November 22, 2017, 06:42:05 PM

Author Topic: When will we see a macro lens update?  (Read 1197 times)

Drainpipe

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • It's all about the little things.
    • Check out my Instagram!
Re: When will we see a macro lens update?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 10:31:56 AM »
One lens for everything is unrealistic.

Very true. I'm not asking for infinity focus, just .5x :)

Guess I'll have to start carting around my 100mm with the MP-E for the big ones. I'll have to devise a new flash and diffusion system as well  :P
Canon 5DII | MP-E 65mm 1x-5x f/2.8 | MT-24EX
My macro Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/macrobrice

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 10:31:56 AM »

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 10:40:26 AM »
There is NO OTHER field-usable >1X macro lens out there to compare with the MP-E. Laowa has made an infinity to 2x manual lens, I don't know how good it is. For studio work there are plenty of options using bellows and (purpose-made bellows lens, reversed high end enlarger lens, etc). But every insect photographer I know that works in the field, uses the MP-E and some flash apparatus with home-made diffuser. Bellows are too fragile for the field. Diffuser apparatus breaks? Just build another one for $2.00 worth of raw materials.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
There is NO OTHER field-usable >1X macro lens out there to compare with the MP-E.

Just to be pedantic, I've been quite able to use my EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS lens in the field, and it goes to 1.2x.   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

SkynetTX

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »
An EF-S 60mm f/2.8 IS USM would be a great update for handheld shooting. And we need an EF(-S) 250mm f/5.6 IS USM with a minimum focusing distance about 0.75 meters in case we physically can't get closer to the subject.

Drainpipe

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • It's all about the little things.
    • Check out my Instagram!
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »
There is NO OTHER field-usable >1X macro lens out there to compare with the MP-E. Laowa has made an infinity to 2x manual lens, I don't know how good it is. For studio work there are plenty of options using bellows and (purpose-made bellows lens, reversed high end enlarger lens, etc). But every insect photographer I know that works in the field, uses the MP-E and some flash apparatus with home-made diffuser. Bellows are too fragile for the field. Diffuser apparatus breaks? Just build another one for $2.00 worth of raw materials.

I tend to agree with this.

While I’m not discounting the EF-S line, to my knowledge there is no such thing as an EF-S L, or MP-E equivalent.
Canon 5DII | MP-E 65mm 1x-5x f/2.8 | MT-24EX
My macro Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/macrobrice

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »