November 23, 2017, 10:07:13 AM

Author Topic: The Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM Has Started Shipping in North America  (Read 16599 times)

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: The Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM Has Started Shipping in North America
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 08:52:05 PM »
LSXPhotog, as you suggested "... The Sigma may have back-focused slightly in this shot.." and it happens a lot for you apparently. if that is consistent then you need to AFMA your lens properly, I mean properly.
 there is no point in comparing of Sigma OOF shots with Canon in focus shots. can you please take couple of shots in Live View mode. thanks.
p.s. in Axial CA example Sigma is definitely out of focus. back focused again. there is a tell tale sign when it does. and Sigma is actually significantly worse in your example. just so that you are aware.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:00:07 PM by SecureGSM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 08:52:05 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2017, 09:12:22 PM »
LSXPhotog, as you suggested "... The Sigma may have back-focused slightly in this shot.." and it happens a lot for you apparently. if that is consistent then you need to AFMA your lens properly, I mean properly.
 there is no point in comparing of Sigma OOF shots with Canon in focus shots. can you please take couple of shots in Live View mode. thanks.
p.s. in Axial CA example Sigma is definitely out of focus. back focused again. there is a tell tale sign when it does. and Sigma is actually significantly worse in your example. just so that you are aware.

That is kind of a dumb attitude, one to tell somebody who clearly knows what they are doing to AFMA "I mean properly", two to think he hasn't already done that, and three, why? If those are the results he personally is getting with his gear then those are relevant comparisons, at the very least, for him.

You keep banging on about how brilliant your Sigma is for AF, there are dozens of people who say theirs isn't. If you rely on AF then take the comparison images with AF, what use is a lens twice as sharp if it won't AF reliably?
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:56 PM »
Pbd,

according to LSXPhotogs words, his Sigma 95 does back focus alot. it that is a consistent behaviour, then the lens is out of tune. simple logic. the results he is getting are likely due to the lens requires AFMA,

there are many and many local photogs that come to me are unhappy about their Sigma lens producing out of focus images alot and walking out completely satisfied.

photographers are good at taking photos and not necessarily at lens calibration. in fact many would not have a clue.

with Canon lens it is much easier to get the lens in tune right. with Sigma it is a loooooong and boring process. it has to be done at all 4 distances and once done 85A will focus consistently for you.

here. statistically proven AF consistency report. 54 shots, one after another.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QrtuQdT3Zm2eagtjt2K7g5_V8AwkA4ix

p.s. there is no need for me to think twice if the lens is back focused in sample images provided. the characteristics of CA patern evidently suggest that lens has back focused indeed.

p.s.2 i suggested live view mode comparison just to avoid AFMA routine for SIGMA for the moment. 

That is kind of a dumb attitude, one to tell somebody who clearly knows what they are doing to AFMA "I mean properly", two to think he hasn't already done that, and three, why? If those are the results he personally is getting with his gear then those are relevant comparisons, at the very least, for him.

You keep banging on about how brilliant your Sigma is for AF, there are dozens of people who say theirs isn't. If you rely on AF then take the comparison images with AF, what use is a lens twice as sharp if it won't AF reliably?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:44:39 PM by SecureGSM »

LSXPhotog

• EOS M5
    • Kevin DiOssi Photography
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2017, 09:44:30 PM »

My Sigma 85mm Art has LIVED on the USB dock for better parts of the year. When I got the lens, it seemed to be pretty damn spot on, so I didn't touch it. After my first long race event shooting with it, I had several shots that were off. So I spent a good portion of time getting it dialed in with a FoCal Lens Cal target and it was working really well. Then, after a month or two, it suddenly seemed that I wasn't getting sharp focus again, so I put it back on. Rinse and repeat. I've been doing this every few months and I'm basically done with this lens in general as a result of the autofocus. The only thing consistent about it is its inconsistency. There's no rhyme or reason to when and where or what focus distance it will miss on, the lens misses. Also understand that I'm very strict on what I consider "acceptable" and throw away anything where a nose is sharp, but the eyes aren't.

Tomorrow I plan to do more tests with the lens. For determining critical sharpness, I will indeed be using live view. But in the real world, I don't walk around like a dink using live view to photograph professional work - is use it here and there, but I shoot 95+% of my work through the viewfinder...

I really don't understand why you're defending Sigma so much? I have owned the 50mm Art and 85mm Art since the day they came out. They're truly incredible pieces of glass, but for what I do and how I use gear, I can't keep the 85mm in my bag. The 50mm I use for isolated detail work and occasional portraits where it works just fine. But 85mm is too important.
- Kevin
1DX Mk II/5D Mk IV/SL2/M5 - 5x Flashpoint XPLOR 600s
Primes: EF 40mm f/2.8| Sigma 50 Art | Canon 85mm f/1.4L | EF 100L Macro | EF 135L | Zooms: EF 16-35 f2.8L III | EF 24-70mm II f/2.8L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L

LSXPhotog

• EOS M5
    • Kevin DiOssi Photography
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
To correct you, I said it back-focused and that it happens often with the lens. But it is not a consistent behavior, it's consistent for the lens to occasionally go wacky and miss. The next 5-6 shots will be perfect, then it will be off. There is no way to dial out autofocus that is inconsistent. I have this thing pretty damn near perfection with the amount of time I've spent with it - even sending it into Sigma to have checked. Sigma, or Tamron for that matter, just can't create a lens that's as consistent as native Canon. This is speaking from my experience.
- Kevin
1DX Mk II/5D Mk IV/SL2/M5 - 5x Flashpoint XPLOR 600s
Primes: EF 40mm f/2.8| Sigma 50 Art | Canon 85mm f/1.4L | EF 100L Macro | EF 135L | Zooms: EF 16-35 f2.8L III | EF 24-70mm II f/2.8L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2017, 09:54:30 PM »
LSXPhotog,

you sounds like a very reasonable person. thank you for your input and clarification.

the focus drift issue you are referring to I cannot comment about as i do not have much clients coming back for a second AFMA run. it may well be the case due to the lens being such a behemoth. I actually would like to thank you for this information. it is great to know.
you are absolutely correct. you cannot afford adjusting and re adjusting the lens so many times. this behaviour alone negates the whole purpose of owning the Sigma. I totally appreciate what you are saying. the point is taken.

My Sigma 85mm Art has LIVED on the USB dock for better parts of the year. When I got the lens, it seemed to be pretty damn spot on, so I didn't touch it. After my first long race event shooting with it, I had several shots that were off. So I spent a good portion of time getting it dialed in with a FoCal Lens Cal target and it was working really well. Then, after a month or two, it suddenly seemed that I wasn't getting sharp focus again, so I put it back on. Rinse and repeat. I've been doing this every few months and I'm basically done with this lens in general as a result of the autofocus. The only thing consistent about it is its inconsistency. There's no rhyme or reason to when and where or what focus distance it will miss on, the lens misses. Also understand that I'm very strict on what I consider "acceptable" and throw away anything where a nose is sharp, but the eyes aren't.

Tomorrow I plan to do more tests with the lens. For determining critical sharpness, I will indeed be using live view. But in the real world, I don't walk around like a dink using live view to photograph professional work - is use it here and there, but I shoot 95+% of my work through the viewfinder...

I really don't understand why you're defending Sigma so much? I have owned the 50mm Art and 85mm Art since the day they came out. They're truly incredible pieces of glass, but for what I do and how I use gear, I can't keep the 85mm in my bag. The 50mm I use for isolated detail work and occasional portraits where it works just fine. But 85mm is too important.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:43:09 PM by SecureGSM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2017, 01:50:43 AM »
Exactly why I will never buy a Sigma again, af wise you never know if it will work or not. And even worse, like my last 50, it can work for 5-6 months then start to drift and miss. I can tell from my shutter count I don’t own Sigma anymore, lol , endless testing to try to make sense of something that doesn’t make sense.
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2017, 01:50:43 AM »

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2017, 02:02:09 AM »
pure gold.  :D

I can tell from my shutter count I don’t own Sigma anymore, lol , endless testing to try to make sense of something that doesn’t make sense.

Wedding Shooter

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2017, 03:32:17 AM »
The Sigma may have backfocused slightly in this shot, but...that happens a lot with that lens.

I don't see Sigma backfokusing as the marked areas (that are behind the front of the sign) in this case should sharper with the sigma. But they are not.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:06:37 AM by Wedding Shooter »

raptor3x

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2017, 04:57:25 AM »

Anybody who says something is "statistically proven" understands neither statistics nor inductive reasoning.
Bodies: X-T1, E-M1, E-M1ii, Pen-F Lenses:  µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 17 1.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, Z 150 2.0, µ.Z 300 4.0

SecureGSM

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2017, 05:04:14 AM »
it is the latter and for an obvious reason. all the numbers are in the report. you are welcome to download slice and dice it the way you want. you are also welcome to spend and hour or two yourself doing an alternative tests in your own time and get your own result. that would be a better service to community rather than picking up on words used.

p.s. Canon 35 F1.4 II Consistency of Focus test results are better and are in vicinity of 99.1%-99.8% just to put this into perspective. these are the highest numbers for CoF of any lens model i have ever tested.

Anybody who says something is "statistically proven" understands neither statistics nor inductive reasoning.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:20:24 AM by SecureGSM »

Kanelbulle

• Canonflex
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2017, 10:07:32 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'd like to bring some factual data to the emotional discussion that is taking place on this thread: renowned French photography website Focus Numérique just released a head-to-head test between the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art and the Canon EF 85mm f/1.4 IS and the results are the following:
- Build quality: Draw
- Image quality (sharpness): Sigma, which shows excellent homogeneity across the frame at all apertures. The Canon matches or slightly surpasses the Sigma in the center from f/2 onwards, but is always significantly behind on the edges
- Image quality (vignetting): Canon, which seems to be totally free of vignetting! The Sigma needs to be stopped down beyond f/2.8 to reach the same level
- Image quality (distorsion): Draw
- Feature (stabilisation): Canon, confirmed by real world tests to provide 3 stops benefit!
- Final Verdict: Canon! Mainly due to the addition of Image Stabilisation, which more than compensate the relative underperformance in terms of edge sharpness

https://www.focus-numerique.com/duel/dossiers/duel-canon-ef-85-mm-f-1-4-l-is-usm-vs-sigma-art-85-mm-f-1-4-dg-hsm-20991.html

I'm personally on the market for a fast 85mm prime lens, so I'm still going to wait for more reviews to come out - but so far, my vote goes for the Canon :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »
I'd like to bring some factual data to the emotional discussion that is taking place on this thread: renowned French photography website Focus Numérique just released a head-to-head test between the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art and the

Thanks for posting!  Interesting results... 

- Image quality (vignetting): Canon, which seems to be totally free of vignetting! The Sigma needs to be stopped down beyond f/2.8 to reach the same level

I was told the Sigma was vignetting-free and the Canon 85/1.4L IS has much worse vignetting.  Seems that I was lied to...   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »

Shane1.4

• EOS Rebel 300D
    • Shane Long Photography
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2017, 12:26:22 PM »
Just got notice that mine shipped from B&H. Scheduled to arrive Monday. Had the 85 1.2 for a few years, sold it for the Sigma. Optically I much preferred the Sigma but the size of it has caused me to leave it in my bag most of the day. I found that with the size of the Sigma I had to shoot at least at 1/250 of a second to keep the images sharp, and at wedding receptions I would like to use a slower shutter speeds. My most used weddings lenses are now my Canon 35L II and the Sigma 50 ART which in my experience have been nearly perfect. I am really excited for the size and IS on the 85 1.4. Hoping to do some comparison photos before I sell my Sigma next week.
5D Mark IV, 135L, 85 1.4 IS, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, 35L 1.4 II, 17-40L
www.shanelongphotography.com

danfaz

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
    • 1fineklick
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »

I was told the Sigma was vignetting-free and the Canon 85/1.4L IS has much worse vignetting.  Seems that I was lied to...   ::)

Um, my photos posted earlier clearly show a significant amount of vignette at 1.4 through 2.0 (not horrible looking, but it's there). At 2.8 it is almost gone. Am I missing something here?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »