July 23, 2014, 08:35:12 PM

Author Topic: Canon 7D for studio work  (Read 14022 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: Canon 7D for studio work
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »
Apparently, someone forgot to tell Canon that the 7D isn't suitable for studio work.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/08/7d-studio-version-official/

For the work you describe and for the needs you have, the 7D is fine. If you are using a 40D and it works for you, you will only gain, not lose, with the 7D.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »

Mindfields

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 10:14:07 AM »
As someone who has used a 7D in the studio often, it works great. It's sharp with all of my "L" lenses and at low iso's is perfectly acceptable, and not bad through 1600. But honestly I really only shoot at 100 iso in a studio setting.  There are plenty of folks that claim to have had or heard of a " rotten" 7D. Personally I know quite a few photographers that are using them in the studio and love them. One caveat is the 1.6 crop. In a small studio with a long lens you will have some issues depending on your intended crop.

Good luck on your decision.

jayvo86

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 10:17:10 AM »
I'm not going to tell you what to get; I'm just going to share my experiences.

I shot with a 60D for about a year. It was a nice general purpose camera that didn't excel in anyone area. (Same sensor as 7D.)

However, when I started shooting stock...it didn't cut it. Having said that, It was ok with highlights and detail...it was just the shadows can get a little bit noisy.

I opted to buy and older 5D "classic," which solved all of my noise problems.

Some of my photos have a little bit more processing that others; the noise really seemed to creep up with the 60D. However, I can work and image pretty hard before I run into problems with the 5D.

Maybe it would be wise to look at a used 1DmkIII if you need a fast action camera and look into FF for the studio.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
Apparently, someone forgot to tell Canon that the 7D isn't suitable for studio work.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/08/7d-studio-version-official/

+1 - would have posted this but you got there first.  :D

Agree that if you have control over the lighting and can ensure there's enough of it, the 7D does a great job.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 10:30:30 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out unfocused  =)  Basically everyone has different opinions and expectations.  If you're shooting portraits, odds are you printing, odds are it will excell in file output.  If you're shooting for clients, such as food (restaurants-website and print on menu), products (some catalog and or ecommerce web), etc.... the camera will appease 99% of your clients...  Heck, most clients usually do not have a trained enough eye to look for noise let alone know what noise is.  If you are unsure how this camera will meet YOUR expectations, see if you can borrow it, rent it, shoot a few frames at a camera store.....  Try it out before you buy if in doubt as only you know what your line is in the sand and if this will be sufficient or not.  But, as a prior person posted, if you're happy with the 40D files, the 7D will only impress you, not detract you.  If you're not happy with the 40D files... look at the 5d2
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

smirkypants

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 11:01:02 AM »
An honest question... Can somebody explain to me how the 60D will differ from the 7D in the studio? I thought the major differences were in terms of AF, weather sealing and shooting speed. If one were doing studio work, wouldn't they in practice be identical?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »
An honest question... Can somebody explain to me how the 60D will differ from the 7D in the studio? I thought the major differences were in terms of AF, weather sealing and shooting speed. If one were doing studio work, wouldn't they in practice be identical?

In practice, the 60D might actually be better, or at least, more convenient to use, thanks to the articulating screen.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »

In practice, as far as image quality is concerned, they should be near identical...  Just keep in mind his experience and expectations of files may or may not differ than yours or anyone elses where he may not have been pleased but you could find it near perfect so take everyones opinion, including mine, with a grain of salt.  =) 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
For 100-200 ISO combined with studio lights and good glass, a 7D will do just fine, IMO. People can argue that FF cams can do better, but hey, there are even more expensive systems out there which will do even better than 5D in studio environment. Any discussion of this nature will result in forum folks split into two camps - those who are satisfied with 7D and those who don't. Same result if you try to ask if 5DMKII is OK for studio or you need a Hassy. So this is kinda pointless. Nobody knows for sure what kind of results YOU need.

The easiest way to get an answer to your own question is to search for print samples/the web for studio work done with 7D. If that looks fine to you - get yourself a 7D. If not - upgrade to FF. As simple as that.
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 12:16:58 PM »
For 100-200 ISO combined with studio lights and good glass, a 7D will do just fine, IMO. People can argue that FF cams can do better, but hey, there are even more expensive systems out there which will do even better than 5D in studio environment. Any discussion of this nature will result in forum folks split into two camps - those who are satisfied with 7D and those who don't. Same result if you try to ask if 5DMKII is OK for studio or you need a Hassy. So this is kinda pointless. Nobody knows for sure what kind of results YOU need.

The easiest way to get an answer to your own question is to search for print samples/the web for studio work done with 7D. If that looks fine to you - get yourself a 7D. If not - upgrade to FF. As simple as that.

Couldn't have said it better myself +1

Tijn

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »

Though then, a 60D will do the same job just as well for less money.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »

Though then, a 60D will do the same job just as well for less money.

Assuming you aren't needing the AF, assuming you dont need the additional features of the flash commander (groupings)... assuming you want to shoot CF UMDA cards...  assuming you dont want the body/sealing in case you need to take the body out of studio and on location, 100% VF, FPS ... etc...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:29:13 PM by awinphoto »

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
I have searched the web regarding the topic subject and like here i found different opinions, i found also loads crap images shoot with 7d (at 18MP) and very good photos ( unfortunately not at 18MP resolution more at 4-6MP).

if somebody is willing to post some links where we can see studio shots made with 7D at full resolution and post the post processing information .... that would be ideal.

eventually i believe i will rent one and test it in detail. but i want to make a concrete idea before spending 60  euros to rent a camera.

Thanks for the replays,

Nik.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 12:36:36 PM »
I cannot comment on "studio use" becuase I don't use a studio.  But I do have both a 7D and a 40D, and IMHO (and yes I get flamed for this, but I'm not alone in my opinion) the 40D has superior IQ (specifically sharpness.)  I love my 7D for the feel, the AF, and the FPS, and high ISO images, but if I accidentally wandered into a studio I would prefer to have my 40D.

For reference I shoot primarily with a 70-200L 2.8 IS mark I and the 24-105L 4.0.

Tijn

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »
Assuming you aren't needing the AF, assuming you dont need the additional features of the flash commander (groupings)... assuming you want to shoot CF UMDA cards...  assuming you dont want the body/sealing in case you need to take the body out of studio and on location, 100% VF, FPS ... etc...
There are some differences of course, and indeed some might be of value for studio shooting. Though for the things he's asking about (IQ), I think there is very little difference. I can see the 100% VF being valuable. But both the 60D and the 7D can be used as a flash commander, and both bodies are weather sealed. For the rest, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. 60D is lighter weight, 60D has flip-out screen, 7D has titanium alloy, 7D has (much) better AF and higher FPs.

But since we were talking studio shooting and IQ, I didn't think those had any priority.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »