November 25, 2017, 01:18:19 AM

Author Topic: Multiple APS-C Sensor PowerShot Cameras Coming? [CR2]  (Read 8859 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Multiple APS-C Sensor PowerShot Cameras Coming? [CR2]
« on: September 07, 2017, 08:26:54 AM »
We know that the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III will be coming soon, though an exact date is unknown. One of the big changes rumoured in the new G1 X is the use of a 24mp APS-C sized sensor instead of the 1.5″ in the current G1 X.

We’re being told that there will be more APS-C sized sensor PowerShot cameras coming and that the G1 X Mark III is first, and then we’ll get a G3 X Mark II and a G5 X Mark II. The source is not sure if the smaller G series PowerShot cameras like the G9 X and G7 X will move to APS-C.

There was no mention as to whether or not the new PowerShot cameras would get 4K recording, which is something we obviously get asked a lot. Our hunch on the topic? I think Canon has to add 4K to at least a few of the models.

As you can see on our buyer’s guide, the upper end of the PowerShot G series lineup is starting to look quite long-in-the-tooth.

More to come…

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:38:12 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Multiple APS-C Sensor PowerShot Cameras Coming? [CR2]
« on: September 07, 2017, 08:26:54 AM »

Sharlin

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: Multiple APS-C Sensor PowerShot Cameras Coming? [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
Oh my. If the first APS-C body from Canon to get 4K turns out to be a PowerShot? I expect some people are going to explode  :o

MintChocs

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:58:35 AM »
4K !! No way, if they offer 4K then no one will buy their cine line or 5Dmkiv.  ;D. (Sarcasm)

jolyonralph

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:10:17 AM »
In order to maintain the same zoom range as the mark II that would mean a 15-75mm lens,  I wonder if we'll see something new then brought over to the EF-M range.

Maybe this will eventually be the new higher quality EF-M zoom as prophecy foretold as we have heard about before.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M5/M3, Sony A6000, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
Oh my. If the first APS-C body from Canon to get 4K turns out to be a PowerShot? I expect some people are going to explode  :o

I think that too, but how can they NOT at this point? While I personally don't care about 4K. From a marketing standpoint, it's getting to the point of incompetence.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:18:22 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

Maximilian

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • The dark side - I've been there
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 09:16:30 AM »
I can understand that Canon is moving those pro/enthusiast cameras upmarket.
Better IQ and customers willing to pay more for that improvement.
I was wondering before what kind of lens the G1 X III might get and how much bigger it will become

... The source is not sure if the smaller G series PowerShot cameras like the G9 X and G7 X will move to APS-C...
To me this is out of discussion. I'd expect them to stay at 1" sensors.
G9 X and G7 X live from their size: as small as possible with good optics and good IQ.
I would be very surprised to those with APS-C. And if so I would expect lenses the same size but then with worse optical data (FL/aperture/IQ).

Only reason to do so would be to use self-made sensors instead of the 1" ones of Sony.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:24:48 AM by Maximilian »
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 09:30:32 AM »
I wonder how they'll deal with heat generation if 4K is included. Bigger sensor, small body, this could be a problem, right? (Disclaimer: I gather this entirely from what I've read, I have no direct experience of Powershots or 4K).
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 09:30:32 AM »

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »
I wonder how they'll deal with heat generation if 4K is included. Bigger sensor, small body, this could be a problem, right? (Disclaimer: I gather this entirely from what I've read, I have no direct experience of Powershots or 4K).

The may expect the average user won't make long videos shooting from a rigged camera on tripod or other support. I guess the batter would also cut them short too...

djack41

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »
Wow, these cameras will be real competition for my iPhone.

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

It would not surprise me in the least.... Quite often, features are introduced on lower end models, probably because they have shorter update cycles.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Chaitanya

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »
Would be perfect to replace my smartphone and Rx100 series camera if it does shoot 4k without that over bloated MJPEG format. Won't mind waiting to find a good deal on used market.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 10:09:10 AM »

It would not surprise me in the least.... Quite often, features are introduced on lower end models, probably because they have shorter update cycles.....

The PowerShot G7 X Mark II was the first camera to get Digic 7. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Sharlin

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »

The PowerShot G7 X Mark II was the first camera to get Digic 7.

True enough, although it isn't exactly a user-visible feature, and AFAIK it's not really well-known to which extent PowerShot and EOS DIGICs are comparable and how much "DIGIC" is just a marketing label.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »
powershots always get digic's first. probably beacuse, just as a guess, shorter product development times

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 10:33:26 AM »
We’re being told that there will be more APS-C sized sensor PowerShot cameras coming and that the G1 X Mark III is first, and then we’ll get a G3 X Mark II and a G5 X Mark II.

If the G5X Mark II receives an APS-C sensor with a 24-100 f/1.8-2.8 lens, it will explain why Canon is not interested in releasing fast lenses for their APS-C MILC bodies. Sounds very enticing to me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 10:33:26 AM »