? Unfortunetly Canon is not reporting MTF with with 60 and 100 Linepairs per mm.

torger

• EOS M3
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 03:17:10 AM »
I hope they make the 7D2 a "mini 1DX", focused on superior speed AF and low light capability for the APS-C format, and keep the good build quality. I'd like to see a reduction rather than increase in megapixels -- leave the high MP count to full format (I'd love a 5Dmk3 with 36+ megapixels) and possibly lower end APS-C -- and let the "pro" APS-C camera 7D2 be an action/wildlife camera, 12 megapixels with improved noise performance would be nice.

I think it will be a smart move to have like today that 7D and 5D are complementary, so you want to own them both.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:19:56 AM by torger »

whatta

• EOS M3
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 04:04:35 AM »
I hope they make the 7D2 a "mini 1DX", focused on superior speed AF and low light capability for the APS-C format, and keep the good build quality. I'd like to see a reduction rather than increase in megapixels -- leave the high MP count to full format (I'd love a 5Dmk3 with 36+ megapixels) and possibly lower end APS-C -- and let the "pro" APS-C camera 7D2 be an action/wildlife camera, 12 megapixels with improved noise performance would be nice.

I think it will be a smart move to have like today that 7D and 5D are complementary, so you want to own them both.
+1, except no more MP into low end apsc  ;)
Canon 400d | efs 15-85 | efs 60/2.8 | Sigma 30/1.4 | (broken efs 17-85)

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2011, 04:44:07 AM »
Even with lower stats, 1DX buyers spending a whopping ~$7000 will be pissed off if the sensor, the central feature, the brain is the same with a cheaper cousin that is already announced. From a marketing point of view, this is no way for them to sell enough 1DX and they won't do it!

Agree. There's no way Canon is going down in MPx count for 5D and using the same sensor as 1D X. This would cause loosing high MPx buyers if it is not 21+ or loosing 1D X buyers if it is 18 MPx. However they can bring out a 1D IV similar sensor (some changes might be applied) and give people ~27 MPx on a full-frame.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:45:38 AM by nightbreath »
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

Jettatore

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2011, 05:32:49 AM »
With the economy the way it is, shortening a product's life cycle is the exact opposite thing any developer should be thinking about.  My bet is that 7D II doesn't see an actual shelf till the very end of 2012 or early 2013.  5D Mark III is due for release some-time in 2012.  A side by side announcement or release of these two cameras (while it may very well happen) just doesn't make any sense.  The 5D Mark II and original 7D were released about a year apart from each other and it would make more sense that they will continue with that trend, it worked, really well for them.

At any rate, I'm planning to upgrade to 5D Mark III (or equivalent if they end up releasing two 5D sized upgraded bodies with different names) in 2012, and 7D Mark II in 2013 or later especially I can snag it at a reduced price/find a good deal on a used copy, I'm pretty happy with the 7D as it is.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:41:46 AM by Jettatore »

whatta

• EOS M3
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 05:57:38 AM »
With the economy the way it is, shortening a product's life cycle is the exact opposite thing any developer should be thinking about.
true, but if they reuse sensor, af, digic like they do so, development is less camera by camera but more generations by generations.
Canon 400d | efs 15-85 | efs 60/2.8 | Sigma 30/1.4 | (broken efs 17-85)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 05:57:38 AM »

motorhead

• Canon 70D
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 06:56:23 AM »
I don't see the 18 MP 1Dx having a long life span. Canon had to produce something for the Olympics next year and this they have done. However good the camera proves to be in other areas for the photojournalists and sports togs, 18 MP is not enough in the long term to replace the higher quality 1Ds mk3.

KeithR

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 07:09:46 AM »
I understand that the larger the MP count the more it suffers from ISO noise.
Then you don't understand, I'm afraid. It simply doesn't work like that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 07:09:46 AM »