August 27, 2014, 11:03:23 AM

Author Topic: Anyone else want a cropped sensor?  (Read 7623 times)

dougkerr

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • The Pumpkin
Re: Anyone else want a cropped sensor?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »
All my sensors are at the original size as manufactured. Cropping them is really delicate work.

Best regards,

Doug

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 02:44:30 PM »
All my sensors are at the original size as manufactured. Cropping them is really delicate work.

Best regards,

Doug
that made me lol in fact  ;D
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

briansquibb

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »
Yes, i want a cropped sensor... a 7D mk2 that use a APS-H sensor ( cropped :) ) and the ability to use EF-s lenses.
well, I'm afraid that's not possible. EF-S lenses are only compatible with APS-C. You need FF lenses for APS-H... ::)

Indeed. Even if they did work, there would be serious vignetting. The short back focus might get in the mirror's way, anyway.

Nikon have the capability to have DX lens on FX bodies. Anything is possible.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »
Yes, i want a cropped sensor... a 7D mk2 that use a APS-H sensor ( cropped :) ) and the ability to use EF-s lenses.
well, I'm afraid that's not possible. EF-S lenses are only compatible with APS-C. You need FF lenses for APS-H... ::)

Indeed. Even if they did work, there would be serious vignetting. The short back focus might get in the mirror's way, anyway.

I was wondering if this was actually physically possible.. waiting for neuro to chime in i'm sure he will know if an ef-s lens has enough coverage to use an APS-H sensor with a different mirror setup. of course they might do away with the mirror issue altogether ;)
APS-H Fanboy

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 09:36:54 PM »

I was wondering if this was actually physically possible.. waiting for neuro to chime in i'm sure he will know if an ef-s lens has enough coverage to use an APS-H sensor with a different mirror setup. of course they might do away with the mirror issue altogether ;)

Nikon also has an extra 2.5mm to play with because of the larger register distance (46.5mm vs. 44mm).  That in conjunction with knowing DX glass will need to function on FX bodies, shouldn't be that difficult (although it eliminates the benefit of being able to intrude into the mirror box restricted zone with WA lenses).

I would also speculate that (and I'm going from memory here, so correct me if I'm wrong)...  Since Nikon originally only had DX bodies for digital, they wanted to provide "pro" quality glass for their existing customers, but knew some day they'd have FX bodies; they wanted to ensure a migration strategy.  Canon (ok, technically Kodak guts) on the other hand, started with full frame digital and bodies, and added crop; so they really didn't have the incentive to either provide top quality glass for crop, or provide any migration strategy to FF.

Yes, both Nikon and Canon had APS-C film bodies before digital, but nothing important ("pro" or volume wise) enough to be able to dictate lens strategy.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 03:32:58 AM »
all horses for courses...  if i was wildlife photographer i'd want a crop lens too

briansquibb

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2012, 03:57:36 AM »
all horses for courses...  if i was wildlife photographer i'd want a crop lens too

I think they do - a 1.3 crop

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 05:09:53 AM »
So what do folks think the next cropped bodies will be like? Is there anyone else out there who wants one?

I really don't care if my body has a crop sensor or not - I'm interested in the functionality of the body and the pictures resulting from the sensor-lens combination. However, one advantage of ff is the large viewfinder.

The only thing that is very stange that I am currently only using ef lenses that aren't made for my aps-c body - this is historically understandable, and with older lenses it's just fine that only the center is used. But shelling out a lot of €€€/$$$ for an ef tele lens and thinking "great, on a crop body the reach is even further" is just ridiculous - I'm buying high quality glass and it's weight and will never use part of it.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
So what do folks think the next cropped bodies will be like? Is there anyone else out there who wants one?

I really don't care if my body has a crop sensor or not - I'm interested in the functionality of the body and the pictures resulting from the sensor-lens combination. However, one advantage of ff is the large viewfinder.

The only thing that is very stange that I am currently only using ef lenses that aren't made for my aps-c body - this is historically understandable, and with older lenses it's just fine that only the center is used. But shelling out a lot of €€€/$$$ for an ef tele lens and thinking "great, on a crop body the reach is even further" is just ridiculous - I'm buying high quality glass and it's weight and will never use part of it.

On a crop body, you're using the best part of the glass.
What is truth?

Neeneko

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 08:25:36 AM »
I find the OP's initial comments to be rather amusing since, marketing-wise, people who like the smaller senors are in the vast majority and get preferential treatment by Canon... faster iterations, more bodies, etc.

If you want to talk minority.. my preferred sensor would be MF monochrome.. not that I can afford one of course ^_^ (at least not one that is not 5-10 years old).