December 12, 2017, 07:09:06 PM

Author Topic: M6 problem or is it me?  (Read 4476 times)

josephandrews222

• EOS M5
Re: M6 problem or is it me?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 10:40:51 PM »
Same issue here (too).

On my M6, the (top) exposure compensation dial is definitely a bit stiffer than the (bottom) ISO (by default) dial.

I solved the 'problem' by reminding myself to use my thumb and my index finger in tandem to adjust for exposure compensation--if I attempt to use only my thumb (to adjust exposure), the upper dial is so stiff that if I adjust it with thumb only, I find that if I raise my thumb a bit to enable necessary torque (and avoid the lower ISO dial)...the exposure compensation moves by more the one detente (1/3rd of a stop)...and sometimes as much as three detentes.

Using thumb only, I can get exactly one detente in either direction if my thumb is more-or-less parallel to the back of the camera...but in this position the thumb can rather easily (and accidentally) turn the lower (ISO) knob.

The solution for me? Use thumb and index finger to adjust exposure compensation; the (by default) ISO knob seems to be clearly designed for thumb-only use.

I wonder if this makes sense to anybody...a beer or three might make it easier to comprehend!
5DMkIII; 40D; M10, M2 & M; S95 + a dozen or so lenses & a half-dozen flashes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 10:40:51 PM »

Tyroop

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 02:58:28 AM »
Sorry, I didn't realise that this thread was still active. As Neuro says, that dial is quite stiff and even after disabling it I still had a problem. A few weeks ago I was in Vietnam doing a lot of street photography and there were still times when I found the ISO had changed from Auto to a fixed value.

At times I found it on ISO 100, 640 and 800. These shots were still usable, but while walking around the My Son ruins I had the problem again. As I was leaving I took a series of shots and they were all taken at ISO 25,600.

I had the camera on a strap around my neck with it still switched on and I started to wonder if the ISO was being changed via the touch screen as the camera bounced on my body. I did my best to try to reproduce the problem, but I can't.

I have re-enabled the dial at the top because now I don't think it is the problem, but I still don't know what is causing the problem. I love the camera, but this issue is annoying.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 02:58:28 AM »