December 16, 2017, 07:42:54 PM

Author Topic: Too Many Lenses  (Read 9318 times)

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
Re: Too Many Lenses
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 05:48:05 AM »
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Lens-o-holics Anonymous

Q: Am I an Lens-o-holic?

If you repeatedly buy more lenses than you intend or need to, if you get into trouble, or if you have memory lapses when you buy another lens, you may be a lens-o-holic. It's a matter of whether your lens buying habit is stopping you from leading the sort of life you want to lead. If you want to control your habit but can't, then lens-o-holism is a definite possibility. But as far as Lens-o-holics Anonymous is concerned whether you're a lens-o-holic is for you to decide. It's not up to anyone in Lens-o-holics Anonymous to tell you whether you are or not.

continue reading on :

http://www.aa.org.au/new-to-aa/frequently-asked-questions.php

Silly. No such thing as a Lens-O-holic. I can quit anytime I want to.  ;)
5D Mark III, Canon A-1, Voigtlander Vito, Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC, 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Helios 58 f/2 (x3), Canon FD 50 f/1.8, 600EX-RT (x7), Streaklight 360ws. Jumping ship to SoNikon any day now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 05:48:05 AM »

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 08:31:37 AM »
this:

... whether you're a lens-o-holic is for you to decide ...
  :D

Silly. No such thing as a Lens-O-holic. I can quit anytime I want to.  ;)

RGF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
do you have a dups?  Do you shoot both at the same time? or take the extra copy as a backup when traveling?

If you have dups for the sake of dups, then you may be too many lenses.  Otherwise NOT

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2017, 09:49:51 AM »
As my lens collection grows, I am forced to ask myself how many lenses is too many?
My wife thinks I am already way past that point, so what are your thoughts? At what point would you consider that you have too many lenses?

No such thing.  If you even consider "too many lenses", I suggest that you just don't spend enough time behind the camera. 

Problem solved.

Scott
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
  • You talk, I show... who do you believe?
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »
LF Schneider XLs indeed! also Rodenstock, or Sinar.
Then there are the co-opted lenses such as a EL Nikkor 80 mm for UV reflectance. And the Coastaloptics version, that I am contemplating. I do clean out the closet with stuff I don't use anymore. Almost all my C/Y Zeisses are gone (except the 16 mm F-Distagon), and replaced with EOS mount versions. But if it works, and I use it once in a blue moon, I keep it.
Don't know how many lenses I've rotated through; guess around 50 or so. I currently have about 13 SLR lenses (all primes), and about 7 LF (one is the Nikkor-T360/500/720 triple convertible) lenses, plus three stereomicroscope lenses, and five compound microscope lenses for my personal scopes.

So, your sickness runs deep.

In my house, the first rule is... we don't ever talk about the lenses or the cameras.

The second rule is WE DON'T EVER TALK ABOUT THE LENSES OR THE CAMERAS !!!!  ;)

When too many Canon lenses are talked about here I think... how cute.
I'm limping by with my current equipment... once I get that new lens with IS and blue goo... then I'll finally be able to go out and take my first decent picture...

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »
Are we talking about just Canon lenses? There is also Leica, Fuji, Pentax, and Mamiya. And I've just started on a selection of LF... Schneider-Kreuznach are a whole nother ball game.

Well crap.  You had to throw that out there.  I totally forgot about all my old 35mm gear and lenses.

Only 135 ?!?!! No LF or MF?  ;D
I'm limping by with my current equipment... once I get that new lens with IS and blue goo... then I'll finally be able to go out and take my first decent picture...

ethanz

• EOS 80D
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2017, 10:37:42 AM »

The wife- "Is that a new lens?"
Me- "no, just one I haven't used in a while".

Just hope she doesn't create an account on here, right?
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2017, 10:37:42 AM »

arthurbikemad

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2017, 10:43:38 AM »
Just this second ordered another one :D

This thread makes me feel better.

Zeidora

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2017, 10:54:15 AM »
Then there are the co-opted lenses such as a EL Nikkor 80 mm for UV reflectance. And the Coastaloptics version, that I am contemplating. I do clean out the closet with stuff I don't use anymore. Almost all my C/Y Zeisses are gone (except the 16 mm F-Distagon), and replaced with EOS mount versions. But if it works, and I use it once in a blue moon, I keep it.
Don't know how many lenses I've rotated through; guess around 50 or so. I currently have about 13 SLR lenses (all primes), and about 7 LF (one is the Nikkor-T360/500/720 triple convertible) lenses, plus three stereomicroscope lenses, and five compound microscope lenses for my personal scopes.

In my house, the first rule is... we don't ever talk about the lenses or the cameras.

We're a DANKs household, so two science PhDs, no issues with "toys". And I make figures for her papers "nice". Get a lot of milage out of that :-)
Re Canon lenses, they are the minority in my line-up (TSE17/24, MPE65, 180M, 300/2.8 IS). The good ones are Zeiss (F16 C/Y, 15, 21, 25, 35, 100 Classic, 55 Otus) and the EL Nikkor 80.
5D2 full spectrum, 5DsR, a bunch of Zeiss (some other) primes, for documentary natural history, macro, and micro.

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2017, 11:23:04 AM »

We're a DANKs household, so two science PhDs, no issues with "toys". And I make figures for her papers "nice". Get a lot of milage out of that :-)
Re Canon lenses, they are the minority in my line-up (TSE17/24, MPE65, 180M, 300/2.8 IS). The good ones are Zeiss (F16 C/Y, 15, 21, 25, 35, 100 Classic, 55 Otus) and the EL Nikkor 80.

Ahh, same here... PhD in Biochemistry and wife has PhD in CS. I no longer work in the industry (worked in a startup and fortunately it worked) but wife is in cyber-security.

And Canon is by no means a majority in my house, it is what I use for business (portrait/wedding). Leica is actually a close second to all MF lenses. Analog is starting to rule the house these days as I have the ability to take my time now (love the darkroom). Whats old is becoming new again !

GlynH

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Lens-o-holics Anonymous

Q: Am I an Lens-o-holic?

Not me.

I've been collecting Canon lenses for 40 years and I ain't hooked! :)

-=Glyn=-

KeithBreazeal

• EOS 5DS R
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »
I may have some kind of camera affliction, but never too many lenses.
Some of my old stuff.  I'm tempted to take the Argus C3 out for a walk some day.  I used it a lot back in the early 60's.  My wife has a few Pentax bodies and several lenses that date back to the 70's.  I sold off all by medium format gear when I got into video. 

Old cameras of mine by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr 
Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 5DS, 5D Mark III, Canon M5, 7D, SL-1, Canon 300L 2.8, 100-400L IS, 70-200L IS, 24-105L, 10-22mm, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8

takesome1

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2017, 01:16:01 PM »
You have to many lenses, when you consider upgrading lenses you never use to the latest, newest version.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2017, 01:16:01 PM »

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »

Ahh, same here... PhD in Biochemistry and wife has PhD in CS. I no longer work in the industry (worked in a startup and fortunately it worked) but wife is in cyber-security.

And Canon is by no means a majority in my house, it is what I use for business (portrait/wedding). Leica is actually a close second to all MF lenses. Analog is starting to rule the house these days as I have the ability to take my time now (love the darkroom). Whats old is becoming new again !

Classic cases pf PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »

Classic cases pf PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper.

So jealous... you can't handle it. Let me guess Liberal arts? Or none because your comment reflects a certain degree or lack of education...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »