July 19, 2018, 03:20:15 PM

Author Topic: We're Not Convinced an EOS 7D Mark III is Coming in 2018  (Read 17824 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
We're Not Convinced an EOS 7D Mark III is Coming in 2018
« on: January 11, 2018, 04:28:41 PM »
We sent this information out last week in our newsletter and we haven’t received any further clarity about the Canon EOS 7D Mark III.

There has been a lot of unfocused chatter about an EOS 7D Mark III recently, and in my experience, that’s not a good thing.

Our best source is telling us that they haven’t heard anything about an update to Canon’s flagship APS-C camera. That doesn’t mean one isn’t coming in 2018, but the earliest it would be coming is Q4 of 2018, and not the rumored first half of 2018 that we’ve been told previously and others keep reporting.

There’a always a possibility that Canon is changing the way they launch popular flagship products to try and make it harder for sites like this to leak information. Although I don’t think that highly of myself or that I would wield that much influence over Canon Inc.

We’ll keep you updated and we will resist posting about the EOS 7D Mark III until we get a better feeling about what is true and what isn’t.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

We're Not Convinced an EOS 7D Mark III is Coming in 2018
« on: January 11, 2018, 04:28:41 PM »

Yasko

• EOS Rebel 300D
Re: We're Not Convinced an EOS 7D Mark III is Coming in 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »
Ah, ok. Thanks4info.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:41:16 PM »
Re:  "There’a always a possibility that Canon is changing the way they launch popular flagship products to try and make it harder for sites like this to leak information. Although I don’t think that highly of myself or that I would wield that much influence over Canon Inc."

You are right, it's not this.  You guys generate and fan the flames of GAS.  Canon should love you -- it's not like you guys are offering a bounty to corporate/factory employees to sneak out major reveals like the cell phone folks do.

- A

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »
This news does not surprise me at all -- prior timing projections here:
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33734.msg695050#msg695050

Yes yes, the D500 was not around when Canon stretched out the 7D1 lifecycle years ago, so that's not an iron clad read of Canon's 'habits' in this segment.  But again, if Canon is not losing business to the D500 -- if the D500 is principally just getting picked up by Nikonians -- what's Canon's rush here?

Also, they may be launching something else to take up the spotlight this year -- 4K ILC camcorder, FF mirrorless fixed or ILC design, etc.

- A

C-FMST

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:43:57 PM »
 :'( That's too bad, because I wanted to buy one!

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:27:15 PM »
So how would a 7D3 be anything other than marginally better than a 7D2.....

More megapixels? More FPS? A slightly bigger buffer? WiFi?

Is this really enough of a reason to come out with a new model?

I would not be surprised in the least for the 7D3 to come out before the fall of 2019, and even then, I doubt that it would be enough of an improvement to tempt most 7D2 owners.... (7D owners, probably yes)
The best camera is the one in your hands

x-vision

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
My gut feeling is that the 7DIII announcement will be this year - and that it will preceded the 5DsII announcement with a couple of months.

Thus, if the 5DsII is announced at Photokina in September (which is not all that unlikely, IMO), then the 7DIII announcement will be in June.

Another possibility is that the 7DIII will be announced at Photokina, in which case the 5DsII will come in February 2019.

I definitely don't see a 90D until late 2019 the earliest.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »

Isaacheus

• EOS M5
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »

I would not be surprised in the least for the 7D3 to come out before the fall of 2019, and even then, I doubt that it would be enough of an improvement to tempt most 7D2 owners.... (7D owners, probably yes)

I can see enough improvements in most of canons other cameras to warrant an upgrade for the 7d2

Fps and buffer would be a start but the sensor is arguably behind the competition (d500 and 80d) depending on who you talk to.
Video could be improved, as could the rear look lcd, touch screen and tilting would be good.

More importantly though, af seems to be something that comes up in threads, giving it the 1dx2 af or better would be great.

Dual fast card slots
USB charging. Wifi, Bluetooth etc

I think adding most /all of these would be tempting for a number of people to upgrade

x-vision

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:09:22 PM »

I think we can expect similar differences as between the 5DIII and 5DIV: better sensor, some modern amenities, etc..

... I doubt that it would be enough of an improvement to tempt most 7D2 owners.... (7D owners, probably yes)

Agree.

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 07:19:22 PM »

I think there's a nontrivial percentage of people that think on-chip ADC is an entitlement that's long overdue for the 7D line.  How that magically lifts their ISO 3200 output while birding is lost on me.  ::)

(FTR, I think the 5DS camp -- esp. any landscape / studio / product people work at/near base ISO -- may have an argument for on-chip being something to look forward to, but not here with the 7D3)

But otherwise?  A 7D3 needs the latest AF (not a priority, but a fair expectation), more f/8 AF points and a touchscreen to go along with that DPAF.  The rest (MP/fps/throughput) is gravy, IMHO -- nice but really only a number to show progress over the 7D2.  It's not like a some 36 MP x 12 fps supercrop is coming.

- A

Isaacheus

• EOS M5
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:15 PM »

I think there's a nontrivial percentage of people that think on-chip ADC is an entitlement that's long overdue for the 7D line.  How that magically lifts their ISO 3200 output while birding is lost on me.  ::)

(FTR, I think the 5DS camp -- esp. any landscape / studio / product people work at/near base ISO -- may have an argument for on-chip being something to look forward to, but not here with the 7D3)

But otherwise?  A 7D3 needs the latest AF (not a priority, but a fair expectation), more f/8 AF points and a touchscreen to go along with that DPAF.  The rest (MP/fps/throughput) is gravy, IMHO -- nice but really only a number to show progress over the 7D2.  It's not like a some 36 MP x 12 fps supercrop is coming.

- A

I'd be surprised if Canon stuck with off sensor adcs for a pro body. I can't see it magically fixing high iso shots but it would help with lower iso noise?

Mostly though as the 80d has that tech and I could see an even bigger backlash than what was seen with the 6dmk2 if it was omitted

Andreasb

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 07:57:30 PM »
We DO need a better sensor, more DR, always need better AF, and a little better buffer would be nice, the Nikon D500 has all that and I think it would be in Canons interest to protect their revenue base and deliver it this year...

djack41

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 08:04:17 PM »
The 7D3 should at least get close to the performance and features of the D500, which is the new benchmark. The 7D2 is so dated. Canon should be embarrassed for its lack of innovation .

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 08:04:17 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 08:16:46 PM »
I'd be surprised if Canon stuck with off sensor adcs for a pro body. I can't see it magically fixing high iso shots but it would help with lower iso noise?

Mostly though as the 80d has that tech and I could see an even bigger backlash than what was seen with the 6dmk2 if it was omitted

Please don't mistake me -- the 7D3 will highly likely get on chip ADC or folks will go absolutely nuclear (even worse reactions than the 6D2, I think).

It's more the entitlement to an on-chip ADC sensor should force Canon to change its plans and bring the 7D3 out sooner.  That is not gonna happen.  The 7D3 will come out exactly when Canon wants it to. 

I've heard similar feature-set envy from the 5DS camp and they, too, just have to be patient.  Canon doesn't stay #1 in sales by frantically servicing the dreams of its customers -- they do it by sticking to the plan.

- A

dolina

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
Between 24 July 2019 & 24 July 2020.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »