October 23, 2014, 07:33:06 AM

Author Topic: What makes a photographer, a photographer?  (Read 11448 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a photographer, a photographer?
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 11:24:57 AM »
Just outta curiosity.. I've always wondered.. ;D

Let's say you have a person who just set his camera for a shoot. He fiddled with the settings and walked off to blow his nose. Then his kid/cat/dog/friend pushes the shutter button.

The person later post processes all the pictures including the one he didn't "take".

Who is the photographer of that photo?

Just had a curious thought. heh heh
So my friend has a dog team... I mount a GoPro to the head of the dog, and off they go dogsledding. Am I the photographer, or is it the driver of the dog team, or is it Yukon King the wonder dog? And how do I massage my ego when I find out that Yukon King the wonder dog takes better pictures than I do?
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 11:24:57 AM »

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
If you want to be a photographer in Iceland:

"Working as a photographer or calling oneself a photographer requires a masters degree in photography from the Reykjavík Technical College, or a similar degree from another industry-based school in Iceland"

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law#cite_ref-50

:o

This is why one should not use Wikipedia. :P

In Iceland, under the Industry Act, to operate a professional photography business, requires the photographer to be registered as a tradesman of which there are three levels: Masters, Journeymen and Apprentices.  To own the business the photographer has to meet the requirements (pay fees) as a Master tradesman.

It has nothing to do with getting a Master's degree.  Think of it more like a photographer having a specific type of business license.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 12:38:50 PM »
If you want to be a photographer in Iceland:

"Working as a photographer or calling oneself a photographer requires a masters degree in photography from the Reykjavík Technical College, or a similar degree from another industry-based school in Iceland"

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law#cite_ref-50

:o

This is why one should not use Wikipedia. :P

In Iceland, under the Industry Act, to operate a professional photography business, requires the photographer to be registered as a tradesman of which there are three levels: Masters, Journeymen and Apprentices.  To own the business the photographer has to meet the requirements (pay fees) as a Master tradesman.

It has nothing to do with getting a Master's degree.  Think of it more like a photographer having a specific type of business license.

Interesting!  Is there any requirement for registering as a master level tradesman, or is it just different paperwork and/or more money?

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »
Interesting!  Is there any requirement for registering as a master level tradesman, or is it just different paperwork and/or more money?

That I don't know.  I just spend 5 minutes on the Internets Tubes pulling the Islandic law documents.

I am not a lawyer in real life, but on TV I play a guy who knows not to believe any uncited entry on Wikipedia... especially when it simply does not make sense.  ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »