February 25, 2018, 09:10:29 AM

Author Topic: 85L mk II rubber coating breakdown  (Read 21081 times)

TommyLee

• EOS 80D
85L mk II rubber coating breakdown
« on: February 19, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
the rubberized coating on my 3 yr old 85L mk II seemes to be breaking down...
feels a bit gummy/sticky ...

...  can it be restored...or better yet would canon consider this a defective material issue and ..can it be re-applied  by them...?  if they can replace/repair  is it expensive ...if they wont cover it...

it has not separated but doesn't feel like it is gonna last.....

the lens is dead-on accurate .... just the finish on the rubber makes it... lower value...I suppose
thanks for advice.....

canon rumors FORUM

85L mk II rubber coating breakdown
« on: February 19, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: 85L mk II rubber coating breakdown
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
I have had at least 7-8 85mm's and haven't seen this before, could you post a picture?
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

rs

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »
I have had at least 7-8 85mm's and haven't seen this before, could you post a picture?

7-8? What happened to the first 6-7?  ???
5D II | M2 | 16-35/4 L IS | 24-70/2.8 L II | 70-200/2.8 L IS II | SY 12/2.8 | 40/2.8 | 85/1.2 L II | 100/2.8 L IS | 22 M | 18-55 M | EF-EOS M | 1.4x TC II | 580EX II | 90EX

Viggo

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 06:33:41 AM »

Lol, fair question, my needs change and I can't agree with myself, and since I can't own every lens at the same time, I buy and sell a lot.

J.R.

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 07:36:21 AM »

Lol, fair question, my needs change and I can't agree with myself, and since I can't own every lens at the same time, I buy and sell a lot.

Yup ... I see the 200L II has disappeared
I took a hiatus from CR for a year and a half. The discussions haven't changed much. Excellent information is still being shared while people bitching about Canon cameras are still bitching and haven't moved on to Sony

TommyLee

• EOS 80D
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 07:44:21 AM »
you really can't SEE it... but you can feel it ... a photo cant show much...
it is as if i put some chem on it to clean it...which I never did...
or maybe it is just a batch of the rubbery 'grip' stuff...that went bad?...

Viggo

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 07:46:01 AM »

Yup ... I see the 200L II has disappeared

Yeah, it just wasn't the 200 f2.0 L, and I miss that lens SO much... The 35 is too awesome though :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 07:46:01 AM »

chromophore

• EOS M5
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 11:21:48 AM »
You have a few options:

Least risky option:  Send it in to Canon to have them replace the exterior components.  This will cost money, but not a prohibitive amount.

More risky option:  Use a solvent to dissolve the coating, and live without it.  I don't recommend this due to the danger of fluids entering the lens through crevices in the barrel.

You cannot reverse this type of damage.  It is caused by contact with oils or metals or atmosphere that break down the coating; it is permanent, and it will spread over time.  What you should be concerned about is the question of how it started to decay:  how are you storing and cleaning the lens?  Did it come into contact with something that might cause this phenomenon?  What are the environmental conditions of its use?

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 12:07:21 PM »

...  can it be restored...or better yet would canon consider this a defective material issue and ..can it be re-applied  by them...?  if they can replace/repair  is it expensive ...if they wont cover it...

the lens is dead-on accurate .... just the finish on the rubber makes it... lower value...I suppose
thanks for advice.....

Are you talking the rubber focus ring?  I don't think that there is any other rubber.

The rubber rings are just a rubber band that will stretch to attach and detach.  Ask Canon for a replacement, or buy one, they are cheap.

chromophore

• EOS M5
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »

thanks for advice.....

Are you talking the rubber focus ring?  I don't think that there is any other rubber.

The rubber rings are just a rubber band that will stretch to attach and detach.  Ask Canon for a replacement, or buy one, they are cheap.

Sadly, no.  The exterior barrel of the EF 85/1.2L II is treated with a special rubberized finish to improve grip, because it is a fat, heavy, and round lens.  It isn't found in most other EF lenses--in fact, I can't think of any other lenses in production that have it.

J.R.

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 12:41:36 PM »

thanks for advice.....

Sadly, no.  The exterior barrel of the EF 85/1.2L II is treated with a special rubberized finish to improve grip, because it is a fat, heavy, and round lens.  It isn't found in most other EF lenses--in fact, I can't think of any other lenses in production that have it.

Amazing. I never noticed that even after using the 85L II for the past few years. I had to take a very close look at the lens to realise that there is indeed some rubber compound added to the barrel.

I agree with your earlier post. If the rubber is starting to decompose, the only solution is to send it out to Canon.
I took a hiatus from CR for a year and a half. The discussions haven't changed much. Excellent information is still being shared while people bitching about Canon cameras are still bitching and haven't moved on to Sony

Viggo

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 12:43:02 PM »
That's correct, can only think of one that might have the same coating, the 50 f1.0 L.

J.R.

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 12:47:37 PM »
I just did a quick search on the internet and the part in question is CY3-2154-000 and is available from Canon for (admittedly) $27.

You can also buy it for $50 from eBay. Here's the link  -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-85mm-F-1-2-II-Main-Cover-Housing-Assy-Replacement-Part-CY3-2154-000-/111612070699

Hope this helps

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 12:47:37 PM »

TommyLee

• EOS 80D
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 10:26:46 PM »
thanks everyone ... and J.R. nominated for saint hood... if I even try it my self.
I MAY send to canon.....

a thought ...for tomorrow....

people here are so helpful..
thanks a lot...

RunAndGun

• EOS M5
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 01:25:32 AM »
It's possible that whatever the coating/compound is, it's related to a special "protein paint*" that they used to coat their lens grips with on their handheld(ENG) TV lenses. I had it eventually start to breakdown down and come off of my old lens on my first Betacam. Really nasty when it does start to finally come off.  I haven't noticed anything like that on my 85, though. Of course, the time that my old eng lens spent in my hand far outweighs the time the 85, and all of my still lenses combined, by many orders of magnitude.

*Canon sales literature stated that it was "Specially developed protein paint exclusively engineered to absorb moisture while enhancing the feel of the lens."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 01:25:32 AM »