December 16, 2017, 09:40:34 PM

Author Topic: 1DX Mark II - getting the most out of the camera, tips and tricks  (Read 25620 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: 1DX Mark II - getting the most out of the camera, tips and tricks
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 10:44:12 AM »
I know the selected Mode is Manual but when are they going to change that to ISO, or something that actually reflects what is going on. M Mode with Auto ISO is not Manual because it is still relying on the camera setting the exposure, hence the need for exposure compensation.

It would be much less confusing making a new Mode to join Av and Tv (and P, M etc) and just call it ISO or something.

I teach and mentor photography and regularly have to point out to people who think they are in manual exposure because they have M Mode selected with Auto ISO on that they are actually in an auto mode!
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 10:44:12 AM »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »
I know the selected Mode is Manual but when are they going to change that to ISO, or something that actually reflects what is going on. M Mode with Auto ISO is not Manual because it is still relying on the camera setting the exposure, hence the need for exposure compensation.

It would be much less confusing making a new Mode to join Av and Tv (and P, M etc) and just call it ISO or something.

I teach and mentor photography and regularly have to point out to people who think they are in manual exposure because they have M Mode selected with Auto ISO on that they are actually in an auto mode!

+1. It's not manual at all !

arthurbikemad

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »
Think all here know its not full M if you have auto ISO selected (I like that Canon give the user the option to set ISO in any mode, i.e Auto/Set, it's easy to tell if your in auto ISO  ;)), however there are times that auto ISO and Exp comp in M mode are handy. I mention it as unless the button is configured it can not be selected/changed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:08:39 AM by arthurbikemad »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 11:11:55 AM »
Think all here know its not full M if you have auto ISO selected, however there are times that auto ISO and Exp comp in M mode are handy. I mention it as unless the button is configured it can not be selected/changed.
Not if you read back in the forums they don't.

I am not saying it isn't a great feature, just that selecting it via M Mode is not intuitive. I use Auto ISO in my EOS-M in Av and it is fantastic, but in that situation it is doing a very narrow and specific task, it is taking focal length information and keeping shutter speed above reasonable hand holdable levels, combine that with a limited ISO range so you never get noise levels you won't accept and the feature is very strong.

But using Auto ISO in M Mode is not M Mode, it is an Auto Mode and I think would be more intuitive if it was labeled differently.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

arthurbikemad

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »
Think all here know its not full M if you have auto ISO selected, however there are times that auto ISO and Exp comp in M mode are handy. I mention it as unless the button is configured it can not be selected/changed.

I am not saying it isn't a great feature, just that selecting it via M Mode is not intuitive. I use Auto ISO in my EOS-M in Av and it is fantastic, but in that situation it is doing a very narrow and specific task, it is taking focal length information and keeping shutter speed above reasonable hand holdable levels, combine that with a limited ISO range so you never get noise levels you won't accept and the feature is very strong.

But using Auto ISO in M Mode is not M Mode, it is an Auto Mode and I think would be more intuitive if it was labeled differently.

I agree with what your saying, guess I see how some could be confused.  :)

Jack Douglas

• http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 11:56:49 AM »
Thanks Eldar.  It's so bad that I shot a BIF and it should hjave been in focus but wasn't - I couldn't get out of one-shot even though I thought I had the BB configured like my 6D.  I've liked having one-shot as default when AF-ON is released, assuming that's actually "one-shot".  I would like a quick way to move AF around and also change configurations if possible with one button push.  I know, I'm pushing too hard initially and just getting confused.

Jack
If you change to be in AF Servo, as default, and use the BB as toggle to One Shot, you'll have an easier life with things that move.

For moving AF points, press the top right button, to activate selected AF points and use the joy stick to move it around.

Thanks Eldar.  That's exactly what I did with the 6D but I'm confused about "toggle".  I perceive that with the 6D as just stated that what was happening was this.  I press the AF-ON and I get AF servo; great.  I release and focus ceases but the camera understands that I may have fixed the focus where I wanted it and allows me to shoot thereafter.  I'm happy but is this different from toggling between servo and one-shot.  With the 1DX II I assigned the option of toggle to AF_ON and it didn't seem to be behaving like my 6D was.

Again with the 6D I moved focus points as you describe except it has a different kind of "joystick", but that is two step so I'm wondering if a single operation is possible - will try today since I think I have the joystick assigned to moving the AF point directly.  Now will that conflict with some other useful assignment I don't know.

In all of this my problem is that I can't always understand what is supposed to happen, correctly and so get thrown by the result I get and sometimes I am challenged to remedy what I've inadvertently set up.

And probably repeating myself here, I want to be able to change to a mode that has the best AF setup for BIF, quickly, with the most efficient button usage and perhaps have the choice of just one or two modes of focus operation while shooting BIF (could clear sky shooting benefit from settings different than foliage background, for instance.

BTW this is a reply to Eldar without having read further in the thread, which I'm doing now (guess I should have read all first) but I had my my thoughts focused.

Jack
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:59:02 AM by Jack Douglas »
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

Jack Douglas

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »

Scott, it's your English childhood schooling that makes you focus on exactness or correctness, while others really don't get into that.  I'm just like you except that often I'm so clueless about something I can't tell if it's correct or not, especially in photography. 

I have to laugh.  I'd be in a group reviewing an exam that someone had created and pointing out that the wording was misleading and that students would answer all over the map.  The response I typically got was that I was too picky and a refusal to reword.  Then, after, having to mark this "common" exam, there it was - students answering correctly but being mislead by the instructor's ambiguity and me having to mark all kinds of incorrect answers as correct and wasting all kinds of time. >:( ;D

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »

Jack Douglas

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »
Guess I can't do my AFMA; it's snowing and wet and cold and dull, unless it's feasible to target shoot inside with limited space - don't think that would be productive. :'(

Jack

Eldar

• Flickr
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 02:23:53 PM »

Scott, it's your English childhood schooling that makes you focus on exactness or correctness, while others really don't get into that.  I'm just like you except that often I'm so clueless about something I can't tell if it's correct or not, especially in photography. 

I have to laugh.  I'd be in a group reviewing an exam that someone had created and pointing out that the wording was misleading and that students would answer all over the map.  The response I typically got was that I was too picky and a refusal to reword.  Then, after, having to mark this "common" exam, there it was - students answering correctly but being mislead by the instructor's ambiguity and me having to mark all kinds of incorrect answers as correct and wasting all kinds of time. >:( ;D

Jack
We have three things to play with aperture, shutter speed and ISO. You can play with them in P, Tv, Av and M mode. I am happy to rename M to Maximum mode, if that helps. The thing is, that when you shoot birds and wildlife and you cannot direct what you shoot, M-mode, usually referred to as Manual mode, with auto ISO is very handy. However, I need to do exposure compensation, since the ISO is auto, but that is cumbersome and time consuming. So very often I go to Manual mode and do the exposure compensation manually by changing ISO manually. I hope that was clarifying.
More equipment than skills, but everything is used :)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/eldarhauge/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eldarhaugephotography

Jack Douglas

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 03:26:02 PM »
Eldar, I think it was well understood already and I hope to hear a solution to your request on exposure compensation. 

Engineers may be technically good but totally miss the boat on ergonomics and that seems to be a problem with all the manufacturers.  Then there is the issue of once you commit to something and it turns out to not have been the best choice it may not be practical to change since people get used to it and don't want change.

I see this in the 1D, 5D lines after having used the 6D in, for example, the ease with which the 6D handles one handed image review and deletion with the alternate "joystick" arrangement.  Put that on the other series and the screaming begins.

It seems Canon needs to give more flexibility to button option assignment.

Jack

Eldar

• Flickr
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 03:55:37 PM »
Eldar, I think it was well understood already and I hope to hear a solution to your request on exposure compensation. 

Engineers may be technically good but totally miss the boat on ergonomics and that seems to be a problem with all the manufacturers.  Then there is the issue of once you commit to something and it turns out to not have been the best choice it may not be practical to change since people get used to it and don't want change.

I see this in the 1D, 5D lines after having used the 6D in, for example, the ease with which the 6D handles one handed image review and deletion with the alternate "joystick" arrangement.  Put that on the other series and the screaming begins.

It seems Canon needs to give more flexibility to button option assignment.

Jack
All I need is a firmware upgrade, where I can push the Q-button, with the menu set to EC, adjust EC up and down and see what I am doing in the viewfinder. That is, as far as I know, not possible in any way today. To me that is a serious limitation to the auto ISO functionality. I never use auto ISO in any other mode.

arthurbikemad

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 04:05:19 PM »
If you mean EC in M mode on 1DX2 you can set the centre button to do just that, but you have to hold the button and turn the scroll wheel at the same time to set EC, EC is shown on the lower display and exposure on the right, there is another option where the same button can be assigned for ISO, then holding the same as before scrolls the ISO up and down, even scrolls back to Auto unlike on some other bodies where oddly you can not scroll back to Auto, it has to be set with the ISO button.

Perhaps I have miss understood. haha..  :-X

Jack Douglas

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »
That does sound like a very easy thing for Canon to do.  Is there a way to bring such suggestions to Canon's attention - I've heard about this from other sources so it's a common need.

Arthur, by center do you mean "set"?

Jack

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »

arthurbikemad

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 04:10:21 PM »
Yes sorry, set. :)

Eldar

• Flickr
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 04:17:23 PM »
Thanks, I´ll be happy to try that when I get the camera back from repair. If that works I am a happy man :)

My camera actually fell off the lens, while I was carrying it and hit the rock I was walking on, so now I suddenly found something to waste $2k on, unless Canon agrees that it was caused by a faulty locking mechanism in the lens mount and agree that it is a warranty repair. Jury is still out, so fingers crossed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 04:17:23 PM »