April 23, 2018, 03:57:20 PM

Author Topic: Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera  (Read 34046 times)

drjlo

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2018, 02:25:04 PM »
You know, I always wanted a Sony RX1R, and it's a good time to track down a used one at good price  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2018, 02:25:04 PM »

ahsanford

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • USM > STM
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2018, 02:25:10 PM »
Why GFX50? Cant understand it. Color? Noise? Controls?
Because the price point of the rumored rangefinder (and less expensive) version of the GFX 50S body may begin to encroach on the 5DsR (and future 5Ds Mk II) price point. Also once the 100S version is released in 2019, the 50S price will drop substantially. And the GF lenses are not any more expensive than Canon's best L lenses, yet they can resolve up to 100 MP.

I went on a mini rant about medium format's appeal to FF users recently: post 1 / post 2

In my mind, it's a very hard sell to FF users.  Many more takeaways than advantages, and the hotness the bigger sensor brings isn't that much hotter than what FF can deliver today.

I'm not saying that there is not benefit to MF -- leaf shutters and bigger sensors are not bad things at all.  But I feel one is walking away from so much more than they are walking towards in a FF --> MF conversation.

But a total agreement / +1 on the 100 MP arriving to change things there.  That's a clear selling point that FF will not have for some time.

- A

acekin

• Canonflex
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2018, 02:30:53 PM »
Here's my request list, and I really honestly would buy at least one of these immediately and use it to earn my livelihood (I'm an un-invited professional, but I figure they already know what I like, I've said so here lots of times!):

1) Please DON'T be compelled to stick to an EF mount!  This is an opportunity to optimize an entire system to a short flange-distance mount!  I know I'm going to rile up the "I've got a hundred old lenses I can't bear to use an adapter with" faction...  But to build-in permanent dead space for a non-existant mirror box is ludicrous.

2) Include an EF adapter!

3) A built-in viewfinder as in the Leica M9 or Hasselblad X1D, ie: no bump, or minimal if absolutely necessary.  It doesn't have to be centered on top.

4) A 4:3 aspect ration would be wonderful (without wasting cropped-out pixels) but I'd be happy with the ol' 2:3

5) Lots of resolution, like 5DS ballpark, no more than that is necessary.

6) I personally don't need blazing autofocus or burst rates, or video for that matter.  But that's just me.

7) This is a big one:  To go with, develop a razor sharp 20 mm or so TSE that will take front filters (or a built-in polarizer!). 

eight) No built-in flash. Wasted body volume for a camera that will have modern super-high ISOs.  Buy a real flash if you need one!

OK, I've probably pissed-off enough people--my apologies to the world.

(and Bean's idea of a dual-format body sounds great...)

In other words, create a 21st-century photography camera that does not get loaded with features that create hype, not benefits. Real innovation is in finding the real needs and satisfying them, not a smorgasbord of features that are at the fringes or provide no perceived benefits. Please, please, stick to the core photographic ideas and needs.

An optical viewfinder for at least a limited range of focal length will be truly innovative on a mirrorless camera, it is hard to replicate the view in an optical viewfinder. But, everything else articulated by Aaron D sound on the mark.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2018, 02:46:40 PM »
You know, I always wanted a Sony RX1R, and it's a good time to track down a used one at good price  ;)

Good luck with that.  The price for a new one has not budged from official resellers in 2+ years of time on the market.  It's a very 1%-er sort of product going after Leica dollars: "You know what this is and you are going to pay for it, Senator/Trust-funder/Kardashian/Celebrity Instagrammer/etc."

RX1R = A7R internals
RX1R II = A7R II internals

...is an RX1R III coming based on the A7R3?  Goodness knows Sony loves updating all of its RX1/10/100 cameras.

- A

crashpc

• EOS 80D
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2018, 04:07:39 PM »
Lenses and specialty stuff. Like larger resolution for macro work and other niches.

drjlo

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »

RX1R = A7R internals
RX1R II = A7R II internals

Small correction.  RX1R=A7 internals (24 MP) not A7R (36 MP). 

I already have A7R and FE 35 f/2.8 but always wished Sony made that Zeiss 35 f/2 lens detachable for FE mount instead.  I wish the FE 35 f/2.8 was a smidge sharper and smidge wider aperture, and the 35 f/1.4 is simply too big (and expensive) for portability. 

RGF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2018, 04:38:17 PM »
Interesting that ask Pros.  After all they will buy a few hundred copies.  While amateurs will drive the volume w/ 10,000s.  I guess numbers don't matter too much.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2018, 04:38:17 PM »

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2018, 04:52:08 PM »

I went on a mini rant about medium format's appeal to FF users recently: post 1 / post 2

In my mind, it's a very hard sell to FF users.  Many more takeaways than advantages, and the hotness the bigger sensor brings isn't that much hotter than what FF can deliver today.

People seem to forget that the 35mm camera pretty much killed medium format in it's day because it gave the photographer so many more advantages.  Today, with DSLRs available with high MP counts and medium format shrinking towards 35mm size, there is virtually no reason left to go medium format, in my opinion.  Sure there will always be an extreme fringe element that wants more than the typical pro who is using a DSLR.  Let other companies cater to the fringe.

SkynetTX

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2018, 05:07:34 PM »
Interesting that ask Pros.  After all they will buy a few hundred copies.  While amateurs will drive the volume w/ 10,000s.  I guess numbers don't matter too much.
+1
I love shooting beetles so I need a crop DSLR with a sensor that is able to decrease the diffraction effect at f/16 or smaller and has better noise performance than the currently existing ones. See my specifications of the 9000D. :)
On the other hand Pros can ask for features that amateurs will find useful as well.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2018, 05:07:43 PM »

Yes, but most amateurs will just want more green box modes :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

SkynetTX

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2018, 05:13:50 PM »
Yes, but most amateurs will just want more green box modes :)

+1
But do they really need a DSLR or mirrorless if they don't want to take the advantages of it? Except the IQ maybe?

gmon750

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2018, 08:05:05 PM »
I'd be happy with a well-engineered mirrorless version of the 5DM3 that lets me use my EF lenses.  I don't care much for all that fancy, detachable screen and 4K-video nonsense.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »
Small correction.  RX1R=A7 internals (24 MP) not A7R (36 MP). 

Spot on.  My memory failed me there.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Petitioning CRaig for a 135 f/1.8L IS moniker
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2018, 08:17:01 PM »

yes, asking experts...crazy notion.
EOS 5D3, EOS M5, some lenses

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »
People seem to forget that the 35mm camera pretty much killed medium format in it's day because it gave the photographer so many more advantages.  Today, with DSLRs available with high MP counts and medium format shrinking towards 35mm size, there is virtually no reason left to go medium format, in my opinion.  Sure there will always be an extreme fringe element that wants more than the typical pro who is using a DSLR.  Let other companies cater to the fringe.

That's the tenor of my rant (the current state of things, not the backstory).

MF can be successful, but I think it needs to fundamentally be better than just 'but it has leaf shutter lenses' or 'you need to have to shot this with film to see why it's so exciting for digital'.  All of those chats feel like a Leica rangefinder conversation that is more spiritual / philosophical than analytical.

In the end, the sensor (and the ability to get the most out of it) has to be worth the trouble of leaving the FF space for it.  50 MP + 1 stop more DR + the quick sync a leaf shutter brings isn't enough to walk away from so so so much that the FF ecosystem offers, IMHO.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »