June 23, 2018, 10:29:49 AM

Author Topic: Godox PB960 with canon 600ex rt  (Read 9756 times)

scottgoh

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Canon 1Dx
    • Best Adelaide Wedding Photographers
Godox PB960 with canon 600ex rt
« on: November 30, 2015, 10:37:39 PM »
We are one of the few  wedding photographers in Adelaide that uses flash in almost all section of any weddings. have a look at our recent blog/ website if u like

i get the most battery power for my 600ex-rt, i bought a Godox Pb960 last month and supply power to my 600ex.
last Sat, at a wedding, it "exploded" and i smell smoke coming out from the Godox unit. i did not multiple fire the flash. i switch everything off and it seems the flash is still working. i saw that the connecting cable seems to have been burnt. i tried to turn on the Godox and its not working.

anyone had such experience before?

Scott

canon rumors FORUM

Godox PB960 with canon 600ex rt
« on: November 30, 2015, 10:37:39 PM »

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
  • PBD loves juggling Pookie's balls...
Re: Godox PB960 with canon 600ex rt
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 12:21:20 AM »
We are one of the few  wedding photographers in Adelaide that uses flash in almost all section of any weddings. have a look at our recent blog/ website if u like

i get the most battery power for my 600ex-rt, i bought a Godox Pb960 last month and supply power to my 600ex.
last Sat, at a wedding, it "exploded" and i smell smoke coming out from the Godox unit. i did not multiple fire the flash. i switch everything off and it seems the flash is still working. i saw that the connecting cable seems to have been burnt. i tried to turn on the Godox and its not working.

anyone had such experience before?

Scott

Hi Scott...

I'm also a professional wedding/portrait photographer that uses similar powered units... almost exclusively. I have been using my strobes in wedding settings for almost 10 years. I own and use Elinchrom Rangers and Quadra's in addition to a Profoto B1 three light kit.

I have seen this happen before with Godox and Elinchrom Quadra's. It has never happened with mine but I have fellow photogs that have experienced this with a total failure in 2 Godox sets and one Elinchrom Quadras. All of them have required motherboard replacements and the root cause of failure is a pin in the connection cable between the control unit and flash heads. If the pins are loose and provide intermittent connections a short will occur. The Elinchrom Quadra failure occurred when an assistant failed to properly seat the connection and it came off during a shoot.

Not sure if this is your cause but it does sound eerily familiar (smoke and explosion). On a side note, this is why I have recently gone with Profoto B1 as there is little chance of this happening with that unit.
Simple truth about this site, if you're here you are daily chiming in with advice, you are  in no way a professional photographer and don't even try and pretend you are.

scottgoh

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Canon 1Dx
    • Best Adelaide Wedding Photographers
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 04:29:30 AM »
many thanks Pookie for the knowledge.
i too owned the Quadra too.

i will make sure that cable connection is close nicely everytime.

:)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 04:29:30 AM »