September 26, 2017, 03:16:06 AM

Author Topic: Eclipse photo prep question/critique  (Read 4454 times)

motorhead9999

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Eclipse photo prep question/critique
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »
So I've been doing some solar testing with my camera rig for the eclipse. Here's what I'm using:
Canon 70D
Canon 1.4x tele
Canon 100-400 ISII
formatt hitech firecrest filter system with Lee solar eclipse 100mm x 100mm filter
Manfrotto 410 geared head
a mefoto tripod (for now)

I'm using a custom white balance of 5200K.

Anyways, the photos I think are coming out ok (the geared head makes such a difference when trying to track and center the sun). The one big thing I've noticed though is that there seems to be a really huge chromatic abberation (I believe this is the case) right where the sun's edge meets the dark. Yes, it's only visible when zoomed in.

Any thoughts or ideas? Also, any general critique on how the photo came out (aside from it being just a disc in the sky)? I.e. does my focus look good, should I change my settings, should I just throw my camera gear away etc.

*edit: Oddly, the abberation only really appears when I move the jpeg over to my cell phone to look at it. That's odd...

canon rumors FORUM

Eclipse photo prep question/critique
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
Re: Eclipse photo prep question/critique
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 07:16:52 PM »
Try with just the solar filter, it should not be fringing.  I setup two different exposure and capture settings using C1 and C2 on my 5D MK IV this morning.  Ci for the partial phase and C2 for the fully eclipsed situation.  I bracketed exposures 3 increments for C1 and 7 increments for C2.

The results seem fine to me.

This  is the uncropped image at the center of the range of exposures.  During the totality, shutter speeds go from 1/8000 to 0.5 sec in increments of two stops.

takesome1

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 10:14:14 PM »
I noticed on Canon's website the suggestion of 2 stops between for bracketing.

Unless this is just for insurance to get a properly exposed shot why such a large range?

Mt Spokane Photography

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:03:12 PM »

Unless this is just for insurance to get a properly exposed shot why such a large range?

I believe that you can stack the images and be able to see the solar prominence's which are very dim away from the sun, and very bright near the sun.  They are visible out to 5X solar diameters.  You do not want the sun filling the screen or you will miss them in your images.

The DR required to capture that entire image is far beyond the ability of any camera sensor, so you stack a series of images taken with varying exposures.

tpatana

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 11:17:57 PM »
Try with just the solar filter, it should not be fringing.  I setup two different exposure and capture settings using C1 and C2 on my 5D MK IV this morning.  Ci for the partial phase and C2 for the fully eclipsed situation.  I bracketed exposures 3 increments for C1 and 7 increments for C2.

Ha! I was planning exact same, on same body :)

Care to tell me the exact settings you use on those?

Mt Spokane Photography

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:45:07 AM »

I just plugged in the recommended values from the Canon article for the partial phase. 

ISO 400, 1/125 sec  f/11 (100-400L II with 2X TC wide open.  I did not see a improvement with smaller apertures, in fact, they looked worse.  Then, I am bracketing 3 shots +/-  2 stops.  I set C2 the same except bracketing 7 shots so a 12 stop range.  I have not found recommendations for the totality, so I may make adjustments on the fly.  I'm a little in doubt if I can actually make it down to the totality if road reports coming out today are a indication of things to come.

Valvebounce

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »
Hi Mt Spokane.
I sincerely hope that you are able to make it to the totality, after all the purchases, practicing and advice giving it sure would be a shame if you missed it for anything other than clouds in front of it! Plus as I'm right on the edge of the partial I'm looking forwards to seeing some shots here of the full eclipse please! 

Safe travels to all braving the mayhem to see this.

Cheers, Graham.

I just plugged in the recommended values from the Canon article for the partial phase. 

ISO 400, 1/125 sec  f/11 (100-400L II with 2X TC wide open.  I did not see a improvement with smaller apertures, in fact, they looked worse.  Then, I am bracketing 3 shots +/-  2 stops.  I set C2 the same except bracketing 7 shots so a 12 stop range.  I have not found recommendations for the totality, so I may make adjustments on the fly.  I'm a little in doubt if I can actually make it down to the totality if road reports coming out today are a indication of things to come.
7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »

lion rock

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »
Well it's now down to the crunch.
Travel and location are now starting to look difficult.  I'm told that public schools along the eclipse path are going to be closed in Tennessee where we were planning to drive to (4-1/2 hours).  On top of that, the news is that even small towns are expecting large crowds.

On top of that, the weather report indicates some overcast!  That wouldn't be circumvented.
Sad.
-r

Hi Mt Spokane.
I sincerely hope that you are able to make it to the totality, after all the purchases, practicing and advice giving it sure would be a shame if you missed it for anything other than clouds in front of it! Plus as I'm right on the edge of the partial I'm looking forwards to seeing some shots here of the full eclipse please! 

Cheers, Graham.

Mt Spokane Photography

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »
Hi Mt Spokane.

Cheers, Graham.

Weather should be clear and hot.  Its basically a desert and is clear virtually all the time in summer.  We have had winds all week, so the smoke has blown away, as far as I can tell, its fine down south as well.

takesome1

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »

I believe that you can stack the images and be able to see the solar prominence's which are very dim away from the sun, and very bright near the sun.  They are visible out to 5X solar diameters.  You do not want the sun filling the screen or you will miss them in your images.

The DR required to capture that entire image is far beyond the ability of any camera sensor, so you stack a series of images taken with varying exposures.

5x solar diameter?
I wonder if the 1D IV at 700mm will be to much. 500mm might be better?

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 11:08:35 PM »
So I've been doing some solar testing with my camera rig for the eclipse. Here's what I'm using:
Canon 70D
Canon 1.4x tele
Canon 100-400 ISII
formatt hitech firecrest filter system with Lee solar eclipse 100mm x 100mm filter
Manfrotto 410 geared head
a mefoto tripod (for now)

I'm using a custom white balance of 5200K.

I am using a very similar set-up for one of my cameras:
M5
100-400mm II
1.4xIII extender (896mm equivalent)
B&H solar filter
RRS BH-55 ball head
borrowed Manfroto tripod (not as stable as I would like, but 1 tripod is all I really need 99.9% of the time)

My 18-year-old son will operate this set-up while I operate this one:

5DsR
300mm f/2.8 II
2.0xIII extender (600mm)
Thousand Oaks solar filter
RRS TVC-33 tripod
Wimberley WH-200 II gimbal head

I tested the 5DsR set-up with the RRS BH-55 ball head and the Wimberley gimbal and prefer the gimbal.  Its rock solid and adjustments for this type of shooting are much easier.  So, my son has a less stable, more difficult to track tripod, but the tilt LCD on the M5 is a blessing with the camera and lens pointed up 63 degrees.  He volunteered to man this camera after trying both set-ups.

We will have a 3rd camera, my sons 6D, set-up on a mini-tripod shooting wide angle environmental shots on a remote timer.  This one will be on autopilot in Av mode to adjust shutter speed as the light changes.

6D
16-35 f/4
no filter
cheap mini-tripod (solid enough for this light set-up)

I plan to shoot the long lenses wide open or maybe stopped down 1 stop or less.  I see that Canon is recommending f/11 or higher, but I don't see what that gains you.  There is no depth of field consideration and a wider aperture allows lower ISO's and/or faster shutter speeds during totality.  In my comparison shooting with my 300 f/2.8 + 2x, the f/5.6 and f/6.3 shots are just as sharp or sharper than f/11 and f/14.

I've deleted 99% of my test shots, but here is one I still had in Lightroom
5DsR with 100-400 II @400mm, f/5.6 ISO320, heavily cropped
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:24:56 PM by bholliman »
5DsR, EF Lenses: 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS II, 100-400mm II
M5, M series lenses: Rokinon 12mm f/2, EF-M 22mm f/2, 11-22mm, 18-150mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 11:30:24 PM »
Well it's now down to the crunch.
Travel and location are now starting to look difficult.  I'm told that public schools along the eclipse path are going to be closed in Tennessee where we were planning to drive to (4-1/2 hours).  On top of that, the news is that even small towns are expecting large crowds.

On top of that, the weather report indicates some overcast!  That wouldn't be circumvented.
Sad.
-r

We will be traveling to southern Illinois the day before.  I'm getting concerned about finding a place to set-up and observe.  I assumed we could just find a park or other public ground, but if the crowds are large it might be though to find a spot.  Traffic is also a concern.

The current weather forecast for the area is hot and humid with partly cloudy skies - which has a wide range of possibilities.  We will be there and hope for the best.
5DsR, EF Lenses: 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS II, 100-400mm II

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 11:39:10 PM »

5x solar diameter?
I wonder if the 1D IV at 700mm will be to much. 500mm might be better?

I'm shooting at 600mm to be sure I capture all of the outer corona during totality, but that is dictated by my equipment.  I think 700 or 800mm are more ideal focal lengths that will give you good close-ups and capture all or the vast majority of the corona.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 11:39:10 PM »

tpatana

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 12:57:13 AM »

Thanks.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning from Seattle. First east on I-90, then south from Yakima and hopefully we'll get to Madras in one piece before Monday morning.

Funnily enough, I don't care too much for the eclipse part, my main goal is to get the corona during totality. 3 bodies, 2 on tripod and fun backup for funsies. Must remember to tape up all viewfinders as it's in muscle memory to lift the camera up to eye-level. I'm planning to review the pics with my own eyes the next day.

Mt Spokane Photography

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 01:17:59 AM »

Thanks.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning from Seattle. First east on I-90, then south from Yakima and hopefully we'll get to Madras in one piece before Monday morning.

Funnily enough, I don't care too much for the eclipse part, my main goal is to get the corona during totality. 3 bodies, 2 on tripod and fun backup for funsies. Must remember to tape up all viewfinders as it's in muscle memory to lift the camera up to eye-level. I'm planning to review the pics with my own eyes the next day.

Keep a eye on the smoke maps, Madras is awfully close to some heavy smoke.  You might have to drive North that morning to get out of it.

Same story for Eastern Oregon, smoke is some areas, clear in others.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 01:17:59 AM »