July 19, 2018, 01:43:05 PM

Author Topic: A Sony & Canon Sensor Partnership Mentioned Again [CR1]  (Read 64384 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
A Sony & Canon Sensor Partnership Mentioned Again [CR1]
« on: January 28, 2015, 09:28:07 AM »

Every few weeks, we get told that Canon will be using a Sony sensor in the upcoming high resolution Canon DSLR. Today was another one of those days.

Direct Quote

“Canon will buy sony sensors for the next full frame cameras. but they are more a joint venture from Canon and Sony. Sony will make them and they will have EXMOR technology, for Canon they will get the DualPixel AF. So it’s a patent exchange that helps both companies. Sony will still sell the sensors to Nikon, but only without the DualPixel technology. Sony has the capacity to produce two lines of these 53MP sensors.”

I have yet to hear this from someone I know, it’s all coming from new and unknown sources. Take this with a salt truck. Thankfully, we won’t have long to wait to find out if this is true.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

A Sony & Canon Sensor Partnership Mentioned Again [CR1]
« on: January 28, 2015, 09:28:07 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: A Sony & Canon Sensor Partnership Mentioned Again [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »
interesting approach... ???

More DR for Canon. Better AF speed for Sony mirrorless?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:37:38 AM by Dylan777 »

3kramd5

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »
How does sony have that capability? They must expend vast resources on their fab lines.

Either way: cool. Hopefully sourcing sensors will bring down the cost.

Orangutan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 09:40:19 AM »

Sony's going to want a piece of the action; my guess is that it raises prices.

I'm mixed on this announcement rumor: it's good that the high MP cameras (which I can't afford) will get improved studio/landscape capability.  On the other hand, I hope Canon doesn't get out of the sensor business entirely -- we need more competition.

3kramd5

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:50:40 AM »

Sony's going to want a piece of the action; my guess is that it raises prices.

I'm guessing that Sony can sell Canon sensors at a profit for less than Canon can produce them. But I suppose it's a pipe dream that, if true, any of that savings shows up in MSRP.

On the other hand, I hope Canon doesn't get out of the sensor business entirely -- we need more competition.

Sony, Aptina, Toshiba, Samsung, Fuji, Foveon, etc. are all pushing innovation. I agree that more is better, but one fewer player in a component game isn't necessarily going to impact the market significantly.

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 09:54:04 AM »
Taken with abundant sodium chloride.  ;D  Well, if it has better dynamic resolution, I may be in. I shoot a fair amount of landscape.

Orangutan

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:54:18 AM »
Sony, Aptina, Toshiba, Samsung, Fuji, Foveon, etc. are all pushing innovation. I agree that more is better, but one fewer player in a component game isn't necessarily going to impact the market significantly.

I thought about that, but Canon's size is important.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:54:18 AM »

Canihaspicture

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
They absolutely don't have to produce two different chips. They can produce the same chip simply with the dualpixel feature disabled. This would save Sony a ton of money and the ability to have several customers of the chip.

erjlphoto

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 09:56:02 AM »
We have but to wait for the excitement to begin.
No, not the Superbowl....the new Canon.

filipe

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
<p>Every few weeks, we get told that Canon will be using a Sony sensor in the upcoming high resolution Canon DSLR. Today was another one of those days.</p>
<p><strong>Direct Quote<br />

</strong><em>“Canon will buy sony sensors for the next full frame cameras. but they are more a joint venture from Canon and Sony. Sony will make them and they will have EXMOR technology, for Canon they will get the DualPixel AF. <span class="s1">So it’s a patent exchange that helps both companies. S</span>ony will still sell the sensors to Nikon, but only without the DualPixel technology. Sony has the capacity to produce two lines of these 53MP sensors.”</em></p>
<p class="p1">I have yet to hear this from someone I know, it’s all coming from new and unknown sources. Take this with a salt truck. Thankfully, we won’t have long to wait to find out if this is true.</p>
<p class="p1"><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

I guess or not this partnership will extend also for the new rebel 750D, at least for the sensor.

Wouldn't be nice for the new rebel to have top LCD, dual pixel AF and 24.2 sensor from Sony? eheheheh. Or maybe for a lower price only the Sony sensor.

This high mega pixel cameras are beyond my budget or even a FF.

docsmith

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 10:00:16 AM »
Whatever gives us the best sensor.

BTW, I was looking over at this site and was intrigued that even for Nikon, the D4 and D4S sensors were not from Sony.  The site has them listed as Nikon, but I wonder if it is someone else.

http://www.senscore.org/

Khufu

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 10:09:35 AM »
DPAF on the sec... no, third(?) generation of A7 cameras would be a massive leap forward! How about sharing some Tele-lens tech with Sony, too? Or EF compatibility? Between them they've nailed it all, divided they're going to have to keep on playing the patent-monopoly vs "what's the next best idea we've got?" game...

Would love to weild a pairing of A7s and A7r bodies with DPAF, sensor shift tech and 400 f/5.6L AF compatibility, amongst other EF lenses - and no, not necessarily to use those last 2 features together ;) ...and a boost in fps would be nice.

*sigh* is there anything we can do to encourage Canon and Sony to play ball?
5D3 // EOS M2 & SL1 // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // SONY HDR FX1000  // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

Lawliet

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »
I thought about that, but Canon's size is important.
Compare that size to the volume a production line of your average contract foundry can handle. Imaging sensors aren't that much combined area compared to more mainstream applications - while individually large their total number keeps the amount of wafers to be processed in check.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »

PureClassA

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon since age 5. The A1
    • Shields Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 10:21:42 AM »
It's going to be hard not to hold my breath on this one, but I'm licking the Salt Mine right now.  This makes a lot of sense considering previous discussions that Canon's biggest issue is NOT the sensor, but the read noise itself because the Analog to Digital converter is OFF the sensor die which introduced noise into the signal path and accounts for the loss of 2-3 stops of DR.  So Canon can partner with Sony, who it is no competition with for pro level DSLR (not mirrorless) and leverage their manufacturing process without having to invest what assume would be $10s of Millions of their own capital to do it. 

I would guess the most important part of the Exmor IS that AD being ON the die and if Sony has a patent application for it... well there ya go. 

If this comes to fruition I think jaws will hit the floor in short order.  A Sony sensor with Canon AF is insane.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:25:46 AM by PureClassA »
Financial Planner by day, Photography by heart.

5D Mk III, 5DSR, 1DX Mk II

Lawliet

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
The site has them listed as Nikon, but I wonder if it is someone else.

It's a common misconception that you'd need a fab to make a sensor. You only need to provide the specs to a contractor. Nikon has always either bought 3rd party sensors or used their owns, depending on what is more convenient. OTOH having a dedicted line of sensor manufacture means you're stuck with it, can't pay it off with other jobs - all eggs in one basket.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »