October 02, 2014, 08:36:13 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* New High-End DSLR Later in February [CR3]  (Read 25691 times)

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: *UPDATE* New High-End DSLR Later in February [CR3]
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »
I really hope for two more ff's  :D
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »

cfargo

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2012, 11:50:22 AM »
I just called Canon USA and they know nothing about UK's "priority purchase for CPS Platinum members". So as of this minute it isn't being offered here. But that could change.  :)

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
I just got a rumor from a Chinese photo forum, there will be a New Model(not an upgrade model from current one)to be announced in March, it just said it will sit between 5d and 1d! And the specs are great(it didn't mention the details), but the price will be much more expensive than the 5d mark ii!

I dont know how reliable the source is!

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
Agree on how poorly phrased this rumor is.

I still don't understand how a 22mpx full frame camera from Canon is expected to compete with a 36mpx camera from Nikon... Different leagues in terms of resolution. Also, with Nikon strongly rumored to be offering a camera without an AA filter it will distance itself from the new Canon entry even more so.

I suspect that unless you are into seriously large prints or big crops you wont see any benefit from the extra mps. However you would see the benefit of an extra 2 stop of DR

Monitors and other output devices will not stay the same. These devices (printers, beamers, montiors, tv, ...) will also have a higher resolution. You can already buy 4K monitors with about 4000px resolution.

You should keep it in your mind when you are taking photos for the future. You will not be limited by output devices. So think about the limitations of the input...

+1 good point. 

In film days few printed above 8x10" (certainly for 35mm), now that's considered small.  One area where I think that digital lags behind film is in the projection of images onto a large screen.  It isn't the cameras, it is the fact that all but the most expensive projectors max out at 1080p (i.e. 1920 x 1080), this isn't even close to what a good 35mm slide projector can do. 

One does have to balance this against what current technology is capable of, as well as those pesky laws of physics.  It is doubtful for instance that Sony's new 18MP Cybershots will resolve anything like their stated resolution even at base ISO, because of diffraction effects. 

There is a limit to what even full frame 35mm sensors will be able to resolve, but I don't think that the current generation are there yet (a 36MP D800 may well be getting close).  What is certain is that to make the most out of these high megapixel cameras will require shooting discipline and for landscape photographers, the use of more exotic lenses like tilt-shifts to overcome diffraction whilst maintaining depth of field. 

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »
Agree on how poorly phrased this rumor is.

I still don't understand how a 22mpx full frame camera from Canon is expected to compete with a 36mpx camera from Nikon... Different leagues in terms of resolution. Also, with Nikon strongly rumored to be offering a camera without an AA filter it will distance itself from the new Canon entry even more so.

I suspect that unless you are into seriously large prints or big crops you wont see any benefit from the extra mps. However you would see the benefit of an extra 2 stop of DR

I suspect that 36MP vs 18MP would make about zero difference for low ISO DR and thus it is silly for either camp to argue against the other.

+1

Having different models with different features is good.  If all cameras were alike with the same features, it would be boring.

Emeyerphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Erik Meyer Photography
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »
I am thinking the "leak" of the photo that we all questioned will be the announcement.  With the news that the president of Canon resigned due to slumping sales/Tsunami, I would think they would want to gain some momentum heading into the summer of this year when people seem to be looser with their wallets.  They know that people are holding onto their wallets for the new 5d mkiii or the possibly the Eos 3? So, logic would dictate in order to recapture that lost revenue they would announce cameras very soon. 

Hopefully it is an Eos 3 and it is a high-end stills only camera, whereas the 1 series has merged with their video. Just my 2 cents.
5d Mk2, Canon 40d (backup), 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
I just called Canon USA and they know nothing about UK's "priority purchase for CPS Platinum members". So as of this minute it isn't being offered here. But that could change.  :)

Did you call the CPS hotline or just Canon USA support? 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »

AdamJ

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2012, 03:33:31 PM »
I love rumors, but this one isn't very rumor-like.  It's just saying that nothing is happening on the 7th.  You can release one of these for about 360 days each year.

+1.

Let's look at this. We are told that a 5DIII won't be announced on 7 February, as had been rumoured, and we are told that a high-end DSLR will be announced later in February. Call me crazy but something tells me that a 5DIII will be announced later in February.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:39:20 PM by AdamJ »

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
I just got a rumor from a Chinese photo forum, there will be a New Model(not an upgrade model from current one)to be announced in March, it just said it will sit between 5d and 1d! And the specs are great(it didn't mention the details), but the price will be much more expensive than the 5d mark ii!

I dont know how reliable the source is!
ah the much rumoured and expected 3D  ::) that's not a new rumor  >:(
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »
I am thinking the "leak" of the photo that we all questioned will be the announcement.  With the news that the president of Canon resigned due to slumping sales/Tsunami, I would think they would want to gain some momentum heading into the summer of this year when people seem to be looser with their wallets.  They know that people are holding onto their wallets for the new 5d mkiii or the possibly the Eos 3? So, logic would dictate in order to recapture that lost revenue they would announce cameras very soon. 

Hopefully it is an Eos 3 and it is a high-end stills only camera, whereas the 1 series has merged with their video. Just my 2 cents.

After the success of the 5D Mark II, there will never again be a new DSLR introduced without video.

chabotc

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Google+
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Does anyone have any info on if CPS platinum members have been invited to the mentioned priority purchase? I called CPS membership services and they had no information on such a thing going on
Canon 5D Mark III and a big bag of primes

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »
Does anyone have any info on if CPS platinum members have been invited to the mentioned priority purchase? I called CPS membership services and they had no information on such a thing going on
Judging by the comments in this thread, it appears to be only in certain countries.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2012, 05:53:33 PM »
It heard it would be CPS members first, but nothing from the norwegian dealers about it either.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2012, 05:53:33 PM »

tt

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
Is it wrong to guess that some of the UK member's might have had a decent chance of an invitation, due to the Olympics?

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »
Is it wrong to guess that some of the UK member's might have had a decent chance of an invitation, due to the Olympics?
It's probably a pretty good guess, as there will probably be more UK-based photographers there and Canon will want as many of their new flagship cameras as possible on show I would think. A similar guess could apply for Euro 2012, where Canon are the official imaging sponsor.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »