January 19, 2018, 12:55:21 PM

Author Topic: Samyang 14mm F2.8 with Auto Aperture for Canon  (Read 22729 times)

YellowJersey

• EOS Rebel T7i
Re: Samyang 14mm F2.8 with Auto Aperture for Canon
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 05:55:03 PM »
For those interested, I found them available new on Ebay for $400 USD shipped.

Samyang 14 mm F/2.8 MF UMC IF AS ED Lens For Canon EF AE version (New) was the item posting title. It purports to have an aperture motor to allow AE, and the Samyang site shows that there's an AF confirm chip as well. 

I'll update the thread in a week or so when the lens gets here.

Ok, a focus confirm chip has me interested. When did this version come out? I went on the Samyang site and I, too, saw it was a "newly released" version.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 05:55:03 PM »

clawoftui

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »
I'm not sure when it was actually released - but I couldn't find a reference to it at BH, Adorama, or Amazon when I looked.  So I'm taking a chance and I ordered it off ebay, based partially on feedback I read on another forum (dprev? can't remember anymore) about the seller (leejc8136) being top notch.  We'll see how this goes, I'm usually not one to be an early adopter.

I tried to contact Samyang directly via email on their website, but no response...

Ok, a focus confirm chip has me interested. When did this version come out? I went on the Samyang site and I, too, saw it was a "newly released" version.

YellowJersey

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 04:09:04 AM »
I'm not sure when it was actually released - but I couldn't find a reference to it at BH, Adorama, or Amazon when I looked.  So I'm taking a chance and I ordered it off ebay, based partially on feedback I read on another forum (dprev? can't remember anymore) about the seller (leejc8136) being top notch.  We'll see how this goes, I'm usually not one to be an early adopter.

I tried to contact Samyang directly via email on their website, but no response...

You are a braver man (or woman?) than I. I wouldn't have the guts to buy a lens on ebay, much less one with such questionable QC. I hope you get a good copy and I look forward to hearing your impressions of this lens.

degos

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »
Do you really need it? I kind of find it fun changing the aperture physically. Feels old school.

Changing the aperture manually isn't difficult, but having to open-up wide to focus and then stop-down to expose and shoot is cumbersome and time-consuming. 

I do it with old medium-format lenses all the time but those are for still-life and architecture shots, not chasing toddlers around the house...

I've talked myself into ordering the 135mm but I'm going to hang-on and see if they retrofit it with AE as they have done with the 35 and 14.

clawoftui

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 09:03:07 PM »
OK - the lens arrived today.  It seems to work well - no aperture ring on the lens, it's controlled electronically by the body.  DOF preview works as expected, focus confirmation lights work. Seems to be a winner, but I'll need to test it tomorrow for decentering, etc.   Really happy with it so far... ordered last week, and it arrived from Korea today.

<edit>Here's a couple of pictures - sorry for the poor quality - my "good" cell phone isn't working...

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:34:53 AM by clawoftui »

YellowJersey

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 11:13:51 PM »
OK - the lens arrived today.  It seems to work well - no aperture ring on the lens, it's controlled electronically by the body.  DOF preview works as expected, focus confirmation lights work. Seems to be a winner, but I'll need to test it tomorrow for decentering, etc.   Really happy with it so far... ordered last week, and it arrived from Korea today.

<edit>Here's a couple of pictures - sorry for the poor quality - my "good" cell phone isn't working...

Would you mind trying something out for me? Could you see if focus confirm works when trying to photograph the stars? (if this not feasible for you, then that's cool. I don't expect you to go out of your way for me). My key interest in this lens is for shooting the stars and am wondering if the focus confirm chip is of any use for the stars.

clawoftui

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 11:56:08 PM »

Would you mind trying something out for me? Could you see if focus confirm works when trying to photograph the stars?

Sorry for the delay - it's been hazy here at night, and  I haven't been able to get out.  I'll try to do it tonight and let you know. For what it's worth, the focus confirm DOES work in normal light - I tested that out the other day.

UPDATE: I tried out the focus confirmation by pointing at the only star I could see last night... It didn't work - it was so dark and at 14mm, I couldn't see the star thru the viewfinder.  I'll try again when I'm out of the city next - there was so much ambient light around town.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:10:47 PM by clawoftui »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 11:56:08 PM »

YellowJersey

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 03:34:53 AM »

Would you mind trying something out for me? Could you see if focus confirm works when trying to photograph the stars?

Sorry for the delay - it's been hazy here at night, and  I haven't been able to get out.  I'll try to do it tonight and let you know. For what it's worth, the focus confirm DOES work in normal light - I tested that out the other day.

UPDATE: I tried out the focus confirmation by pointing at the only star I could see last night... It didn't work - it was so dark and at 14mm, I couldn't see the star thru the viewfinder.  I'll try again when I'm out of the city next - there was so much ambient light around town.

Thanks! I appreciate it. No worries for the delay, mate. You're doing me a favour, so I'm in no position to badger you.

How's the build quality? Any decentering?

ajfotofilmagem

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 10:47:40 AM »
The BH site shows the new model (no photo yet) priced at $ 499.

Rokinon 14mm F2.8 WDE ANGL LNS f/CAN w/AE CHIP

store code    B&H # RO1428WA
manufacturer code     MFR # AE14M-C

clawoftui

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 11:19:35 AM »

I like the build quality. It feels solid in my hands - the focusing ring is smooth, and the exterior surface of the lens feels great.  No sign of decentering on my copy. 

I used it for some portraits of my wife the other day, and I won't post them because she'd kill me, but I STRONGLY recommend this lens for comedic portraiture.  :)  The lens is extremely sharp, and the pixel peeping I've done suggests the image quality is easily sufficient for my needs.  I feel good about the purchase.

bereninga

• EOS 80D
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »

I like the build quality. It feels solid in my hands - the focusing ring is smooth, and the exterior surface of the lens feels great.  No sign of decentering on my copy. 

I used it for some portraits of my wife the other day, and I won't post them because she'd kill me, but I STRONGLY recommend this lens for comedic portraiture.  :)  The lens is extremely sharp, and the pixel peeping I've done suggests the image quality is easily sufficient for my needs.  I feel good about the purchase.

If you've had the previous version, how does it compare? Thanks for the updates! Can't wait to hear more about it.

The BH site shows the new model (no photo yet) priced at $ 499.

Rokinon 14mm F2.8 WDE ANGL LNS f/CAN w/AE CHIP

store code    B&H # RO1428WA
manufacturer code     MFR # AE14M-C

Yikes, $500 is pretty high compared to the older version (got mine for $220). I'll wait for the reviews and hopefulyl the price also will come down to $300-$400. Hard to justify a specialty lens like this.

clawoftui

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 01:13:54 PM »
If you've had the previous version, how does it compare? Thanks for the updates! Can't wait to hear more about it.

I didn't have the manual version, so nothing to compare it to - first time purchase of a Samyang lens for me.

mclaren777

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 01:17:07 AM »
Is B&H the only/best place to purchase one of these?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 01:17:07 AM »

clawoftui

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 01:35:45 AM »
I found mine on ebay, but B&H has them too, albeit for a higher price.

Is B&H the only/best place to purchase one of these?

mclaren777

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 11:08:54 AM »
Could you post a link to the seller's eBay page?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 11:08:54 AM »