April 23, 2014, 12:46:09 PM

Author Topic: Can someone debunk this Peter Lik picture... PLEASE!!!  (Read 49804 times)

CowGummy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone debunk this Peter Lik picture... PLEASE!!!
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »
I just read his biography, and holy smokes, he's made some serious cash including a single sale at $1,000,000:

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/01/13/australian-landscape-photographer-peter-lik-sells-photo-for-1-million/

Yeah, and here's his backstory for that winning snap:

I will never forget this morning for the rest of my life. It was calm, and the scent of the fall forest filled my lungs. The mist cleared, and a magical reflection in the river briefly appeared. White birch trees, black trunks, a kaleidoscope of foliage combining to reveal an illusion of three dimensions. I pressed the shutter – once – and then the scene vanished with the morning breeze, never to be seen again.

In the light of recent discussions, I wonder whether the above actually translates to:

It was a cold morning and my head was banging after a night on the whisky with my mate. I sparked up a fag and fired up the computer to see whether I could coax a usable image out of anything from my last nature shoot. Bleary-eyed, I went into Photoshop, feeling about as inspired as a science student in a double-R.E. lesson on a wet winter Wednesday....

:)

LOL! Cracked me up... Yeah, he does make it sound a bit like he was tripping on a particularly stale mushroom  that particular morning...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »

Astro

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2012, 08:28:35 AM »
LOL! Cracked me up... Yeah, he does make it sound a bit like he was tripping on a particularly stale mushroom  that particular morning...

more like every morning and every evening....

nubu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2012, 08:34:11 AM »
Hi!

This photo is a collage for the following reasons:
1) The moon (one day after full moon) rises with the dark (not illuminated) side up also the most brilliant, rayed crater (Tycho) on the moon should be more towards the right. This leads to the clear conclusion that the picture of the moon was made when it was high in the sky and NOT on the horizon.
2) The nearly full moon is situated opposite to the sun direction. One does not see dawning or dusky horizons near to it but in exactly the opposite direction close to the sun.
3) The star field is several magnitudes weaker than the faint(!) part of the moon. It is impossible to capture this in a single exposure.
4) The starfield including the horizon seems to be taken at a much shorter focal lengths. I could not identify the constellations but one gets the impression that it includes some starclouds of the milky way. This would force the full moon being observed around december or June/July. During these months the (full) moon does not rise at 6:50pm.

If I would invest more time one could maybe find more weak points....

Franz (professional Astronomer and amateur photographer)
5DII/III,7D,400D,m|EF14/2.8LII,EF24/1.4LII,EF35/1.4L,EF40/2.8,EF50/1.4,MPE65/2.8,EF85/1.2L,EF100/2.8LIS,EF135/2L,EF200/2.8L,EF300/2.8LIS,EF500/4LIS,Zeiss500/8,EF1.4xIII,EF2xIII,EF8-15/4L,EFS17-55/2.8IS,EFS18-55/3.5-IS,EF24-105/4,allEFM

zim

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2012, 09:03:29 AM »
I just read his biography, and holy smokes, he's made some serious cash including a single sale at $1,000,000:

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/01/13/australian-landscape-photographer-peter-lik-sells-photo-for-1-million/

Yeah, and here's his backstory for that winning snap:

I will never forget this morning for the rest of my life. It was calm, and the scent of the fall forest filled my lungs. The mist cleared, and a magical reflection in the river briefly appeared. White birch trees, black trunks, a kaleidoscope of foliage combining to reveal an illusion of three dimensions. I pressed the shutter – once – and then the scene vanished with the morning breeze, never to be seen again.

In the light of recent discussions, I wonder whether the above actually translates to:

It was a cold morning and my head was banging after a night on the whisky with my mate. I sparked up a fag and fired up the computer to see whether I could coax a usable image out of anything from my last nature shoot. Bleary-eyed, I went into Photoshop, feeling about as inspired as a science student in a double-R.E. lesson on a wet winter Wednesday....

:)

LOL - but you also hit the nail on the head, it’s not the picture that is the issue I mean who hasn’t photoshop’d a photo by adding or removing detail. It’s the narrative that is so cringing which to me reflects on the photographers personality badly. Having said that I couldn’t have this pic on the wall the skyline would annoy the hell out of me.

triggermike

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
    • mike fossler photography
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2012, 09:07:08 AM »
Hey Franz, is the position/orientation of the moon consistent with what one would see in Australia?

nubu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2012, 09:19:41 AM »
No, its northern hemisphere but only when the moon is high in the south direction and that is as we all know not the direction where the moon rises or sets. (Sorry close to the north pole this would be possible) ;DDD
5DII/III,7D,400D,m|EF14/2.8LII,EF24/1.4LII,EF35/1.4L,EF40/2.8,EF50/1.4,MPE65/2.8,EF85/1.2L,EF100/2.8LIS,EF135/2L,EF200/2.8L,EF300/2.8LIS,EF500/4LIS,Zeiss500/8,EF1.4xIII,EF2xIII,EF8-15/4L,EFS17-55/2.8IS,EFS18-55/3.5-IS,EF24-105/4,allEFM

Gothmoth

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Hey Franz, is the position/orientation of the moon consistent with what one would see in Australia?

it´s photographed in utah anayway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »

Mooose

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »

it´s photographed in utah anayway.

The landscape is allegedly from Utah but given its a double exposure and the moon doesn't orient with the scene the moon could have been taken anywhere.
Canon 7d, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 100mm f2.8 macro, 70-200mm f4L IS , 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS, 10-22mm f3.5-4.5

nubu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2012, 09:30:06 AM »
That is what he states but we have no proof. When I checked  for my text above I found 37 deg north for his stated photo site. That seems to be consitent with the moon picture (but not on the horizon but high up towards south as I argued). I think we all have no problems with artistic pictures and techniques but with epic picture stories that dont stand simple checks... That's simply fooling customers (and us)....

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2012, 09:35:43 AM »
The landscape is allegedly from Utah but given its a double exposure and the moon doesn't orient with the scene the moon could have been taken anywhere.

i think we should really stop to use "double exposure" in that context.
i know many have never shot film here but it sounds wrong to most who have.
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2012, 10:18:21 AM »
As something to look at, I like it. But, at the same time, it seems overdone. Too much.

The "story" does not help. It sounds cheesy.

One thing is for certain, he is doing much better than me in the selling pictures department :) More power to him.

Sunnystate

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2012, 10:28:58 AM »
What happened to the old good definition of "kitsch"?

The only thing missing there is a silhouette of two deers making mating call, or maybe a kissing swans...
Why standards in popular art are deteriorating so fast in recent years? We are talking about million dollars sales!
To produce this by person with minimum taste would most certainly cause a rush of blood and high heart beat if not extreme palpitations!

As something to look at, I like it. But, at the same time, it seems overdone. Too much.

The "story" does not help. It sounds cheesy.

One thing is for certain, he is doing much better than me in the selling pictures department :) More power to him.

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
I wouldn't call the image "poor taste" or kitschy... but, in my opinion, if it wasn't so processed (for lack of a better term), it would look better.

I'm no expert in taking pictures, but even I can quickly see that there is no way that the image is just one shot. The moon would blow out the stars.

I think the backstory on the webpage takes away from the image. It leads to questions. Just give it a title and a price.

One thing is for sure, he is getting lots of free publicity here :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »
... I can quickly see that there is no way that the image is just one shot. The moon would blow out the stars.

Yup.

My attempt at this sort of thing.  Moon rolling down the mountain!

CowGummy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
... I can quickly see that there is no way that the image is just one shot. The moon would blow out the stars.

Yup.

My attempt at this sort of thing.  Moon rolling down the mountain!

Awesome! Great idea and very nicely executed - love it!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »