September 30, 2014, 02:08:59 PM

Author Topic: how long does it take for lens prices to drop? (24-70mm ii)  (Read 3194 times)

martinelliminimo

how long does it take for lens prices to drop? (24-70mm ii)
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« on: February 09, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: how long does it take for lens prices to drop? (24-70mm ii)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 04:59:53 PM »
Depends on the popularity of the lens. If lots of people are willing to pay full price, there's no incentive for a price drop.  Could be a few months, or a year or more.  The 70-200 II is nearly 2 years old, prices have come down a couple of hundred dollars, and there have been decent rebates on top of that. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »
Awhile  back I got curious, so I checked my customer profile on Adorama (they keep a record of everything you've ever ordered). Virtually every lens I've purchased is either now selling for more or roughly the same as what I paid. 

So, I guess the answer would be: maybe never.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:10:28 PM »
Awhile  back I got curious, so I checked my customer profile on Adorama (they keep a record of everything you've ever ordered). Virtually every lens I've purchased is either now selling for more or roughly the same as what I paid. 

Untrue to one extent: Crap always varies.  Good stuff on the other hand is on a "buy it if you need it" basis . . . because it's a hit-or-miss sale proposition.

The only lens I got (financially) burned on was the 70-300 IS . . . which is also the lens I was greatly disappointed in.

As I said in another post (paraphrased) it's not like X bursts into flames and stops taking good photos when it's replacement comes out. 

Most people are looking for sales on the 24-70mm right now; so, just find a 'good' dip in price ASAP and stick with it, IF you need it and you'll be fine.

Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:40:33 PM »

Did you buy these just after they were released ? I wonder if there is an "early adopter premium" that the manufacturer tries to squeeze out of the first wave of customers.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:15:19 PM »

Untrue to one extent: Crap always varies.  Good stuff on the other hand is on a "buy it if you need it" basis . . . because it's a hit-or-miss sale proposition.

The only lens I got (financially) burned on was the 70-300 IS . . . which is also the lens I was greatly disappointed in.

As I said in another post (paraphrased) it's not like X bursts into flames and stops taking good photos when it's replacement comes out. 

Most people are looking for sales on the 24-70mm right now; so, just find a 'good' dip in price ASAP and stick with it, IF you need it and you'll be fine.

I don't know about that, most glass prices seem to remain fairly consistent.  Hell the original 24-70 was $950 when it came out!  And it was as high as $1449 retail within the last few years and it's still $1200 at B&H.  Granted the original came out before the "recession," but still. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Scott_7D

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:10:52 AM »

I don't know about that, most glass prices seem to remain fairly consistent.  Hell the original 24-70 was $950 when it came out!  And it was as high as $1449 retail within the last few years and it's still $1200 at B&H.  Granted the original came out before the "recession," but still.

Actually the Canon press release states that the MSRP of the 24-70L was $2099 USD at the time of release, not $950. And if you look, you'll see that pretty much all lenses Canon's released in the last decade have started out with a higher price than expected and then dropped 20-30% once the early adopters have bought theirs. Expect the new 24-70 to be at $1800-1900 or so within 18 months of the first shipments.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:10:52 AM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »

Actually the Canon press release states that the MSRP of the 24-70L was $2099 USD at the time of release, not $950. And if you look, you'll see that pretty much all lenses Canon's released in the last decade have started out with a higher price than expected and then dropped 20-30% once the early adopters have bought theirs. Expect the new 24-70 to be at $1800-1900 or so within 18 months of the first shipments.

I wasn't talking about the press release, I was talking about what they were actually selling for when released compared to what they have been selling for recently.  I'm just saying the lens was cheaper 6 years ago than it is now. 

I'm sure the 24-70 II will drop below $2k fairly quickly, I was just trying to point out that lenses prices fluctuate much differently than most electronics.  I didn't want the OP to get the impression that if he waited a year it would be $500 or something (like a computer or TV).
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »