June 23, 2018, 06:14:48 PM

Author Topic: Birdsasart migrates to Nikon  (Read 38570 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: Birdsasart migrates to Nikon
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2018, 09:36:51 AM »
He got dumped by Canon and this is his payback.  That's what happens when you're a sponsored photographer and the money dries up.  You feel compelled to give your old brand a public trashing.  It's like a quasi-religious conversion.  One day he wakes up and has an epiphany that the old "faith" was all wrong, and the new faith is the only true one.  The message to followers is:   take heed of the new faith.  If I were Canon I would have dumped him for his web site alone, if for nothing else.

What is it about internet forums that someone cannot simply change their minds? Why does it have to be 'payback' or 'public trashing'. The money dried up 4 years ago - he has taken a long time to get revenge.

Have you read any of the articles? Can you tell me where he 'trashed' Canon? Where has he said he was 'wrong'? Please be specific?

He well understands the game he is playing, he might win and he might lose, and he is being very careful about what he actually writes, but he is interested in generating web hits and traffic.

But anybody that can use a product in their profession for decades and then make a statement like "I tried and failed for decades to create images like this with my Canon gear" about such a comparatively simple image is playing a game.

Do you honestly believe a Canon camera could not take that image? Isn't saying it couldn't unless you had more skill than him, a vocal pro of decades experience, disingenuous? Doesn't that count as 'trashing'? It does in my book. I know I could easily take that image with my camera.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2018, 09:36:51 AM »

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2018, 09:54:37 AM »
He got dumped by Canon and this is his payback.  That's what happens when you're a sponsored photographer and the money dries up.  You feel compelled to give your old brand a public trashing.  It's like a quasi-religious conversion.  One day he wakes up and has an epiphany that the old "faith" was all wrong, and the new faith is the only true one.  The message to followers is:   take heed of the new faith.  If I were Canon I would have dumped him for his web site alone, if for nothing else.

What is it about internet forums that someone cannot simply change their minds? Why does it have to be 'payback' or 'public trashing'. The money dried up 4 years ago - he has taken a long time to get revenge.

Have you read any of the articles? Can you tell me where he 'trashed' Canon? Where has he said he was 'wrong'? Please be specific?

He well understands the game he is playing, he might win and he might lose, and he is being very careful about what he actually writes, but he is interested in generating web hits and traffic.

But anybody that can use a product in their profession for decades and then make a statement like "I tried and failed for decades to create images like this with my Canon gear" about such a comparatively simple image is playing a game.

Do you honestly believe a Canon camera could not take that image? Isn't saying it couldn't unless you had more skill than him, a vocal pro of decades experience, disingenuous? Doesn't that count as 'trashing'? It does in my book. I know I could easily take that image with my camera.

He admits that his BIF skills are not the highest, but says the D5 makes it easier for him - not that the Canon cannot do it but that in his hands the Canon does not do it as reliably. I have read enough people who use both systems say the same thing about Nikon AF tracking that I have confidence he is right.

The guy is no longer a EoL, he made it clear that he could afford to sell all his Canon gear at fire-sale prices and still afford the Nikon gear (if indeed he bought it - I am not sure at this time if he is sponsored by Nikon). So if he wants to try something different good luck to him. If I could afford 2 high-class systems to compare them I would as well, and I would probably mention it on this forum.

People are ascribing motives like 'revenge' and 'payback' because he blogged it. The fact is he makes a lot of income through his bog (including advertising his trips) and on blogs people keep their followers updated on changes in their lives. Big deal.

privatebydesign

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2018, 10:11:42 AM »

He admits that his BIF skills are not the highest, but says the D5 makes it easier for him - not that the Canon cannot do it but that in his hands the Canon does not do it as reliably. I have read enough people who use both systems say the same thing about Nikon AF tracking that I have confidence he is right.

The guy is no longer a EoL, he made it clear that he could afford to sell all his Canon gear at fire-sale prices and still afford the Nikon gear (if indeed he bought it - I am not sure at this time if he is sponsored by Nikon). So if he wants to try something different good luck to him. If I could afford 2 high-class systems to compare them I would as well, and I would probably mention it on this forum.

People are ascribing motives like 'revenge' and 'payback' because he blogged it. The fact is he makes a lot of income through his bog (including advertising his trips) and on blogs people keep their followers updated on changes in their lives. Big deal.

You asked "Can you tell me where he 'trashed' Canon? Where has he said he was 'wrong'? Please be specific?"

I showed you.

Anybody that can say a Canon camera couldn't take that image with decades of experience is lying. In that one statement he trashed Canon, but he did it in a way it can be claimed he is being humble or non derogatory, put in the context of his experience it is nothing but a cheap shot.

It's funny because there is another wildlife photographer I respect way more the Morris who went the other way. Andy Rouse, who made his name as a wildlife photographer and now does aviation as well. Years ago he was a Canon shooter but had a massive and very public falling out with them over his 1D MkIII AF issues so he moved, very acrimoniously and publicly to Nikon. After testing a 1DX and the latest super teles for some of his workshop attendees he swapped back to Canon specifically because the AF for moving wildlife images was so much more accomplished than the Nikon equivalent.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:18:07 AM by privatebydesign »
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

privatebydesign

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »
P.S. Don't forget we are talking about a pelican on take off here, not a raptor in open flight with a camouflaged and confusing background, or an erratic song bird darting between branches!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 10:47:18 AM »

I'd agree with the above (although I'm not sure it rises to the level of trashing, but it's certainly disingenuous).  I've had plenty of success shooting BIF on a Canon gear, and I'm far from an expert.  Especially given that it's a picture of a pelican – given their typical flight pattern, I wouldn't consider them a particularly difficult BIF subject.  If he showed a series of in-focus shots of flying swallows, I'd be more inclined to believe him...

I noticed that he complains of Canon cameras frequently shifting to focus on the background instead of the bird.  Here's an example from several years ago (full image and 100% crop), one of a series of shots where the camera tracked the dark grackle just fine as it passed over alternating light and dark patches of forest.  Not a great image becuase of the high noise (it was a 7D at ISO 2000).

Incidentally, the lens used was that quintessential briding lens, the 85mm f/1.2L II.  ;)

Exactly – he makes money off his blog.  Why is the newest camera, regardless of manufacturer, touted by the likes of Northrup and Rockwell?  Because click-though purchases mean income.  If that revenue stream has been drying up of late for Morris, pushing his fans/followers to switch from Canon to Nikon could be rather lucrative.  Not 'revenge' or 'payback'...

EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

Refurb7

• EOS M5
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »

He talks about his Canon getting 50% of shots out of focus.  And he presents the pelican shot as being near impossible for Canon.  Really?  That pelican taking off from the ground, because a waive hit?!!  The system he promoted for years is now somehow so crummy that it can't do even basic things.  That sounds like a trashing to me.    I'm not naive enough to believe that nonsense.

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 11:14:45 AM »
Both he and Hazeghi are saying that Canon is still great for static shots but Nikon wins for BIF.  The Nikon AF on the D5 and D500 does have an incredible reputation.  But, to sell all of ones Canon gear in a self-proclaimed fire sale stretches incredulity.  If one believed that Canon was better in a large set of aspects and one hadn't a long experience with Nikon, the seemingly rational solution is to buy a Nikon and lens, try it out for an extended period and then phase in to Nikon and sell off not at fire sale prices.  As it is, they appear to have ditched their Canon gear for a Nikon and one lens each.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 11:14:45 AM »

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »

It's a ridiculous statement.  You could take that photo with a t2i... or a 30 year old film camera.

I mean, seriously, what do you need to take it?  The right focal length/aperture.  A fast-ish shutter.  A camera.

Photographing waterfowl taking of a rock requires a camera with enough reach... and the rest of it is just an exercise of getting to the right spot so that you get good lighting while the bird is on the rock, and patiently waiting for the bird to move and then click click click click click.  It isn't magic, and if anything, big, slow-moving waterfowl is way, way easier to capture launches of, then, say, little songbirds.

Both he and Hazeghi are saying that Canon is still great for static shots but Nikon wins for BIF.

It's perfectly fair for him to assert that on a Nikon he gets him more in-focus shots (not that this is necessarily the case for others, of course).  But it's pretty hard to believe his claim that despite trying for decades, for he's never been able to get an in-focus profile shot of a pelican launching from a rock.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:28:58 AM by Talys »

Mikehit

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 11:38:52 AM »

You asked "Can you tell me where he 'trashed' Canon? Where has he said he was 'wrong'? Please be specific?"

I showed you.

Anybody that can say a Canon camera couldn't take that image with decades of experience is lying. In that one statement he trashed Canon, but he did it in a way it can be claimed he is being humble or non derogatory, put in the context of his experience it is nothing but a cheap shot.

So the part where he said "Do understand that many others, more skilled than I, have made images with their Canon gear." (that quote is above the picture you cut into this thread) didn't register?
It is quite clear he is blaming himself but finds that Nikon makes it easier. I think ascribing 'cheap shots' to a quite clearly stated reason is really pushing it.
By your reckoning 'I prefer Range Rover for its ability to travel over rough ground and carry the dogs' is a cheap shot aimed at Jeeps.

Mikehit

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 11:40:27 AM »

And he presents the pelican shot as being near impossible for Canon.

No he doesn't.
You can get perfectly sharp portraits at a party with a Canon but some people bought Sony because the eye AF makes it easier. Doesn't mean Canon is a bad camera.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 11:47:20 AM »
It is quite clear he is blaming himself but finds that Nikon makes it easier. I think ascribing 'cheap shots' to a quite clearly stated reason is really pushing it.
By your reckoning 'I prefer Range Rover for its ability to travel over rough ground and carry the dogs' is a cheap shot aimed at Jeeps.

It's a pelican taking off from a rock.  To properly apply your analogy, what he said was 'Many other drivers, more skilled than I, have managed to drive their Jeeps from their house to the grocery store, but I've never been able to do that after driving Jeeps for 20 years.  However, 10 minutes after getting behind the wheel of a Range Rover, I was happily at the store buying bread and milk.'

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »
One huge reason to switch would be a promise of first-in-line technical support from Nikon for repairs, loaners, pre-release access to lenses and bodies, and so on. He may be named to the Nikon equivalent of EoL in the future. If Canon dropped him as EoL for whatever reason, he would lose the extra-special service he had become used to, and that support could be highly useful when giving workshops.

I agree that the claim that the pelican was a hard shot unobtainable with recent Canon gear is ludicrous. That's a shot I could get with my 60D and EF 400 f/5.6 L no-IS. Planning! And BIF takes continual practice.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »
Quote from: Art Morris on Jan 24, 2018
I tried and failed for decades to create images like this with my Canon gear.

This image was created on January 22 at La Jolla, CA with the hand held Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens (at 440mm) and the blazingly fast professional digital camera body, the Nikon D5 DSLR camera body with dual XQD slots).

Quote from: Art Morris on Jan 19, 2018
More on my 1DX II:
There is, however, no denying the killer accurate AF.

This image was created on Day one of the first San Diego IPT — the morning of Monday, January 15 at La Jolla, CA. I used the hand held Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens (at 200mm) and the blazingly fast Canon EOS-1D X Mark II. ISO 800.

So, in 5 days he went from taking sharp pictures of pelicans in flight with the killer accurate AF of a Canon camera, to taking sharp pictures of pelicans in flight with a Nikon camera...after failing for decades to take that sort of picture with Canon cameras.

Sure thing, Artie.  That makes perfect sense.   ::)

No,  ::) is not nearly adequate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »

scyrene

• My Flickr feed
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2018, 12:28:50 PM »
I suppose it's human nature, but I don't know why people need to be so extreme in their opinions (regarding the guy who switched). I don't trust anyone who raves about products without finding any faults, not just because I feel they are more likely to be (more) biased, but also because they tend to be more likely in my experience to flip their opinion. It reminds me of those people who are very visibly *in love* (in British parlance, 'lovey-dovey'), posting lots of nauseating stuff about how in love they are, how their partner is perfect, etc, and especially how their exes were terrible. You just know that when they break up, they will suddenly have nothing good to say about the person who they previously idolised - both can't be true, and indeed it's most likely neither position is really fair. In this case, the Nikon setup is perfect, whereas before he (apparently?) sung Canon's praises. I'd much rather trust someone who was more equivocal.*

I can quite believe Nikon is better for some things. What I don't quite get is why someone as high profile as this guy can't run two systems - if he believes Nikon is best for BIF but Canon better for other things, why does he need to 'jump ship' wholesale? If I had a few thousand spare pounds or dollars, I'd probably run two or more systems.

*If I'm misrepresenting him, my apologies; I don't know him or his work, rather I'm going by what people here have quoted him as saying.

Hi Folks.
Personally I have trouble taking advice from people who don’t know the difference between advice and advise!  ::)

Not quite as bad as confusing a vise for a vice! ;)

(Although I have just discovered that the British English is vice for both, which I am surprised by and undermines my joke :( ).
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

privatebydesign

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 12:37:30 PM »

I showed you.

So the part where he said "Do understand that many others, more skilled than I, have made images with their Canon gear." (that quote is above the picture you cut into this thread) didn't register?

The guy is a pro photographer who makes money teaching in his own workshops! To say he couldn't achieve that shot with a Canon camera in decades of trying, despite evidence to the contrary, is (at best) a cheap shot, no its worse than that, it is dishonest. He is lying.

I don't care if he prefers Nikon or Sony to Canon for whatever reason he might, but to lie about the differences in capabilities given his influence and position in the bird photography genre is an outright betrayal of everything honest and fair.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 12:37:30 PM »