November 25, 2017, 03:04:37 AM

Author Topic: Landscapde filters and systems  (Read 2607 times)

Valvebounce

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Doing my best to get all of this to work together.
Re: Landscapde filters and systems
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 04:21:14 AM »
Hi Pippan.
Hmmm, (that's the sound of the gears whirring as I think about this) we have auto darkening welding helmets using LCD tech that can be adjusted for darkness to accommodate lower or higher welding brightness due to different power settings. Now all we need is some electronics to read the scene from the live view connected via the HDMI interface then apply the power to the LCD via some sort of algorithm, instant ND filters that fit the skyline. Of course in the early iterations you would need to use a tripod, but as the tech evolves it will be able to be used hand held!  ;D

Cheers, Graham.

I believe for antelope canyon a big stick to beat off other photographers is more useful than graduated filters.
Enjoy it anyway.
Those custom pyramidal grad filters sound like a great idea.
You could custom ones for different famous locations. An El Capitan shape, an Antelope canyon shape, a Torre Del Paines shape, a zebra striped one for lavender fields, ones for major waterfalls that are sort of t-shaped, Eiffel Tower shaped hole in the filter.
You pick your landmark and the post out the correct filter shape.
Post? That's so 20th Century. We need cameras that analyse bright areas of a scene and have a mechanism to temporarily darken those areas on the lens's front element.
7DII+Grip, 1DsIII, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 1.4xIII, 2xIII, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, YN600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT, Filters, Remotes, Macro tubes, Tripods, heads etc!

1DsIII, 20D, 24-105, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 04:21:14 AM »

basketballfreak6

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 05:59:49 PM »
i started on cokin, then moved onto the expensive lee and singh ray, but if i were to start today i'd easily go full nisi

imho best implementation of holder/cpl system to date, really high quality filters that are basically cast free(my singh ray 4 stop reverse grad has quite noticeable magenta cast, lee higher stop nd has blue cast particularly 10 stop where it's quite heavy blue cast), nisi filters are all glass as well unlike the resin filters used in lee and singh ray reverse/grad nd, and is cheaper than the other 2

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 07:50:54 PM »

FYI that my preferred on-lens filter company, B+W, is making moves in the landscape space as well:

https://m.dpreview.com/news/0532560284/b-w-releases-filter-holder-for-100mm-filter-system

- A

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
    • flickr
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 02:33:08 AM »
I'm Lee (100mm system + rectangular filters) and B+W (anything circular) in my landscape setup.

For all three of those destinations, you are going to be saddled with erratic horizons between the rocks and sky.  Zion Canyon in particular is a hot mess for this.  So my ND grads did not come out of my bag at Zion once when I went last year.  See attached -- these are hiking handheld single exposures heavily heavily massaged in post, but it should give you an idea of the contrast management challenge Zion represents.

I've not done AC or MV myself, but I believe a similar phenomenon will exist:  compositions there likely will have glaringly bright light in odd shapes in 'difficult to grad' positions.  In those circumstances, composition permitting, capturing multiple shots and compositing in post is preferable over fighting through grad use.

A CPL is a hammerlock must for skies or water reflections so I always bring multiple ones -- one for traditional on-lens use (77mm B+W Kaesemann) and another much larger 105mm CPL (also B+W) to screw-in in front of my Lee holder setup.

As for NDs, I only use them for waterfalls or cloud motion and they don't come out that often, but MV would scream for an ND if you get some clouds*.  I either rely on the natural 2-ish stop I get from a CPL or go big with a 10 stop.  Others prefer to season NDs to taste based on what they are trying to do compositionally.   

*From a landscaper friend of mine and occasional poster here:  http://www.astro-landscapes.com/monument-valley-sunrise-long-exposure-copy/

As for warming / color cast filters, I defer to the forum as I do not use them.

- A

That second shot is so very nice! :)
I can't list my gear. I'm too ashamed. Everything I have is crippled and obsolete.

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 03:36:32 AM »
I believe for antelope canyon a big stick to beat off other photographers is more useful than graduated filters.
Enjoy it anyway.
Those custom pyramidal grad filters sound like a great idea.
You could custom ones for different famous locations. An El Capitan shape, an Antelope canyon shape, a Torre Del Paines shape, a zebra striped one for lavender fields, ones for major waterfalls that are sort of t-shaped, Eiffel Tower shaped hole in the filter.
You pick your landmark and the post out the correct filter shape.
Post? That's so 20th Century. We need cameras that analyse bright areas of a scene and have a mechanism to temporarily darken those areas on the lens's front element.

You don't even need that, just have some attenuation circuitry in the signal path from the pixel - you program in a response curve and record the image.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 03:36:32 AM »