February 19, 2017, 10:14:34 AM

Author Topic: Is there a way to get EF 11-24mm lens profile into LR5? Adobe Lens Profile apps?  (Read 438 times)

cayenne

• 5DSR
Hi Folks,

Yes, I know I"m likely attempting to beat my head against a wall on this one, but thought I'd ask.

I have LR5.

I recently bought the Canon 11-24L lens.

I really like using the lens profiles for corrections.  There isn't one for the 11-24 in my copy of LR5.

Now...awhile back, I found there wasn't a lens profile years back for my Rokinon 14mm, and I did some research found something called Adobe AIR and that along with a program I got form adobe, called the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader, I found a custom profile someone had done and it worked great with LR5.

Well, of course I forgot to take good notes on what I did...I have the apps still installed but not sure how to work them. On the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader, I try to log on with it to photoshop.com.  It won't connect. However, if I go directly to the photoshop.com website, I can log on with the credentials I'm using for the app log on...strange.

I see there is also an Adobe Lens Profile Creator....I'm not sure what to do with that, but may try to learn.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html#resources

NOW.....with all that being said.  Does anyone know of a way for me to find and install a profile for my lens in my current LR5 install....

Or, should I now bite the bullet and buy and upgrade to LR6?  I'd thought about it, but held off as that awhile back I was busy with projects, and from what I read, the "upgrade" was not a simple click a button upgrade, but had some steps you had to work through to convert catalogs, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDtK2xyeclY

Per my previous posts, I do not want to go to CC....if LR6 is my only option, then I'll research and figure how to do the upgrade from 5->6....

Anyway...thoughts?  Possible strategies?

As always, thanks in advance!!

Cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

LDS

• 5D Mark III
I really like using the lens profiles for corrections.  There isn't one for the 11-24 in my copy of LR5.

While I believe the profiles in LR6 should work in LR5 too (as long as the application creating them is the same), Adobe doesn't release new official profiles for version no longer supported, and it would be a copyright infringement if someone makes them available. The only way is to upgrade.

I would not be much worried by the upgrade process, AFAIK when you open a catalog in LR6 it will create a new upgraded one from the old one (without modifying the latter). Some advise to perform and export and import into a new catalog - there could be performance reason to do that, but it is not compulsory.  Of course software is always software, and a backup before attempting upgrades is always a good idea.

Profiles created by others can be shared, of course. There's always the unknown how carefully the profile was created. Don't know about the profile downloader, it requires Adobe Air to run, and given the abysmal security record of those Adobe runtimes, I avoid them as long as I can.

Creating profiles with the profile creator is not difficult, although it requires some care - more or less like creating AFMA corrections with some tools. With a lens like the 11-24 you may need to print a large test chart for the 11mm setting, though. The good is you can create a profile exactly on your unique lens/camera/sensor characteristics.

cayenne

• 5DSR

While I believe the profiles in LR6 should work in LR5 too (as long as the application creating them is the same), Adobe doesn't release new official profiles for version no longer supported, and it would be a copyright infringement if someone makes them available. The only way is to upgrade.

I would not be much worried by the upgrade process, AFAIK when you open a catalog in LR6 it will create a new upgraded one from the old one (without modifying the latter). Some advise to perform and export and import into a new catalog - there could be performance reason to do that, but it is not compulsory.  Of course software is always software, and a backup before attempting upgrades is always a good idea.

Profiles created by others can be shared, of course. There's always the unknown how carefully the profile was created. Don't know about the profile downloader, it requires Adobe Air to run, and given the abysmal security record of those Adobe runtimes, I avoid them as long as I can.

Creating profiles with the profile creator is not difficult, although it requires some care - more or less like creating AFMA corrections with some tools. With a lens like the 11-24 you may need to print a large test chart for the 11mm setting, though. The good is you can create a profile exactly on your unique lens/camera/sensor characteristics.

Thanks for the reply.
Hmm.

Do you have LR6?  If you or someone has LR6, could you chime in here and maybe let me know if the canon 11-24L lens profile is on LR6 and supported?

Thanks in advance!!

C

Krob78

• 5DSR
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...

Thanks for the reply.
Hmm.

Do you have LR6?  If you or someone has LR6, could you chime in here and maybe let me know if the canon 11-24L lens profile is on LR6 and supported?

Thanks in advance!!

C

Are you pulling raw images into LR or jpegs?  Mine seems to work for my raw images but not usually for the jpegs for some reason...
Ken

5D MK III, EOS M3, 100-400L II, 11-24L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-70LIS, 17-40L, 16-35 4L, 600 EX-RT, 430EX-RT, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

LDS

• 5D Mark III

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html#Canon

LDS

• 5D Mark III
Are you pulling raw images into LR or jpegs?  Mine seems to work for my raw images but not usually for the jpegs for some reason...

From Adobe help: "There are separate lens profiles for raw and non-raw files. Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom display only the profiles available for the file type of the selected image". Probably there are fewer profiles available for JPEG than RAW files.

Anyway, it also suggests it's better to use profiles on RAW files (without any in-camera corrections). JPEGs already underwent some manipulations, and LR may not know which ones. If needed, you could create a profile for your specific JPEG settings.

canon rumors FORUM