August 17, 2017, 05:19:59 PM

Author Topic: Fujifilm GFX 50s with Canon Lenses?  (Read 2092 times)

JP4DESIGNZ

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Jesse Patterson Photography
Fujifilm GFX 50s with Canon Lenses?
« on: June 17, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »
Hey everyone!  I wonder if the Laowa Magic Converter will work perfectly with the Fujifilm GFX 50s.  I was thinking of going medium format if this adapter works instead of getting either a 5DSR or a Sony A7RII.

http://www.venuslens.net/laowa-magic-format-converter-mfc/

How many of you would upgrade to medium format if your current Canon lenses would work perfectly with them?
5D Mark IV w/C-Log | 5DS R | Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 VC | Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC G2 | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 85mm f/1.4L IS | Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 | Lots of Flashpoint (Godox) Gear

canon rumors FORUM

Fujifilm GFX 50s with Canon Lenses?
« on: June 17, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »

BeenThere

• EOS 6D Mark II
Re: Fujifilm GFX 50s with Canon Lenses?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »
Interesting concept. Looks to be a 1.4x TC with an EF mount on the lens side. Loses about 1 stop of light. If the optics are as good as Canon's TC, then it will probably sell well to Fuji owners. I wonder how this rig's iq will compete with a 5Ds. For a given lens, there will be about the same number of photons per pixel with GFX 50 and 5Ds.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:07:57 PM by BeenThere »

PavelR

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 04:28:22 PM »
Working TC for Canon lens conversion do not convince me to upgrade...
I miss two main things in the current system:
1) PDAF
2) 150mm or 200mm / 2.8 lens
Thus I'm going to upgrade my 1DsIII to A9...

padam

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:11:17 PM »
The EF 40/2.8 STM is small, cheap and already fully covers the sensor as is, although there is no proper electronic adapter yet.

Jopa

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 04:28:26 PM »
Hey everyone!  I wonder if the Laowa Magic Converter will work perfectly with the Fujifilm GFX 50s.  I was thinking of going medium format if this adapter works instead of getting either a 5DSR or a Sony A7RII.

How many of you would upgrade to medium format if your current Canon lenses would work perfectly with them?

I was considering buying a GFX, but it's really hard to call this an "upgrade" considering slow FPS and AF. Later I realized the IQ difference of a 33x44 sensor is not worth the price, and decided to wait for a "more MF" 54x40 sensor, maybe in a GFX mk II, who knows :)

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
  • Poor photographer? become a printer !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »
I own a GFX with 3 lenses. Not impressed with this camera and will sell it soon. I've got a 645Z and it is by far a better camera. Better native lenses and legacy as well. Better AF. Better ergo... just plain better camera. If I were going to buy a Fuji again... I'd buy another X-T2. Not MF but a sweet cam, my XT2 is prob one of the best by FujiFilm to date.

And if you were really considering medium format then buy a real medium format film camera... The 645Z is great but my film MF still kick it's ass. 645 is barely MF when looking at a genuine 6x7 or 6x9. The look you get with a 6x7/9 does not compare to 6x4.5 . At 6x4.5 you might as well stick with FF.
I'm limping by with my current equipment... once I get that new lens with IS and that blue goo... then I'll finally be able to go out and take my first decent picture...

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
  • Poor photographer? become a printer !!!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »

I was considering buying a GFX, but it's really hard to call this an "upgrade" considering slow FPS and AF. Later I realized the IQ difference of a 33x44 sensor is not worth the price, and decided to wait for a "more MF" 54x40 sensor, maybe in a GFX mk II, who knows :)

You're going to wait a very very very long time... or spend a ton of cash on a real digital MF camera. Like $50-60k.
I'm limping by with my current equipment... once I get that new lens with IS and that blue goo... then I'll finally be able to go out and take my first decent picture...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »

JP4DESIGNZ

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Jesse Patterson Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 12:23:27 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone!  I'm not worried about the slow autofocus speed nor the lower fps.  Just image quality.  I am wondering myself if the image quality is worth $6K if it is not miles better than the 5DS R.  I'm not looking at film nor anything $10K and above however, the lower priced mirrorless medium format cameras have me thinking and wanting to experiment.  Since the Fujifilm GFX 50s could possibly have a working electronic adapter for Canon lenses, that's why I'm keeping an eye on it rather than anything else MF at the moment.

I've heard alot about the 645Z and I am hearing that is the best MF camera under $10K and I'd probably go that direction if I could completely switch to the MF Pentax system.

It seems like there are alot of reviewers either loving or disliking the GFX 50s so I'll have to test it myself to see if I could work with it.  Who knows, I'll probably stick with a Canon body or get a Sony A7R III but I'm not in a rush to decide anything for now.
5D Mark IV w/C-Log | 5DS R | Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 VC | Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC G2 | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 85mm f/1.4L IS | Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 | Lots of Flashpoint (Godox) Gear

Luds34

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 12:43:18 AM »
I guess I'm a little confused. Will the Canon lenses fit the larger image circle of the larger Fuji? Or are we talking about an optical element involved in the converter? It wasn't clear if this is even a product yet or is this a future product? (the adapter)

While the GFX lens lineup is a bit sparse (Should expand nicely over the next few years) I'd think anyone with the cash to drop on a camera north of $5k will just buy native lenses. Adapting lenses, especially "vintage glass" can be a fun little hobby in of itself. But someone buying a medium format camera, investing $10k+ in a system, with the goal of ultimate IQ isn't going to Macgyver their kit together for fun, at least in my humble opinion.

Pookie, you appear to have quite an equipment/gear budget, congrats! :)

padam

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 01:28:25 AM »
I guess I'm a little confused. Will the Canon lenses fit the larger image circle of the larger Fuji? Or are we talking about an optical element involved in the converter? It wasn't clear if this is even a product yet or is this a future product? (the adapter)

While the GFX lens lineup is a bit sparse (Should expand nicely over the next few years) I'd think anyone with the cash to drop on a camera north of $5k will just buy native lenses. Adapting lenses, especially "vintage glass" can be a fun little hobby in of itself. But someone buying a medium format camera, investing $10k+ in a system, with the goal of ultimate IQ isn't going to Macgyver their kit together for fun, at least in my humble opinion.

Pookie, you appear to have quite an equipment/gear budget, congrats! :)

It is made for the Laowa lenses, but it should work with others as well, which are all manual. It makes the 35mm format lens "fit" onto that slightly bigger image circle. But I am not sure if I see the point since the extra glass will degrade the performance a little, reducing the medium format advantage, probably works best with the Laowa lenses.

A few Canon lenses do have a larger image circle. So they could work, if an electronic adapter without any optics is going to be released.

Jopa

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 04:10:29 AM »

You're going to wait a very very very long time... or spend a ton of cash on a real digital MF camera. Like $50-60k.

We're talking about Fuji, not Canon ;) The turnaround can be quicker than you're expecting. The 33x44 was the first generation of the MF-like sensors, and the current generation is bigger. I think in a few years it'll become MF mainstream, replacing the old chip. I'm cool with a 5dsr for now, and if Canon releases an mk2 with an ADC high res sensor, I won't considering a move to MF at all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 04:10:29 AM »