Yes!
38 (47.5%)
No!
32 (40%)
What's a karma?
10 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: January 15, 2012, 11:00:09 AM

Author Topic: Should karma remain on the forum?  (Read 17598 times)

Minnesota Nice

Re: Should karma remain on the forum?
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »
I think it would just be nice to see which posts you received a +/- for because sometimes I get awfully confused.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2012, 06:33:26 PM »
i would like to see the karma thing disappear.  it's hard to be honest about a Canon product without having someone who has a red stripe around their panties getting them into a wad.  let's get into imaging instead of getting into personalities.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2012, 06:43:28 PM »
i would like to see the karma thing disappear.  it's hard to be honest about a Canon product without having someone who has a red stripe around their panties getting them into a wad.  let's get into imaging instead of getting into personalities.

Meh I've been smited plenty for being honest :) doesn't stop me, some people smite if they disagree i guess I only smite if someone is being abusive etc I prefer to applaud if i agree or even if its a well presented arguement. I think karma is good.
APS-H Fanboy

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
Here are some things that posters may be doing without realizing it.

Some posters (I'm not pointing this at anyone here).  Do not seem to recognize when they are insulting others, and then wonder why they get smites.

Refering to users by a derogatory term like Fanboys is one common denominator.

Putting other users into a class of people who are not experts like the poster is.

Posting, I am going to do XXX if Canon does not create the camera I dream about is boring, and do it enough times, and its irritating.  It kinda falls into #2.  I know better than anyone else.

Ideally, posts should be thoughtful and provide some positive information rather than incessant whinning.  That comes accross as childish.  Its not a ideal world, but I wish some would not troll the forum trying to stir up others with childish comments.

Then, there are those who smite others for no good reason.  Just ignore them.

+1 for all the recent posters.

ions

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • ions' flickr
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2012, 01:22:23 AM »
Bandwagon jumpers always want to be seen as heroes. This is why they jump from wagon to wagon, to be seen. Smite them no matter which wagon they jump from.
Gear: Canon EOS 5DIII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70 ƒ2.8L | Canon 100 ƒ2.8L | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC, 804RC2 head.
flickr

Beautor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »
Personally I'm not a fan of the Karma function but I don't really care if someone smites me either. Its too anonymous to really be useful. I think that too often it gets used as a disagree button, rather than when someone is being a troll and posting crap. I'd rather base my opinion of other forum members on the quality of the information they provide. I'm not going to disregard anything that Neuroanatomist says just because someone disagreed with him 400+ times. I've not been participating on the board for terribly long, but I think I can safely say that Neuro is not a troll, and doesn't go around spouting banalities. The same goes for ScalesUSA. I highly doubt that this admin really deserves to have the applaud/smite ratio that they do.

Most people who participate regularly on internet forums are able to fomulate an accurate opinion of which posters are the trolls and which ones have the best information after reading a couple of threads. In the month or so that I've been participating here I've noticed a dozen or so individuals who consistantly post informative, thoughful, and humorous information. Those are the opinions that I value. The trolls are just a hazard of the internet.

By the way I don't know Neuroanatomist or ScalesUSA from Adam. I just pulled two example posters from the most recent page of this thread.

Simply a hobbyist with an expensive hobby.
40D & 60D, 24-70L, 70-200 F4L, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 No-VC

Marsu42

• ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »
Ideally, posts should be thoughtful and provide some positive information rather than incessant whinning.  That comes accross as childish.

I do agree about "thoughful", but disagree with "positive" - I think it quite ok to get an opinion e.g. about the rather steep pricing of new L lenses and to ask if the results you get from this dslr stuff does relate to the costs.

Some posters (I'm not pointing this at anyone here).  Do not seem to recognize when they are insulting others, and then wonder why they get smites. [...] Then, there are those who smite others for no good reason.  Just ignore them.

This is the point - how to tell "for no good reason" from everything else! I for one always like constructive criticism, but the current karma system is not helping - it is not post-specific and thus does not offer any guidance, the only way to handle it is to ignore it. Imho, there should be a simple rating for single posts without the moral implications of "karma". All other global ratings like karma or post count are very vague to me.

As for insulting, I think this is a tricky one: People seem to be quite sensitive if they only buy red ring gear and someone states "The newer / non-Canon gear is better at a lower price" - and I personally think being over-protective of one's brand and gear hindering a somewhat objective comparison does qualify as "fanboy". And there's an anti-fanboy, too: If people cannot afford top quality and someone comments "If you like taking pictures, get a 600L lens" there is an opposite reaction.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »
If the worst thing in your life is being smited on an internet forum by some nameless member then your life has got to be pretty amazing and you should be happy for that :D
APS-H Fanboy

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2012, 08:14:27 PM »
If the worst thing in your life is being smited on an internet forum by some nameless member then your life has got to be pretty amazing and you should be happy for that :D

+1 for that.

smirkypants

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2012, 05:09:01 AM »
When I was a little kid I tried for months trying to beat my best friend's high score at Donkey Kong but I never made it. I'm afraid I'm never going to get the high score at Karma :(

KeithR

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2012, 05:50:41 AM »

Very true - but if anything this just seems to emphasise the utter pointlessness of the Karma system...

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2012, 07:18:19 AM »
CR is a nice distraction.  The forum is like going to a bar frequented by photographers and hanging out.  I don't have much time for it but sometimes it's nice.  The Karma thing is one way to see who is the most cynical and gruff so I know who to listen to.  Sort of like wearing a tattoo and leather jacket.  How do I get my neg Karma numbers jacked in quickly so I have at least as many negatives as positives and have some 'street cred' with the bad boys??   8)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »
Well i've had a run of smites the last couple of days

cant work out why really

- maybe people dont like my attempts at jokes
- everytime i say i dont like photomatix i get smites like clockwork :D people are REAL sensetive about this for some reason. Same if you mention "overprocessing"
- I think people smite if they disagree with what you say. Basically if you state a defined opinion of anything someone will smite you for it. dont let the risk of smites stop you putting forward a clear civil logical opinion.

hopefully fear of smites deters people from being rude and offensive and derogatory

Generally I try to be as helpfull as possible because I have found people on here have helped me alot its a great resource don't let getting a few smites get you down.

APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2012, 08:02:12 PM »
- I think people smite if they disagree with what you say

I disagree.    ;D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses