June 29, 2017, 08:50:50 AM

Author Topic: SL 2 expected or rumoured specs and pricing?  (Read 2346 times)

figaro28

• Power Shot G7X
SL 2 expected or rumoured specs and pricing?
« on: June 19, 2017, 05:27:29 AM »
Does anybody know anything?

I well understand the great interest for the upcoming 6D, and I am thankful for the information, but some little snippet about the SL2 would be greatly appreciated here, particularly the pricing and the sensor. Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

SL 2 expected or rumoured specs and pricing?
« on: June 19, 2017, 05:27:29 AM »

LonelyBoy

• Canon 7D MK II
Re: SL 2 expected or rumoured specs and pricing?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 06:47:15 AM »
I know - the big one has several pages of discussion (of mostly arguing) and the little one (the one I'd be actually interested in) is apparently chopped liver.

Maximilian

• 1D X Mark II
  • The dark side - I've been there
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »
I know - the big one has several pages of discussion (of mostly arguing) and the little one (the one I'd be actually interested in) is apparently chopped liver.
Same thoughts here!

figaro28, although a separate thread with detailed specs is missing you did recognize the few bits of info spread yet?
The only "real" info was told in this thread
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=32651.msg665179#msg665179
where CR said

... The new king of small DSLRs will apparently be slightly smaller and a bit lighter than the EOS Rebel SL1, which at the time of its launch was the smallest DSLR in the world.
We’re also told to expect a specifications list that is relatively similar to the Canon EOS 77D.
If this is true you can copy the specs of the 77D or - more logical IMO - of the Rebel T7i/800D.
And if that is true and there are no reductions in specs you can guess that it'll be $100 more expensive than the mentioned cameras.
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

Jopa

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 04:11:38 PM »
Same thoughts here!

figaro28, although a separate thread with detailed specs is missing you did recognize the few bits of info spread yet?
The only "real" info was told in this thread
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=32651.msg665179#msg665179
where CR said

... The new king of small DSLRs will apparently be slightly smaller and a bit lighter than the EOS Rebel SL1, which at the time of its launch was the smallest DSLR in the world.
We’re also told to expect a specifications list that is relatively similar to the Canon EOS 77D.
If this is true you can copy the specs of the 77D or - more logical IMO - of the Rebel T7i/800D.
And if that is true and there are no reductions in specs you can guess that it'll be $100 more expensive than the mentioned cameras.

A pocketable DSLR? I bet it'll look awesome with a 600/4 40/2.8!

Maximilian

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 04:23:29 AM »
Already having the 100D/SL1 I know what I am talking about.
I like it's form factor, I know that it is not pocketable, but I also don't want to invest into another system just slightly smaller. And until today I always preferred an OVF.

When I decided on the 100D others (Oly, Pana) had the same form factor, were out of decission (Sony, never again) or weren't just there (Fuji).

And I like to use my 100D with the bigger lenses as well.
There are only two things I don't like about it:
- AF system (performance and speed)
- sensor (High ISO performance)

It seems that its successor will handle these downsides. So if the price is decent I'm in. And I'm not the only one.

Jopa, you see there was a market for the 100D and there will be one for its successor, so I don't get your joke  :P

LonelyBoy

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 06:51:24 AM »
Already having the 100D/SL1 I know what I am talking about.
I like it's form factor, I know that it is not pocketable, but I also don't want to invest into another system just slightly smaller. And until today I always preferred an OVF.

When I decided on the 100D others (Oly, Pana) had the same form factor, were out of decission (Sony, never again) or weren't just there (Fuji).

And I like to use my 100D with the bigger lenses as well.
There are only two things I don't like about it:
- AF system (performance and speed)
- sensor (High ISO performance)

It seems that its successor will handle these downsides. So if the price is decent I'm in. And I'm not the only one.

Jopa, you see there was a market for the 100D and there will be one for its successor, so I don't get your joke  :P

I'm right there with you!  My 5D3 is a great camera, but I'd love something that I can cart around with my 18-135STM, 55-250STM, or 24STM to just catch opportunities while I'm out and about without lugging the big one and worrying about size, looks, or it getting stolen if I leave it in the car.

He's right; it makes no sense (outside of having fun) to hook it up to my 100-400ii.  That's not the point.  The only thing that might make me NOT get the SL2 is if I decide I want the tilty-flippy, at which point I'll pick up the T71 or 77D.  They're bigger than ideal for the always-carry job, but still a lot smaller than the big ones.

And like you, I like the OVF.  The M6 would be nice otherwise, but it's size advantage over the SL only really comes to play with the 22/2; once you put any other lens at all on it, it's no longer pocketable, and the package to buy that body plus the 22/2 separately is too high for what I'd use it for.

Maximilian

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:48 AM »
And like you, I like the OVF.  The M6 would be nice otherwise, but it's size advantage over the SL only really comes to play with the 22/2; once you put any other lens at all on it, it's no longer pocketable, and the package to buy that body plus the 22/2 separately is too high for what I'd use it for.
+1
Agree with most of what you said but especially with the quoted part.
M6 would be interesting but only with compact and decent lenses like the 22/2.
But again this would mean buing into another system (EF-M), although the name is still "Canon".

Let's hope and see, what Canon will bring along on June 29th or whenever the release will be :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:48 AM »

zim

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »
What benifits do people see the SL2 will have over the M5 which wasn't around when the SL1 was released?
OVF over EVF (many would see that the other way round I guess though) and...

LonelyBoy

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 09:12:48 AM »
What benifits do people see the SL2 will have over the M5 which wasn't around when the SL1 was released?

OVF is a big thing; it matters not a whit to me whether other people disagree.  Their preference no more means that I shouldn't prefer an OVF than my preference means they should prefer EVF or LV.  My preference is my preference, and if others prefer something else that doesn't mean I should give up what I want.

But to finish your sentence...

...and PDAF.  And native support for EF lenses (no, I don't want the adapter that immediately removes the marginal size advantage of the M).  And better battery life.  And enough room for even a small grip.

So I hope that clears up why some of us are excited, and why the M does not replace the SL series no matter how enthusiastic its fans are.

Maximilian

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »
I can understand you question. Here my answer:
  • Pricing! I hope the SL2/110D will be cheaper.
    But if the rumored spcs become true I suppose there won't be much difference.
  • OVF! Although EVF get better each generation I don't like them yet!
    Maybe in 5 years.
  • Lens system! I don't want to buy in a new lens system and EF-M lenses don't give me the choice I want.
    And if it comes to the mount adapter EF-EOS M, then I say I can stay native in the body as well
  • Shutter release button! You might laugh but I really hate those protruding EOS-M shutter release buttons.
    I prefer the even and smoth buttons of EOS DSLRs.
    That would be even a reason not to go Nikon ;)

Enough reasons?  ;)

figaro28

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 10:54:37 AM »

OVF is a big thing; it matters not a whit to me whether other people disagree.  Their preference no more means that I shouldn't prefer an OVF than my preference means they should prefer EVF or LV.  My preference is my preference, and if others prefer something else that doesn't mean I should give up what I want.

Amen.

EVF is out of the question for me, and I very much enjoy my SL1.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Zeiss 50mm F 0.7
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 10:54:59 AM »
Canon is aware that they need a small DSLR form factor, particularly in Asia.  The trouble is that they don't sell well in the USA.  I expect them to be priced just below the entry level Rebels in the USA, perhaps a little higher initially.  Likely $799.

Maximilian

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 12:11:56 PM »
I expect them to be priced just below the entry level Rebels in the USA, perhaps a little higher initially.  Likely $799.
I have the fear that'll be at least $100 more. (And then here in Germany you can exchange the $ by € and put additional 50 to 100 on top)
If you are right with that list price and features/specs close to the Rebel T7i/800D., I'd say okay to it and put my money on the table as soon as some discounts come around.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 12:11:56 PM »

rrcphoto

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 04:36:38 PM »
cw posted potential specs:

http://www.*********.com/are-these-the-canon-rebel-sl2-specifications-cw3/

if so, this looks mighty good.

We have been tipped with a list of specifications for the upcoming Canon Rebel SL2.

The specification list seems pretty much to be the same as for the EOS 800D/Rebel T7i, announced a few months ago. It’s not unlikely that the Rebel SL2 and the Rebel T7i have same or similar specifications.

The Canon Rebel SL2 might have:

24MP sensor
3″ vari-angle and touchscreen display
1080p/60 fps
Dual Pixel AF
WiFi/NFC
45 points AF
Digic 7
ISO 51200
HDR movie, time-lapse movie
Will still be the world’s smallest DSLR
My take: the list above is plausible, the Rebel SL2 may indeed have specifications and features that are very similar if not the same as other entry-level Canon Rebel DSLRs.

We expect the Rebel SL2 to be announced on June 29, 2017, together with the Canon EOS 6D Mark II and a new entry-level mirrorless camera.

zim

• 1D X Mark II
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies, it was a genuine question although when typing it did cross my mind that it could be construed otherwise.
I'm kinda thinking about a 'holiday' camera (not for this year) and without actually trying it the M5 has been top of my list but you all raise interesting points I look forward to tying both in the flesh.

Cheers

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »