June 24, 2018, 08:40:48 PM

Author Topic: How long should it take 7D Mk II GPS to lock in?  (Read 4525 times)

Frodo

• EOS 80D
Re: How long should it take 7D Mk II GPS to lock in?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 04:36:27 PM »
I presume it works like in Lightroom. It knows when the photo was taken (photo exif data) and where you were at the time (GPS log).
I have an Etrex20. That should work fine. Good battery life. But I don't find the battery usage with my 6D in GPS mode is all that bad.
If gear matters: 5DsR, 6D, M3, Samyang 14/2.8, EF 24-105/4, EF 35/2.0IS, EF 50/2.5 macro, EF 85/1.8, EF 200/2.8II, EF 400/5.6, EF-M 11-22/4-5.6, EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6, EF-M 55-200/4.5-6.3, Ext 1.4x, Lifesize conv, Ext tube EF25, 270EX, Godox XPro-C, TT685-C and TT600

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 04:36:27 PM »

stevelee

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 07:33:57 PM »
okay, so I was able to confirm today that I was misinformed - the canon connect apple app will not transfer gps info to the 7D Mk II.  Bummer as I was hoping to keep it simple and use the phone to try and cut back on battery drain hopefully.  Oh well.  Going to test the camera gps in a bit.

I know with my G7X II both it and the phone are using battery when paired, so I’m not sure that would be a good reason even if it did work on your camera.

I turned on my 6D2 this afternoon just to make some settings to get ready for some video I plan to shoot tonight. Just before I turned it off, I noticed that the GPS had already locked in, even though I was indoors. I had last used the camera on my deck, so only a matter of feet away. That fits with the notion that it locks in faster when in the same general vicinity. It is not so much looking for satellites over other parts of the world.

If your camera is like mine, there is a setting that turns off the GPS when the camera turns off, so you can set that to save battery, at the expense of time pairing when turning on. Switching the camera off manually and letting it shut itself down can use different behaviors, so check out the modes for your model and set to hit the compromise between battery and lock in speed that fits what you are doing.

Valvebounce

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
Hi Wm.
First of all, I used this method on my 40D and 7D before I got my 7DII, I used GeoSetter (not available for Mac but there are alternatives) to tag my images using the gpx file created by an iPhone app, even after much mathematics adjusting the time offset to the second in the right direction and knowing exactly where I stood (on the point of a Y junction in the road) the tag put me about 50 yards away! The 7DII puts me in the right place with greater accuracy and gives the direction the camera was pointed too!

Hi Stevelee.
As yet (unless Canon has snuck it in on a firmware update and kept quiet about it🤣) the 7DII does not have the extra mode of control of the gps, it has on which is ON whether the camera is sleeping or powered off with the switch or off which is OFF as one would expect, no off when power is off or whatever they added to the newer gps enabled cameras, not that there is a newer 7D model yet! 😤

Cheers, Graham.
7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

stevelee

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 08:10:07 PM »
Thanks for the 7DII info. I’ve not used one myself. I’ve known parents of high school athletes who found it the perfect model for them.

weixing

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 03:00:59 AM »
Hi,
Hi,
    I had the 7D2 and I Geotag almost all my birding photo, but I don't use the 7D2 built-in GPS.... I use a Garmin GPS unit and use GeoSetter to embed the GPS info into my RAW file. The Garmin GPS is a lot faster and the battery can last very long... unless you need the compass info provide by 7D2. 

Anyway, base on my experience, 7D2 is very slow in initial acquisition and sometime will affect shooting speed... also, it consume quite a lot of power. I only use it once in a while to update my DSLR clock or if I forget to bring my Garmin GPS unit.

Have a nice day.

If you don't mind - a few questions....  Which Garmin do you use and do you know if GeoSetter comes for Mac?  Do you mind explaining the process ?  Im interested in geotagging and looking for an easy process but I think the battery drain is going to be too much on the canon.  Im guessing you turn on the Garmin when ready and just start taking pics.  But how do you mark on the Garmin where each photo was taken?  Guessing you look at the time stamp on the picture then compare to the route????  Im also new to raw imagery and then I need to figure out that.  Tks for the help!!
     Currently, I'm using the Garmin Oregon 650, but if you don't need any other feature, a basic eTrax 10 should do.

The process is quite simple, you copy the recorded track log from the Garmin GPS unit to the same directory as your image files. Then use the GeoSetter to open the folder. From the GeoSetter, select from the menu "Images"->"Synchronize with GPS Data Files...". Use the option "Synchronize with Tracks in Current Directory" and click "OK". GeoSetter will match the date and time in your image files to the track log data and assign the coordinate to the image. The image and location will also mark on a google map in the GeoSetter. Then just use the menu "Images"->"Save Changes" and GeoSetter will save the GPS coordinate to the image file itself.

Anyway, as some had mention GeoSetter do not have a mac version. If you use Lightroom, the Map module can also import the track log and assign GPS coordinate to the image. Please note Lightroom only save the GPS data in the Lightroom database and XMP sidecar files (if you use them), but not the image files itself.

Have a nice day.

lion rock

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 07:46:51 AM »
Have you tried Canon's GP-E2?
I use it on my cameras, including my 7DII (edit: the built-in 7DII GPS drains its battery quite fast.  If left on the 7DII, it lasts less than a day's worth of shooting. Well, much less than 1000 shots.)
The GP-E2 uses a single AA, either an alkaline or an Eneloop.  The former may work for 2 days and the latter for over a day.
It is attached to the hot shoe ( a drag, if I want to use a speedlight.)  It's supposed to connect using USB, as well, though I have not tried.  The data is written directly to the EXIF.
From power on to signal lock takes about a minute or less.  Signal sensitivity is exceptional.  The logging track works inside a car.   I had inadvertently left it on in a bag on an airplane from Australia to Hong Kong, and I got the full track.  Long/Lat/Alti.  Oh, when properly calibrated, the EXIF records the direction of the shot, too.
The data (in many files) can be exported from GP-E2/Canon MapUtility to Google Earth Pro and can be assembled to a single track for the whole trip.
It is expensive for a single use item.  But, quite useful.
-r

note: I don't own Canon stocks.  Just their products. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:05:43 AM by lion rock »

Wm

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 11:55:02 PM »
Sorry for the delay - for some reason I didn’t get any notifications of replies since the 12th ???  Anyhow, I went out and tested the gps and it locked in in about 30 secs(in different location than the 1st try). Maybe my 1st try took longer bc it was 1st initial use?  So now I have a little home work to investigate the other info provided in re: other gps means - may investigate as a back up and just for reference. I am glad it’s working much faster. I think I’m right here - I don’t believe the 7DII gps can be programmed to go off when the camera is powered down. I think I saw in the manual a warning to shut off each time it’s not in use or the battery will drain. Thanks all

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 11:55:02 PM »