August 22, 2014, 11:42:05 PM

Author Topic: Automatic Microfocus adjustment software  (Read 44501 times)

Kent

Automatic Microfocus adjustment software
« on: December 16, 2011, 02:07:55 PM »
There is a software that soon will be released for automatic Microfocus adjustment branded FoCal . It works with Canon 5D Mark II and Canon 7D. More information available at:  http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/
I have tried it with 3 different lenses and my 5D Mark II and i'm impressed so far.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:21:08 PM by Kent »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Microfocus adjustment software
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »
Sweet stuff! I works for me with the Spyder LensCal, but this I will test when it comes along. Thanks for sharing.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:06:45 PM »
It sounds interesting.  We know that its possible to automate the process, but someone is actually doing it!  The file size gets larger, for one thing when your image has more detail, so they might just be adjusting focus until a maximum file size is reached.

In any event, if it works, it would help someone with a large number of lenses to calibrate.  Maybe a lens rental company would benefit a lot, if they don't already have custom software.

EyesOnly

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:16:10 PM »
How did you get the software?
I'd like to try it too,

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:26:09 PM »
Well this seem interesting indeed, but it looks from the website to be more into a BETA stage.  I could not get the software to try it from the website per say.  I am curious to try it and know how you got an early testing version...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

ejenner

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:07:12 PM »
I tried this and couldn't get it to work properly.  I ended up using this method (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html) and really like it.  A bit more manual, but you can clearly see what it is doing and no second guessing some software.

The above software doesn't really show me what it is doing and I don't think it is sensitive enough to the exact focus.

But many people do seem really pleased with it.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 11:45:07 PM »
There is a software that soon will be released for automatic Microfocus adjustment branded FoCal . It works with Canon 5D Mark II and Canon 7D. More information available at:  http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/
I have tried it with 3 different lenses and my 5D Mark II and i'm impressed so far.

Are you a beta tester for Reikan/FoCal? Would you let the list know when it's ready for prime time?

I've successfully used Michael Tapes LensAlign system http://www.whibalhost.com/lensalign/products.html and the results make the purchase price well worthwhile.

In particular my stellar 70-200 f/2.8isII is now even more accurate, particularly up close at f/2.8, my 50 f/1.4 is now useable and other lenses have all benefited from micro adjustments.

Paul Wright

Kent

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 02:28:10 AM »
There was a couple of early versions avilable for download until a week ago so i have tried it and it works OK.
I have registered for the beta testing and if I'm selected I will update the forum when it is released.

Kent

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 05:16:42 AM »
The software will be released to public 2011-01-02, it's available to order now at a special preorder price.
I ordered my copy today.

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/purchase.html

Picsfor

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 05:30:41 AM »
thanks for the tip, i registered for beta testing as well, having 5D2's - i thought this software would be invaluable.
not a bad price either, considering.

Just feel this is something Canon should have been doing...

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 11:17:09 PM »
thanks for the tip, i registered for beta testing as well, having 5D2's - i thought this software would be invaluable.
not a bad price either, considering.

Just feel this is something Canon should have been doing...

Canon may eventually sell a kit, but count on it costing $600 or more.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
I received the download link and registration for both my 5D MK II and my 7D Monday.  I was too busy to spend much time with it, but did print and read both manuals that came with it.  Fairly good manuals for a first edition.  I was impressed at the understanding of the Canon AF system that the author demonstrated, and expect to shorten my time to calibrate lenses by a huge amount.  Some of the tools included will also help to identify lenses which do not autofocus consistently and let me make a decision as to whether repair is needed.

One thing that is not well covered, is how to physically mount and align the target.  Its silent on some of the possibilities.  Mounting the target on a wall is one obvious method, but I do not have any walls that happen to be good places to mounnt the target, they need to be well ligkhted, and I need to be able to have a clear view for up to 20 or 30 feet.

So, today, I came up with a tripod mount that will give me freedom to place them, as well as adjust height and perpendicularity to the camera body.  I had some heavy lucite photo holders that I never used, that are letter sized, so I printed the targets on Epson Exibition Fiber (heavy) paper and mounted them to the lucite.  Then I tapped a 1/4-20 thread into the bottom of the holder so that my tripod quick release would screw into it.

Thats as far as I got today, I did, of course install the software and verify that it recognised my camera properly.  So, I'm ready to start testing lenses, I'll tether the camera to my PC in my studio mounted on a sturdy tripod and with the target on another tripod, I'll get them in alignment and see how it goes.

Here are a couple of photos of my target holder.

1.  The two targets with the lens align tool between for comparison

2. My 30 year old tripod is excellent for this use, but no good for a DSLR.  The target is attached to the lucite with a couple of strips of 2 inch double back tape.

3.  The tripod quick release threaded into the lucite stand and attached to the tripod. The tripod is tilted forward so the target is vertical.

4.  Tripod with target mounted on a table.  I'll sit it on the follr for actual use.

In a day or two, I hope to compare my lens-align settings with those developed by the FoCal Unit.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »

In a day or two, I hope to compare my lens-align settings with those developed by the FoCal Unit.

I am eager to know your findings as this software promise to be very useful if it works!  Good luck!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »
I worked mine last night for several lenses on my new 5D2, but haven't tested the lenses yet.

Some notes on function/setup, etc.
I purchased the fully automatic version, and it is slick- way cool to watch it control the camera and watch it graph results.
Before running the program, go to the tools section and have it acquire the target
Best to put a weight on the camera tripod and put it on a very secure floor to minimize vibration
You don't need to purchase the additional target, just print the one off that comes with the license
Windows only
Couldn't get it to recognize my camera on Parallels (not recent version however)
worked great on windows lappy
Prime L's gave rather consistent results
Zoom L's gave some variable results, with different values wide, mid-range, and telephoto end (1DX can handle this)

Hope to check the results this weekend.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

flbs

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 06:10:19 AM »
Please let us know your experience with the software. If it is any good it will be interesting for many people. :)