December 13, 2017, 06:26:37 AM

Author Topic: Why I Switched from Sony to Canon by Armando Ferreira  (Read 8667 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Why I Switched from Sony to Canon by Armando Ferreira
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
Professional Armando Ferreira has done a video explaining why he switched from the Sony A7S II to the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV for video.

Canon seems to get hammered on the forums for a perceived “lack of innovation”, but here we have another professional that shoots mainly on Canon gear.

A few of the reasons Armando moved to Canon.

• Canon color
  • Dual Pixel AF
  • Menu system
  • The codec (Gah?!)
  • Native EF mount

Thanks Armando for sending this in and it’s nice to see some positive thoughts on Canon gear for video.

Full disclosure: I’m obviously a Canon fanboy, and I’m ok with that.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:57:40 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Why I Switched from Sony to Canon by Armando Ferreira
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »

Click

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
Re: Why I Switched from Sony to Canon by Armando Ferreira
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »
He makes the same points that others here make, the 5D MK IV is a very user friendly tool, you get excellent results, and the DPAF is a very good feature.  I like the touch to focus and use it whenever I can.  One of the big benefits is that the point I touch is exposure linked, so not only does the camera focus at the point I touch, but exposure is adjusted for that point as well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:06:56 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

Talys

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 12:26:12 PM »
Cool video!

A decade plus ago, I switched from Nikon to Canon because of the colors, too.  He hits most of the stuff that I care about -- menus, glass, battery life, universal nature of LP6 battery, dual pixel, how it's just easier and faster to get from what you shoot to a finished product, etc.

Interesting what he said about 4k video and clog, not that I'll ever care about video.

RGF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 01:52:28 PM »
finally a discussion of the end result (the image, the video) versus all the technical specs.

Besisika

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »
Cool video!
Interesting what he said about 4k video and clog, not that I'll ever care about video.
Everything he said is about video, if you don't care about video then what he said should not mean anything to you.

I would be more careful when someone says this is why I moved from this to this, whether it is from Canon to Sony, or Sony to Nikon or whatever. They say it because of what they use the gear for. If you take that as a guidance of which camera is better then you may end up eating false info, unless you shoot exactly what they do.
He wouldn't praise the Canon codec if he needs 60fps 4K.
I praise it because I use JPG frame grab, while my friend hates it because he has to buy expensive CFAST; you cannot even export the damn thing through HDMI.

horshack

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
Sony hasn't added PDAF to their A7s line yet - it's expected in the next iteration, probably announced in a few months at NAB. Here's how it compares to Canon's dual pixel AF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6HRmxKa9g

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »

woodman411

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 03:23:56 PM »
Another example of a pro who went from Sony to Canon: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59526785

OP is Sung Park at sungparkphotography.com

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 03:24:24 PM »
A few of the reasons Armando moved to Canon.

Canon color
Dual Pixel AF
Menu system
The codec
Native EF mount

I have been hammering Sony for their awful menu system. Sony fans claim I have not used Sony cameras extensively. Glad I am not the only one who thinks Sony's menu system totally s***s (same goes for their ergonomics).

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »
Sony hasn't added PDAF to their A7s line yet - it's expected in the next iteration, probably announced in a few months at NAB.

Ain't no matter. Without touchscreens, it does not matter how well Sony's PDAF works in the A7S line.

horshack

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 04:09:22 PM »
Sony hasn't added PDAF to their A7s line yet - it's expected in the next iteration, probably announced in a few months at NAB.

Ain't no matter. Without touchscreens, it does not matter how well Sony's PDAF works in the A7S line.

Why wouldn't Sony add a touchscreen to the next A7s? They've added it in every other of their MILC model refreshes.

leGreve

• EOS 80D
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • OmniFilm DK
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 04:39:23 PM »
Can someone help me.... who is he? And where can I see some of his "real" work that isn't just videos on gadgets on YT?

Is he one of those Peter McKinnon / "Travel Feels" types?

I mean people who are giving advice based on... well... nothing....

I don't see Robert Richardson or Roger Deakins making youtube videos, but at least those guys have some experience.

Mr Majestyk

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »
The video is pointless, he's preaching to the wrong group. None of the Sony fanboys will give two hoots about what he says. He's the equivalent of the one climate denying scientist to them. Canon's entered a point where the media aren't even listening anymore, nothing they do is really good enough now. They had better hope their mirrorless camera is brilliant or the trash we get now against them will be nothing to compared to what will happen if it's another feature lite, ho hum offering.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • You might have more or less gear
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 09:34:02 PM »
After using Oly for a while, Menus are HUUUUUGE. Thank you Canon for having the best menus.

dash2k8

• EOS M5
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 09:46:49 PM »
If you need 4k, this isn't even a topic (5D4's 4k is cropped). If you need to shoot in LOG, SLog is slightly better for color correction than 5D4's CLog, simply because 5D4's sensor isn't the same ones used in the C-series cameras.

I would pick the 5D4 for photo over the a7s2 any day, but I also would use the a7s2 for video over the 5D4 any day based on my own needs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 09:46:49 PM »