October 21, 2014, 03:13:45 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?  (Read 72134 times)

pumpkin

Re: *UPDATE* 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #375 on: January 24, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »
As a sportsshooter, I must say that if the RATE button and the button above it is what a think they are. Those two buttons really scream sportsphotography workflow.

My guess is that the RATE button replaces the LOCK button find on the 1D series. By pushing the button once you will lock the picture and giving it a 1 star rating, by pushing the button again (on the same image) you will give it a 2 star rating and so on.

The button above is probably an "in- camera" crop button or image edit button.

Both these buttons would really benefit workflow for sportsphotographers.

The lock button on the 1D series is often used to do a first rough selection "in-camera" You then choose to only download the selected (locked) images from the CF card to the computer. By doing this you save time and speed up workflow.
A rate button would give me a chance to do a more narrow selection in camera. In game action portraits of players would , for example get a one star rating, while more time critical images of goal celebration, injuries would get a higher rating

A crop button would let me crop pictures in the camera while the game play is away from me, that way a don´t need to do it in the computer which saves me time. Also a very
good feature if shooting live.

What really puzzles me is that if this new camera is a high megapixel/low speed camera aimed more at studio / Landscape, why prioritize these two buttons? Or do other non-sportphotographers also benefit and se these buttons as a useful workflow feature?

Very interesting considerations.

I can imagine that rating within the camera could be interesting for other photographers too, who haven't a notebook by their side. Maybe because they have time to do that work during their shooting and saveing time at home.

The sign on the button above the RATE-button might also be a brush, so it could be a button for photostyles an color setting or something like that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:19:49 PM by pumpkin »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #375 on: January 24, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »

Picsfor

« Reply #376 on: January 24, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »
Blimey - 26 pages! And counting till the next rumour/ sighting/ announcement

If Canon are watching, they're getting a rough idea of how many 5D3/X's to produce judging by this lot.

All we need now is a picture of a cmaera with 3DX on it, taken by a 36mp Nikon D800 and we've covered all apsects of this sighting  ;)

vivial6

« Reply #377 on: January 24, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »
As a sportsshooter, I must say that if the RATE button and the button above it is what a think they are. Those two buttons really scream sportsphotography workflow.

My guess is that the RATE button replaces the LOCK button find on the 1D series. By pushing the button once you will lock the picture and giving it a 1 star rating, by pushing the button again (on the same image) you will give it a 2 star rating and so on.

The button above is probably an "in- camera" crop button or image edit button.

Both these buttons would really benefit workflow for sportsphotographers.

The lock button on the 1D series is often used to do a first rough selection "in-camera" You then choose to only download the selected (locked) images from the CF card to the computer. By doing this you save time and speed up workflow.
A rate button would give me a chance to do a more narrow selection in camera. In game action portraits of players would , for example get a one star rating, while more time critical images of goal celebration, injuries would get a higher rating

A crop button would let me crop pictures in the camera while the game play is away from me, that way a don´t need to do it in the computer which saves me time. Also a very
good feature if shooting live.

What really puzzles me is that if this new camera is a high megapixel/low speed camera aimed more at studio / Landscape, why prioritize these two buttons? Or do other non-sportphotographers also benefit and se these buttons as a useful workflow feature?

Very interesting considerations.

I can imagine that rating within the camera could be interesting for other photographers too, who haven't a notebook by their side. Maybe because they have time to do that work during their shooting and saveing time at home.

The sign on the button above the RATE-button might also be a brush, so it could be a button for photostyles an color setting or something like that.

You are probably right.
It is a brush and not a cutting "penknife", I was not sure at first. That will however be even better from a workflow perspective, because you are probably going to be able to crop and to change whitebalance, exposure, noicereduction, color... on RAW images and then be able to save to jpg. I know the 1D X will atleast have that feature.

tt

« Reply #378 on: January 24, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »
Pretty good point - doesn't a RATE button point more towards a 7Desque sports/action model, than a 5D Mark III?

Yes, you can reprogram what the button does, but why would they make a dedicated, named button if it wasn't for people who're needing to rate pictures.

Would a wedding photographer or landscape photographer be using this as much as a sports photographer skimming through pictures reviewing what's come from a series of burst shoots, or such?
Opposing argument - why isn't it on the 1DX?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:18:40 PM by tt »

mjbehnke

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 24, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »
Maybe the Rate Button is for changing the FPS rate? FF rate = slow, Aps-h = Fast, than Aps-c = High Speed. Might as well throw that out there. You never know what Canon is up too.

That's my III cents worth.
Gripped Canon 60D \ EF-S 15-85 F3.5-5.6 IS USM \ EF 70-200 F4L IS USM \ 430ex II Speedlite \ Love for photography.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #380 on: January 24, 2012, 06:40:32 PM »
Pretty good point - doesn't a RATE button point more towards a 7Desque sports/action model, than a 5D Mark III?

Yes, you can reprogram what the button does, but why would they make a dedicated, named button if it wasn't for people who're needing to rate pictures.

Would a wedding photographer or landscape photographer be using this as much as a sports photographer skimming through pictures reviewing what's come from a series of burst shoots, or such?
The 7D was released with the Q button, but a few months later the 1D MkIV was released without it, so it wouldn't be the first time that a feature was tried out on a lower spec camera to see how things panned out. The Q button is now of course on the 1D-X.
On the subject of the rate button, I can't see a reason why I would want it as a landscape photographer, but when I'm shooting wildlife it may be handy in the lull periods, although I might be worried about missing something while I'm fiddling.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 24, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »

I theory it would be good for wedding photogs however weddings are non stop and flat out, there is NO time to stuff around trying to rate pics in camera. bit of a redundant gimmick IMO but if you can assign it to some custom function that would be good
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #381 on: January 24, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »

doug13

« Reply #382 on: January 24, 2012, 07:09:03 PM »
Sure it will have the Digic 5, even the PowerShot G1X will have one.

stu_cj

« Reply #383 on: January 24, 2012, 07:14:23 PM »
Maybe when you press "rate" then how much you can charge per hour goes up !  ;D
I'd guess it's a Frame Rate / quality thing for video (hey I'm not an expert on such stuff) rather than "how much do I like that photo I just took" kind of thing.
It does look very convincing as a real production ready camera though rather than a prototype.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 24, 2012, 07:47:10 PM »
I'd guess it's a Frame Rate / quality thing for video (hey I'm not an expert on such stuff) rather than "how much do I like that photo I just took" kind of thing.

I thought frame rate at first, too, but someone pointed out that the buttor was labeled in blue, and those functions are associated with playback as opposed to capture (both for buttons and LCD menus).  So it does seem that a photo quality rating option is most likely.  Useful?  Not to me - I'd rather have MLU, RAW+JPG, ETPH (E.T. Phone Home, if you were wondering), or some sort of useful button like that.  Consider - if it is image rating, will RAW converters other than DPP will recognize the metadata tags, or will Canon try to prevent that?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ryusui

« Reply #385 on: January 24, 2012, 08:12:14 PM »
Consider - if it is image rating, will RAW converters other than DPP will recognize the metadata tags, or will Canon try to prevent that?
I think it would be galactically stupid of them to actually do that, considering how many photographers use software other than, or in tandem with DPP.
Personally, I wouldn't care as I don't use rating systems in any of my software...but for those who do or would, isolating them to using only DPP wouldn't be a very smart business decision, PR-wise.  There's also no incentive to do so since DPP comes free with the camera, so it's not as if they'd be losing sales by having the metadata unrestricted.

aRodriguezPixL

« Reply #386 on: January 24, 2012, 08:27:54 PM »
is it going to have built in wireless to send photos pomptly?

tooslick2k

Re: 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #387 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:39 PM »
Anyone else noticing the dual cards on the 5D III / 7D II?  Exciting!

Looks like it's a new dual card icon that looks somewhat different to the dual CF-CF icon on the vertical grip LCD on 1D X and the dual CF-SD icon on 1D IV.  This new icon on the top LCD looks quite like...........  the new XQD!?   ::) ::) ::)

Note the new dual-card icon looks matching the slimmer rectangular shape of XQD...

Also note that the top LCDs on both 1D X and 1D IV do not have the dual card icon though.

After reading the last 6 pages that appeared since i been on, Has anyone else noticed that the 'dual card' symbol that appears on the LCD is also the same symbol in Blue that is under the Menu button? Im guessing that it doesnt have dual cards now. If it did why would it be paired with a direct print icon?

canon rumors FORUM

Re: 5D Mark III Sighting?
« Reply #387 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:39 PM »

Mr.Magic

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5DmkIII baby!
    • View Profile
    • Photography Dennis Hens
« Reply #388 on: January 25, 2012, 06:27:50 AM »
- No pop-up flash -> FF
- Dual card slot -> high end camera
- New designed buttons -> they received good comments from 7D users
- 16:9 screen -> video oriented
- rate button -> video oriented could be 24 fps, 30, 60 etc (blue buttons might mean 'not taking pictures', so it could mean like we all know it's 'playback mode', or possible 'video mode' as well. It might also be for photography then if the shooter might want to take a picture, then it would be the choice between e.g. 3fps, 5 fps, 7 fps
- the guy was on safari with already announced/assumed to be announced gear (1Dx, 200-400), so they also gave him the video DSLR prototype, to test video, but also to check the photo capabilities. This makes me think this isn't a prototype tester, but a 'soon to be announced' - product tester

My guess: this is the high end video oriented DSLR

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:55:48 AM by Mr.Magic »
5DIII | 24-70mm f2.8 L USM | 70-200 f4 L IS USM | 580EXII | 50mm f1.8

Noink Fanb0i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 25, 2012, 06:37:40 AM »
Three interesting icons at the back: topleft button: combined in-cam editing(?) + rectangular window/dual-card thingie + direct print button; button below it: RATE in blue. As has been mentioned before, if it's in blue, it's a playback mode button, maybe it's programmable in shooting mode.
T3 is the bobn2 of Canon fanb0is.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #389 on: January 25, 2012, 06:37:40 AM »