August 22, 2017, 06:59:26 PM

Author Topic: Canon USA Announces Canon Log Feature Upgrade for the EOS 5D Mark IV  (Read 29964 times)

Mikehit

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: Canon USA Announces Canon Log Feature Upgrade for the EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2017, 06:17:58 AM »

I'm guessing that the 5D4 isn't selling as well as previous models.

Why do you assume that?

There hasn't been much of a price drop since it's launch a year ago, which is unusual.

I thought it was launched September 2016? I would have thought no price drop would suggest it is selling well and they don't need to drop the price

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2017, 06:17:58 AM »

infared

• Kodak Brownie!
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2017, 06:50:34 AM »
Why anyone would buy a 5D4 now is beyond me. It's a Turkey. They know it too. This is a last-ditch effort to keep it relevant. Look at what the competition are doing.

Because I take stills and don't give a stuff about video.
That good enough reason?
Yes..I am stills only, too. I was on the fence about the 5DIV. (Have and continue to own 5D Mark III). Researched, a LOT. I have quite a bit of high end EF-mount glass. Looked at the Sony, looked at the 5DS R...and came back to the 5DIV...Because of its balance of handling, compitent interaction with its great lens selection and not "huge" file size.  The price is a choker...but I found gray market at $2750.  I absolutely love the camera. It was the best choice for me and "my" needs, even though it was not at the top of the heap in the FF resolution dept. I found that the cameras that are at the "top" of that heap had handling and/or noise problems that made them not the best choice for my needs.
It makes me happy to know that Canon is charging separately for some of this video capability that I have NEVER use/used. I would like to see more of that separation for cost savings in the future from Canon.
I thiink it would have been even better if Canon had offered a model without the anti-aliasing filter. That would have been great!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:18:28 AM by infared »
5D III +BG, 5D IV +BG, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Rokinon 15mm f/2.4,  Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f/1.2L,  Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II & 1.4x III

zelionprime

• Canonflex
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2017, 07:18:09 AM »
I'm a complete rookie to color grading. What software is pictured with this articles hero image? Also which color grading software do you all recommend?

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »
Why anyone would buy a 5D4 now is beyond me. It's a Turkey. They know it too. This is a last-ditch effort to keep it relevant. Look at what the competition are doing.

That good enough reason?
Yes..I am stills only, too. I was on the fence about the 5DIV. (Have and continue to own 5D Mark III). Researched, a LOT. I have quite a bit of high end EF-mount glass. Looked at the Sony, looked at the 5DS R...and came back to the 5DIV...Because of its balance of handling, compitent interaction with its great lens selection and not "huge" file size.  The price is a choker...but I found gray market at $2750.  I absolutely love the camera. It was the best choice for me and "my" needs, even though it was not at the top of the heap in the FF resolution dept. I found that the cameras that are at the "top" of that heap had handling and/or noise problems that made them not the best choice for my needs.
It makes me happy to know that Canon is charging separately for some of this video capability that I have NEVER use/used. I would like to see more of that separation for cost savings in the future from Canon.
I thiink it would have been even better if Canon had offered a model without the anti-aliasing filter. That would have been great!
+1 for the AA filter. Or they could possibly compromise with one model only with relatively week filter (I do not know though if would be the best or the worst of both worlds). As far as the separately charged video feature(s) I believe that the current price of 5DIV should apply for the updated model. The current (as is) model should be cheaper to begin with (talking mainly about European price)

Bernard

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2017, 07:49:10 AM »
Also which color grading software do you all recommend?

Try downloading the free version of DaVinci Resolve.

infared

• Kodak Brownie!
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2017, 07:53:13 AM »

That good enough reason?
I think if can had done without the filter, that the resolution (although fewer pixels) would be more competitive with the Sony or the Nikon. Right?
+1 for the AA filter. Or they could possibly compromise with one model only with relatively week filter (I do not know though if would be the best or the worst of both worlds). As far as the separately charged video feature(s) I believe that the current price of 5DIV should apply for the updated model. The current (as is) model should be cheaper to begin with (talking mainly about European price)

Well...I agree...I think in this market..the body should be cheaper...but Canon knows that they have us.  I have 13 EF-Mount lenses....so ...as of now it would take something monumental to get me to change systems...and as far as adapters go...too more lens connection points, slow focus....etc...on and on....no thanks.
There are a lot of choices for everyone though....so it's all good!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:29:55 PM by infared »
5D III +BG, 5D IV +BG, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Rokinon 15mm f/2.4,  Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f/1.2L,  Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II & 1.4x III

rrcphoto

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2017, 10:15:31 AM »

That good enough reason?

I'm guessing that the 5D4 isn't selling as well as previous models. There hasn't been much of a price drop since it's launch a year ago, which is unusual. Both the 5D2 and 5D3 sales were hugely buffered by the "run and gun" film crowd

how the heck do you know any of that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2017, 10:15:31 AM »

rrcphoto

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »
After all these years, I still get burned on misinformation from time to time, though a lot less than at the beginning. I should have stopped at the C-Log.

When you're right, no on says anything. When you're wrong..... omg! The hate emails have started already :P

For the record, The EF 85mm f/1.4L IS is real and will be coming in a few months (along with the 6D2)!

I'm sure canon is receiving some hate emails too.. i noticed some on dpreview stating it as fact yesterday. lol.

it was a pretty amazing rumor though. the dude spent alot of time on it.

maybe it has been discussed and bandied about.. do you remember how fare back the C700 specs were?

or it could be a mythical beast called a 5DC.. that canon will upgrade 5D Mark IV's into for a fee.

---

For the kicker, those C700 specs that came out OVER A YEAR BEFORE the actual release, I thought came pretty close to the actual camera other than the different form factor. (i.e. Remember that massive brochure on the very C500-like C700x? - the pages are STILL on Google Images and they are darn close to being spot on with the real C700 camera in terms of specs!)

I'm gonna say that SOMEBODY knows more than they're letting on ...SOOOOO.... don't be too surprised to see a Full Frame Mirrorless Canon Camera any day now or even a large-sensor Medium Format Canon Camera in the near future (i.e. within two years!).

Maybe the film side is much leakier, as they are dealing with producers, hollywood,etc probably given them prototype units as they need them,etc.  it was even a brochure format if i recall. it was pretty much dead on.  In all the years of following canon rumors, it's the only time I can recall soemthing like that happening so far in advance.

and thank you btw, for your longer sentences, so much easier to read.

I wouldn't be shocked by a full frame 6D like mirrorless EF mount camera alongside the 6D EF mount DSLR.

IMO .. I think that would be easy for canon to do.  I could be wrong though - all that EVF firmware,etc is tied up into the powershot firmware, so it could be alot of heavy lifting adding all that into a EOS camera.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:20:13 AM by rrcphoto »

icbwbidi

• Canonflex
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »
I haven't shot video with a Canon dslr for a year or two and the main reason is (aside from the lack of log) because there is no focus peaking.
My Canon G1X has that.

Is the Mark lV still missing focus peaking?

transpo1

• EOS 80D
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2017, 01:40:45 PM »
I haven't shot video with a Canon dslr for a year or two and the main reason is (aside from the lack of log) because there is no focus peaking.
My Canon G1X has that.

Yes, because...Cinema EOS  ::)

PHOTOPROROCKIES

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2017, 01:48:29 PM »

That good enough reason?

I'm guessing that the 5D4 isn't selling as well as previous models. There hasn't been much of a price drop since it's launch a year ago, which is unusual. Both the 5D2 and 5D3 sales were hugely buffered by the "run and gun" film crowd, I think parts of the Marvel Avengers film where made with it some of the hand cam scenes. The problem with the 5D4 is that it's lost that film fan base and they have gone else where. While I'm a stills photographer, it's a better camera for the movie investment. It's hybrid nature helps sell lots of units and allows a better still camera to be built with faster upgrade path than what would have been possible with just a low volume stills camera....But the 5D4 isn't selling too well. It's not featured enough for the movie market and it's too expensive for a lot of photographers. Even professional wedding photographers are choking at the current price, especially whey you can get a near mint late copy of the 5D3 for half the price.

Last time I checked it was April 2017 not September 2017. Hasn't been a year yet.

PHOTOPROROCKIES

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »
My Canon G1X has that.

Yes, because...Cinema EOS  ::)

Personally I'm really hoping they smarten up and put some basic features like that in. Focus peaking on the x-series system is awesome and makes manual focusing quick and easy.

transpo1

• EOS 80D
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2017, 03:34:06 PM »
Let's see someone defend this nonsense.  sony is  1 or 2 cameras away from  stomping CANON in every aspect but service.

Oh...and sales.   ::) ::) ::)

He also forgot....

Video AF
Build quality
Ergonomics
Video touchscreen AF
Color science
Menu structure
Weather sealing
Reliability and heat management

I'm a wedding filmmaker for a living and I have never seen a photog using anything other than Canon/Nikon. Seen a handful shooting film on a Leica or Contax MF, but not a single Sony. Also never seen a Sony in the hands of anyone at an event with a media pass. Sony's seem to be popular with prosumers/enthusiasts. Maybe the A9 will finally introduce Sony to the professional crowd, but that's a TALL mountain to climb and they're just getting started. Still, Canon needs to respond and compete; they need to get the camera and tech nerds excited like Sony is doing.

I will say a lot of my videographer colleagues use Sony, though....

And there it is--> "a lot of my videographer colleagues use Sony..."

I agree with all of the above things that Canon does better, which is why we are talking about improving the video features here, so us filmmakers can go on using these otherwise fine products  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2017, 03:34:06 PM »

transpo1

• EOS 80D
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2017, 03:35:55 PM »

There is no "5DC" coming in 2017... beyond that, who knows.

I've said for years the 5D should come in three niche orientated models. How many people that actually work with cameras don't believe that would be the most obvious thing to do with the 5D line?

5DC
5D Mk*
5Ds/r Mk*

Totally agree with this. But Canon is too afraid to cannibalize their Cinema EOS lines to release a 5DC.

transpo1

• EOS 80D
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2017, 03:37:03 PM »
Now let's hear the cacaphony of hurt for the $99 cost for the upgrade.

Anybody that believed a fraction of the 'rumor' was in denial. Talk of a hardware upgrade was never going happen to a mass production camera.

Well, the OP (Canonrumors) even believed it. So was he in denial, too? It would be a lot easier for them to just release a 5DC with all of the rumored features.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2017, 03:37:03 PM »