May 27, 2018, 04:29:38 AM

Author Topic: Hejnar Macro Rails  (Read 7932 times)

chrysoberyl

• EOS 5DS R
  • 6D
Re: Hejnar Macro Rails
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »
I like this rail!  Very well made and just what I need.

1 cm calcite crystal.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:10:22 AM by chrysoberyl »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »
The subject had me thinking about focus rails.  I also started researching stacking software.

One interesting and helpful article can be found in the help files for Zerene Stacker.  They do not sell rails, so its purely based on the facts as seen by the author.

It has me thinking that either using the focus ring or my bellows would do well for the larger subjects that I do, I currently have no interest in photographing extremely tiny subjects, but then, a motorized screw or a microscope focus block(whatever that is) looks best.  I noted that there were only 3 entries for ideal, and all three used the rear of a bellows to vary the focus of larger objects.  Some methods are rated excellent.

So, consider what you will be photographing and pick your tool knowing its limitations.

http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/docs/troubleshooting/ringversusrail
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:10:39 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

Zeidora

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
microscope focus block(whatever that is) ..

It is the fine focus mechanism of a microscope stage. Some people get a cheap microscope off eBay, and just strip everything except the focusing mechanism, then use that to focus the camera or/and to move the specimen. Typically, a the travel distance per turn is 100 µm (compared to 1 mm of a screw focusing rail), so you can focus much more precisely. Hejnar make something equivalent with the micrometer screws.

I personally don't use that. If I need the precision of a microscope focus, I use a microscope. It's much easier to use a tool designed for the job.
5D2 full spectrum, 5DsR, a bunch of Zeiss (some other) primes, for documentary natural history, macro, and micro.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2018, 11:06:29 PM »
microscope focus block(whatever that is) ..

It is the fine focus mechanism of a microscope stage. Some people get a cheap microscope off eBay, and just strip everything except the focusing mechanism, then use that to focus the camera or/and to move the specimen. Typically, a the travel distance per turn is 100 µm (compared to 1 mm of a screw focusing rail), so you can focus much more precisely. Hejnar make something equivalent with the micrometer screws.

I personally don't use that. If I need the precision of a microscope focus, I use a microscope. It's much easier to use a tool designed for the job.

Interesting.  I have a old microscope out in my shop. Its really heavy and welol built, but too much magnification unless I bought a different lens.  I also have a inspection microscope with a ring light around the lens.  Its a 5X scope and has a long working distance.  I use it to inspect my camera sensor for specs of dirt, but have never bothered to get a simple camera adapter.  I guess that I should give it a try someday.  I have it mounted on a heavy granite slab to keep vibrations down.  Since I calibrated sensitive digital scales, I needed a stable platform and it seemed like a good place for the microscope.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2018, 01:51:56 PM »
My Novoflex Castel XL arrived this morning, bought from a photographer on ebay after some back and forth.  Its main usage will be on my light table for product photos.  I have a head bolted to it with heavy duty bolts, this will allow me to move my camera forward or backwards a bit, which will make a difference.  I can try it for macros as well, but my bellows will do a better job in the studio when mounted on the light table. 

I expect to use the focus method for most closeup photography, I really do not need to go to 1:1 or greater.  I have a Canon 50mm f/2.5, a 100L, and a old 55 micro Nikkor AIS   I've generally preferred my crop cameras for close focus use, I'll re-evaluate that.

Next is software.  Zerene Stacker seems to be very powerful, and is integrated with Lightroom such that it will convert images to tiff for editing.  Helicon will control the lens motor for a complete end to end solution, but has a tad less control over the output.  Neither of them could handle one stack of images that were too much misaligned due to extreme focus breathing of my 15-85mm zoom.  The 24-70mm f/2.8L II had no issues there.  I'll be trying primes, I just did not have one on my camera at the time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2018, 01:51:56 PM »